IGNORED

Disney buys Lucasfilm

Rubin Farr

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have actually never seen star wars. is there any point even watching the original ones if you didnt when you were a kid?

absolutely, people rave about Empire Strikes back, but my favorite is part 1, when they didn't intend it to be a trilogy. The movie is entirely self contained and doesn't seem like a setup for a sequel necessarily. Empire is good too but a little more drawn out and dramatic/sad. At the time the FX and set design in the movie were probably the most ambitious ever put to a single film maybe since 2001 a Space Odyssey. The problem Lucas fucked up A New Hope probably the worst in terms of his Special edition cgi enhancements. Empire he fucked up the least, and Jedi is kind of a mixed bag of things he fucked up.

If you can find the Laserdisc rips of all 3 movies, watch those instead of the 'special editions'. (those are the best quality ones available without the CGI enhancements...right?)

There was a limited edition of all 3 original trilogy movies released on DVD without any enhancements, including no remastering. It's a non-anomorphic transfer from the original laser discs I believe.

its beyond ridiculous that they went through the trouble of re-mastering and never just kept a 'work print' of that stage before all the cgi. At least that's what Lucasfilm people have claimed, makes me wonder if it's even true or that's what George Lucas made them say.

i have actually never seen star wars. is there any point even watching the original ones if you didnt when you were a kid?

I first watched them as an adult, well 20 something, lol. The design is pretty cool, and the stories flow pretty well (star wars and strikes back), the third one is ok and you watch it because it's the third one. Don't bother with episode 1-3, pretty boring.

You mean this bit?

Nah even worse

what....the......

what????

....wh...

why?

It's the only part of the entire 6 movies I'll fast-forward through. Lucas wanted to test the integration of CGI with live action for a lot of stuff back in 1997, this was one that didn't go well (original Jabba too). At least he fixed Jabba, but not that.

The alien sitting down playing harmonica at the start is still a good 3d work.

most def. It's actually really surprised he left all the stuff in Hoth exactly the way it was in the original movie (as far as not taking out any of the stop motion animation). The stuff i can get totally on board with is some of the cleanup they did of the bluescreen and compositing and even some of the CGI enhancement or redone ships they added in all 3 movies.

The saddest thing for me personally is my favorite one, A New Hope is by far the most massacred. Even with the so-called 'fixed' jabba scene, the entrance into Tatooine is so jarring and over the top it feels like I'm watching Phantom Menace with all those shots combined it's at least as bad as that replaced music video shit in Jedi. He left Empire and Jedi (for the most part) in totally watchable condition luckily.

its beyond ridiculous that they went through the trouble of re-mastering and never just kept a 'work print' of that stage before all the cgi. At least that's what Lucasfilm people have claimed, makes me wonder if it's even true or that's what George Lucas made them say.

I guarantee you eventually they will release a "classic" edition on BD/4K-BD, probably after Lucas passes on, or soon as another shameless cash grab.

It'll be the same Disney execs who keep greenlighting Pixar sequels nobody's asking for, but Disney knows they'll rake in a good amount of cash with the merchandising tie-ins (Cars 2, Monsters University, Planes (might as well be Cars 3). The only sequel they haven't made that people would actually want is The Incredibles 2. Brave was the last Pixar movie I wanted to see, and even that wasn't as good as their previous movies. They need new ideas.

most def. It's actually really surprised he left all the stuff in Hoth exactly the way it was in the original movie (as far as not taking out any of the stop motion animation).

You mean like this ? (it was a fun addition, but you don't feel as much tension, plus there's a stupid lightsaber sound out of nowhere while you still see it turned on).

wampa2004.jpg

I guarantee you eventually they will release a "classic" edition on BD/4K-BD, probably after Lucas passes on, or soon as another shameless cash grab.

It'll be the same Disney execs who keep greenlighting Pixar sequels nobody's asking for, but Disney knows they'll rake in a good amount of cash with the merchandising tie-ins (Cars 2, Monsters University, Planes (might as well be Cars 3). The only sequel they haven't made that people would actually want is The Incredibles 2. Brave was the last Pixar movie I wanted to see, and even that wasn't as good as their previous movies. They need new ideas.

yeah brave was terrible.

Also this 4K nonsense seems like such a cash grab, when you know that they originally seemed to be planning to go straight to 8k/4k. The decision to do the incrimental step would in part have had to do with economics.Not just at the fab side, but in the 10's of billions the studios were going to make shilling 4k prints to cinemaphiles, safe in the knowledge that five years later they would then be selling those same schmucks the 8k prints.

bleck.

The new and upcoming Pixar movies sound great.

They've announced more, or are you referring to the ones I mentioned, and if so, are you being terribly sarcastic?

They've announced more, or are you referring to the ones I mentioned, and if so, are you being terribly sarcastic?

Nope

Announced a few years back and given the release date of June 19, 2015 at CinemaCon last year, Pete Docter's follow-up to the Oscar-winning Up has been referred to by the bulky title of Untitled Disney•Pixar Inside The Mind Film for the past few months, but ComingSoon.net has now learned that Pixar Animation Studios has settled on a new title for the movie and it is...

Inside Out

Disney should be making an announcement shortly confirming this.

We've already known from the get-go that the movie will go inside the human mind, but we got our hands on a brief synopsis that gets a bit more specific with the intriguing tidbit that the film is "told from the perspective of the emotions inside the mind of a little girl."

Nope

Announced a few years back and given the release date of June 19, 2015 at CinemaCon last year, Pete Docter's follow-up to the Oscar-winning Up has been referred to by the bulky title of Untitled Disney•Pixar Inside The Mind Film for the past few months, but ComingSoon.net has now learned that Pixar Animation Studios has settled on a new title for the movie and it is...

Inside Out

Disney should be making an announcement shortly confirming this.

We've already known from the get-go that the movie will go inside the human mind, but we got our hands on a brief synopsis that gets a bit more specific with the intriguing tidbit that the film is "told from the perspective of the emotions inside the mind of a little girl."

Thank God... finally something new! Sounds interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived