IGNORED

Million Dollar Extreme's Youtube account got pulled down

gmanyo

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Sam is not secretly a liberal.

His political beliefs are not like yours.

He's not Key and Peele. He's not Louis CK.

When he jokes about the things they joke about, he is not coming from the same place they are.

So what. I don't care about that at all. Norms political views are completely different than mine but he's still the funniest fucker around and seldom brings any sort of political shit into his comedy. I don't care about sams politcal views it's his attitude and how he's using them - which is in a really shitty way

seldom brings any sort of political shit into his comedy.

I don't get how you could think that

I don't care about sams politcal views

Hypothetically, would you watch a (e.g.) Neo-Nazi comedian?

Would you watch a Fascist comedian?

Or a comedian who thought gays should be executed...If he was hilarious, would you overlook that comedian's politics?

Edited by LimpyLoo

Don't we already do that with the misogyny in hip hop and the facist/ neo-nazi politics of certain heavy metal musicians? I dont think someones personal politics of beliefs should ever interfere with how you perceive their creative output bra

Don't we already do that with the misogyny in hip hop and the facist/ neo-nazi politics of certain heavy metal musicians? I dont think someones personal politics of beliefs should ever interfere with how you perceive their creative output bra

Unless their creative output is identical to their political beliefs

Then you don't have a choice, bra

For example, here's some of HP Lovecraft's "creative output":

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/lovecraft/images/d/d4/The_creation_of_niggers.png/revision/latest?cb=20141221165736

Now, don't let Lovecraft's political beliefs prevent you from enjoying the poem, bra

Edited by LimpyLoo

Doesnt concern me or the majority of the fans of the aforementioned genres of music or fans of MDE. It doesnt make me a fascist/ sexist for enjoying these things.
You don't have to worry about any1 on WATMM changing their core values + political views because of a band or comedy group they like.

I concede, a hateful poem by an author i know nothing about has made me realise i must condemn art by those whos beliefs differ from my own. Go heck yourself, buddy.

I never said that

I said when their 'creative output' is identical to their political beliefs

(As in the Lovecraft poem)

I didn't say 'if you disagree with their politics, condemn any and all art they do'

And to reiterate: Sam is not a social liberal

He retweets actual Holocaust deniers

He's not Louis CK

He complains about Zionist propaganda and cultural Marxism

So don't assume his politics are miraculously opposite of his far-right stand-up material

That is not what's happening

And no *you* go heck yourself, buddy

I think limpy you're probably morally right but I find it helps to take moral progress slowly so as to not spook those who are slow to acclimate, and let comedy be the most important.  This is funny, it doesn't hurt anything, people need to loosen up.  We need more humor in this shitty world, stop opposing it because you're degrading the world.  This hurts nobody, it's just a TV show

I think limpy you're probably morally right but I find it helps to take moral progress slowly so as to not spook those who are slow to acclimate, and let comedy be the most important. This is funny,

it doesn't hurt anything,

people need to loosen up. We need more humor in this shitty world, stop opposing it because you're degrading the world. This hurts nobody, it's just a TV show

Well, I don't know why people assume it doesn't harm anyone.

People seem to think that humor is just words entering your brain and pushing a little 'humor button' that causes you to laugh.

Have you ever thought about why things make you laugh?

Humor serves a few crucial--and very old--evolutionary social functions. Here's a famous study/theory from 2004 on 'disparagement humor' and its social consequences:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/249929611_Disparagement_humor_A_theoretical_and_empirical_review_of_psychoanalytic_superiority_and_social_identity_theories

That's the abstract, but below that is a link to the full publication.

I highly recommend it to anyone who thinks humor is some innocuous accident of human psychology.

TL;DR = one of humor's functions is to reduce social tension when *actual* social attitudes (e.g. racial egalitarianism) are *actually* being challenged

I think limpy you're probably morally right but I find it helps to take moral progress slowly so as to not spook those who are slow to acclimate, and let comedy be the most important. This is funny,

people need to loosen up. We need more humor in this shitty world, stop opposing it because you're degrading the world. This hurts nobody, it's just a TV show

People seem to think that humor is just words entering your brain and pushing a little 'humor button' that causes you to laugh.

Humor serves a few crucial--and very old--evolutionary social functions. Here's a famous study/theory from 2004 on 'disparagement humor' and its social consequences:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/249929611_Disparagement_humor_A_theoretical_and_empirical_review_of_psychoanalytic_superiority_and_social_identity_theories

I highly recommend it to anyone who thinks humor is some innocuous accident of human psychology.

TL;DR = one of humor's functions is to reduce social tension when *actual* social attitudes (e.g. racial egalitarianism) are *actually* being challenged

I never thought of it that way but it makes sense.  

The thing you're missing though Limpy is that I don't think they're parodying racist views.  I think they're parodying people who have racist views.  I think most people see this.  Or maybe it's not true and most people think they're legitimately espousing these views and pretending like it's just comedy

I think comedy is very useful in describing neurotic behavior that manifests itself at the level of society as a whole and maybe it will help people who actually espouse these views see that they are unethical

That being said, it's not even all of the views on MDE that are bad.  Some are good.  The "fresh tap" skit is actually good and describes government corruption and lack of funding for smaller name towns.  This is good, unarguably.  Then there are ones lampooning capitalistic behavior, people buying into consumer culture.  They show how shit it is.  It's not fucking genius philosopher level shit but who cares, it's still deeper (lol at the very concept I think it applies unironically) than most of the other stuff on Adult Swim and this is good for people to be exposed to.  Maybe I'm wrong, I acknowledge that, but I don't think so in this case.

Edited by Zeffolia

You guys I keep lurking in this thread because I am torn between kind of thinking MDE used to be funny, and nodding in agreement with Limpy. Whatever your politics are, it's a dick move to intentionally fuck with people who are really concerned and uncertain about the future, just for the lols. There's plenty of ways of challenging insecurities and preconceptions without being an obnoxious cunt about it. 

Also, I watched his reaction video about getting World Peace canceled and he very self-consciously avoided using the word "edgy", which honestly weirded me the fuck out for a guy who is apparently so blase about irony. Frankly I am starting to feel like the guy has some kind of agenda.

I gotta say also, I'm a fan of psychology student Limpy. :]

I never thought of it that way but it makes sense.

The thing you're missing though Limpy is that I don't think they're parodying racist views. I think they're parodying people who have racist views. I think most people see this. Or maybe it's not true and most people think they're legitimately espousing these views and pretending like it's just comedy

I think comedy is very useful in describing neurotic behavior that manifests itself at the level of society as a whole and maybe it will help people who actually espouse these views see that they are unethical

That being said, it's not even all of the views on MDE that are bad. Some are good. The "fresh tap" skit is actually good and describes government corruption and lack of funding for smaller name towns. This is good, unarguably. Then there are ones lampooning capitalistic behavior, people buying into consumer culture. They show how shit it is. It's not fucking genius philosopher level shit but who cares, it's still deeper (lol at the very concept I think it applies unironically) than most of the other stuff on Adult Swim and this is good for people to be exposed to. Maybe I'm wrong, I acknowledge that, but I don't think so in this case.

But Sam *does* have classical racist views.

Take a scroll through his Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/Night_0f_Fire?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

I don't know where to begin. Once you scroll down past all the book release news, things get pretty uncomfortable.

The first two examples that come to mind:

His retweet of a tweet about that Alt-Right leader (the one with the shaved-sides haircut, whatever that's called), and basically calling Neo-Nazism a mere "political disagreement", and saying his mother got what she deserved (whatever it was she 'got', I forget) for "disagreeing" with her son about Neo-Nazism.

His retweet of a tweet from a David Duke-style white supremacist basically saying how it's hypocritical that nobody was worrying about "fake news" 60-70 years ago.

Those are just the two I can remember, but have a peek yourself: there's plenty more where that came from.

can we stop taking mde seriously please they're a comedy group.

That's not a rebuttal to "comedy is not innocuous"

The presumption implicit in your post is that it *is* innocuous

I'm saying (and presenting evidence) that that presumption is wrong