IGNORED

We found something amazing on Mars

Nebraska

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is well bobbins. What's the point of telling us there's something amazing, but not saying what it is! Just wait and tell us when you can!

Talk about dangling the carrot.

an ancient Delorean with a Sony Walkman and JVC Camcorder in the footwell.

both are the c.6000BC models which are becoming increasingly rare and sought after.

The missing first page of the bible which reads:

"To my darling Candy.

All characters portrayed within this book are fictitious and any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental."

I'm a bit of a rockhound so I'm interested to see what this is. One of the last two rovers found a spot of relatively pure silica a few years ago, and it would be exciting for me if it's something of the like - a hydrothermal deposit or something.

However, Curiosity's mission is primarily focused on sedimentary deposits. A big find would be a biosignature of some kind.

The discovery was made with the SAM which is a suite of instruments that determine molecular

(organic) composition and measure isotopic composition. So maybe it's an anomalous carbon isotope ratio that would be characteristic of life, or some organic compounds, maybe amino acids. Pretty cool IMO

JPL spokesman Guy Webster made just this point today in an e-mail to TIME: “As for history books, the whole mission is for the history books,” he wrote. That’s not to say he rules out the possibility of truly big news. “It won’t be earthshaking,” he said in a later phone call, “but it will be interesting.”

And as for the scoop the NPR reporter and HuffPo announced? “John was excited about the quality and range of information coming in from SAM during the day a reporter happened to be sitting in John’s office last week,” Webster wrote. “He has been similarly excited by results at other points during the mission so far.”

http://science.time.com/2012/11/20/a-mars-announcement-for-the-history-books/#ixzz2D2b49bgJ

:cerious:

Archived