IGNORED

young men with beards

luke viia

young men with beards. 20-somethings. I'll come right out and say I'm not a fan of it.

My girlfriend is trying to get me to grow one right now (I'm 26). I can grow one alright, but beards on 20-somethings... just doesn't seem appropriate to me.

Lame question but I need input. Thanks.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a stupid-looking chinstrap beard from about 1999 up until this year, with a few breaks.

Full beards are kind of popular right now but I think they're on the way out.

I don't think it's really worth worrying about. If you want a beard, grow one. If you don't, don't.

I'm just wondering what the opinion is around here, I'm not growing one. I told the gf that the hair on my face will be liberated when I own a house and a library.

Mostly I'm wondering because this is a place filled with both relatively young people and a penchant for beardiness. Why all the fuzzy love?

I had a full face beard for a few years. I just tried it out and got used to it. I recommend you grow a full one and keep for a while. See how you feel then.

I grew a beard in my late 20s, and I have one now in my early thirties. It's just a beard. It's no statement. Sometimes I shave it off, sometimes I let it grow, sometimes my arms bend back, that facial hair length that you like is gonna come back in style, etc

22 and when Im not working, I like to have a big fuck off beard or possibly a moustache if Im in the mood.

Its usually pretty homogeneous and dark red.

I grew a beard in my late 20s, and I have one now in my early thirties. It's just a beard. It's no statement. Sometimes I shave it off, sometimes I let it grow, sometimes my arms bend back, that facial hair length that you like is gonna come back in style, etc

lol

They seem like statements to me, and I like making statements with my clothes. Everything I have is ripped up or patched, or a hand-me-down, etc, and beards don't fit into my grand style.

This thread isn't really about ME having a beard (that's a few years off. I feel like a kid now, and kids don't have beards, or if they do, they're stupid kids. When I feel like a beard, I'll have one). I'm just wondering what the general consensus of young-men-with-beards is around here, and apparently, it's a highly pro-beard attitude.

I guess beards just strike me as having a somewhat serious or pretentious air about them. I'd grow a silly beard, I guess, but that's a lot of work and I'd just get called a hipster everywhere I went anyway.

yeah try eating pho with a full beard and let us know how that turns out for you.

(as you can tell, young men with beards make me feel quite angry).

yeah try eating pho with a full beard and let us know how that turns out for you.

It's... pretty easy?

I mean, I keep my beard to formal business lengths because I are serious adult, and I'm not disgusting with pho, ymmv

It's... pretty easy?

I mean, I keep my beard to formal business lengths because I are serious adult, and I'm not disgusting with pho, ymmv

formal business length beards are an abomination, and should be considered a plague of modern society.

One should only be disgusting with salsa.

i guess i fit this 20 something with a not-very-manly beard description. Dudes older than me tell me to shave it off. I have only ever received complements on it from women folk so who knows

I guess beards strike me as having some sort of personal statement attached because that's how they've evolved historically. As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong plz), it's only a pretty recent development that beards have become (mainly) just a face accessory. You could also have a beard and just be a general badass in the past, but it's been appropriated by young dandies in the 20th century.

I mean, beards can hold power if you want, just like longhairs are where the rock n' roll lives, if only you invite the devil into them. You can also invite Jesus into your longhairs, but it's pretty rare to see someone actually doing that and not just posturing in Brooklyn. If Jesus REALLY gets into your longhairs, he'll give you a ponytail. I'm not sure which deities live in beards, but I think Yahweh and Zeus are pretty big fans. Yeah, think I'll wait till I develop my own religion to get a proper beard.

Guest Smuckers

I'm incapable of growing a beard. about a week after shaving i just look like an irish farm boy, with this blondy, gingery fuzz. i'm 27.

Yeah, don't think one week is long enough. I've been instructed to give it 4-6 weeks if you're growing one out for the first time. Maybe go camping for the first few irish farm boy weeks...

Guest Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald

Also another 20 something who fits the not-very-manly beard description. The only reason why I grew it is because I've got a weird facial structure and it's rare to find a haircut that suits me. Just so happens having short hair and a well trimmed beard is one of the few that compliments my face well.

It never occured to me until now that to many people I look like a pretentious douchebag trying to make some sort of statement. :sad:

Guest theSun

i had a chinstrap thing for a while. i just tried to google image searched "chinstrap beard" and find one in my style, but i just destroyed that computer in response to the results so i won't google it again.

i basically hate mustache and neck hair, so i just shave off the mustache and the neckbeard to about my jawline. shaving down to make that gay little jawline beard is just gay so i don't do that. trim the beard to a buzzcut length 4 (whatever that is)

i will grow that thing out again once it's not 90 every day.

i had a chinstrap thing for a while. i just tried to google image searched "chinstrap beard" and find one in my style, but i just destroyed that computer in response to the results so i won't google it again.

chinstrap.jpg

Archived