IGNORED

is Confield AE's best album?

YEK

I met Sean Booth at http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?32358 and I asked him what Autechre tracks he liked best were.

He answered: "my favourite Autechre tracks?!" and then started naming them.

Among the tracks he named was the only album he named, which was confield.

Also, I asked him if any new Autechre was in the works and he said yes, that one was mastered a few days or so before, which became Quaristice.

I knew about Quaristice since 6 October 2007.

I asked him when it would be out and he said not until March 2008; that there is a six month tide when releasing near the holiday season is not the best idea, in his own words.

Thank you. You've done it like a real man, a boss. I remember they were unwilling to tell anything in interviews when asked about. Do you remember him naming other tracks besides Piezo?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you!

He did name at least three or more other tracks, but none of them come to mind.

This was over five years ago and I was rather drunk!

I want to say 444, but could be wrong.

I told him how much I love 444 and he seemed to be very happy with it: "we did that in one take!", said he.

We also talked about Depeche Mode and Mantronix.

I asked him what his favorite Depeche Mode album was and he said: "A BROKEN FRAME."

This made me so happy, since it has always been my favorite, too!

(He did not seem to care much for Violator: "it is too rocky.", said he.)

On Mantronix, I asked him: "The Album or MUSIC MADNESS?" and he said: "MUSIC MADNESS!"

We agreed on everything

He did get a bit angered when I asked him: "is Gescom Autechre now?" saying: isn't it obvious?"

(I thought to myself: "is what obvious!")

this is probably what actually happened:

tardbarker: "so, uh, you know you know, uh, d-- :hic: uh djouknow that one track? Piezo?

Sean: "Piezo?"

tardbarker: "Yeah, so uh, it-- it's pretty lush."

Sean: "Oh, yeah. Thanks. It is pretty lush I guess."

tardbarker: "Confield. Confield, you know, it's... right?"

Sean: "Mm."

tarbarker: "Yeah! And 444! It's..."

Sean: "444, yeah. Um."

tardbarker: "Sean?"

Sean: "Yeah?"

tarbarker: "Djou r-- uh, remember when you were in Gescom?"

Sean: "Yeah."

tardbarker: "That was awesome."

Sean: "..."

tardbarker: "Is Gescom Autechre now?"

Sean: "Isn't it obvious?"

tarbarker: "ARGH. IDIOT. SO STUPID. WHAT A DUMB QUESTION."

Sean: "It's ok."

It did go a bit like that, baph!

When I asked him about Gescom, I was asking if A1-D1 was Autechre and nobody else.

At the time, A1-D1 was a few weeks off from being released.

This is what I meant when I had asked him.

If it were understood that I was asking about A1-D1, which was not out yet, how could anything about it be obvious?

It was an honest asking.

Amen Lare, it is all good!

Sean and I were speaking for what seemed like an eternity, until the other lads told us that A Guy Called Gerald and Graham Massey were taking stage.

Sean and were standing side by side when they were playing.

I could hear him saying: "fuck yeah!"

Fuck yeah, indeed!

Thanks for the fantastic story tardbarker, I'm sure it will be passed down in ae lore throughout the ages.

"I once talked with Sean and asked him which ae songs he liked best"

"And? What'd he say?"

"I forget"

does anyone agree with lump about Autechre becoming exponentially more famous when Confield came out?
and does anyone believe that this is around the same time Aphex was de-throned the king of idm because of the very mixed reaction to Drukqs, at that point the expectations were so high i don't see how he could have kept the crown. Then this caused a sort of Autechre > Aphex dynamic among idm fans. Even though Analord is quite an effort, and impressive in it's own right i don't think the IDM super nerds really saw it with the same value they continued to see Autechre's post confield output. I know i didn't

Don't know about "best" (the term is too wide), but it is, i agree, the most mysterious, deep, and "electroesoteric" album.

my favorites are the first 3 tracks - always listening to them as a whole:

first, the beginning that gently starts playing around with your mind, mystic melody kicks in creating a feeling of some kind of a ritual, music starting to sound a bit crazy, trying to loop your mind like some program with it's repeating constructs, then...

it swooshes down and Cfern starts with more agressive, grown up beats smashing on your viscosed mind, melody from vi scose transformed here with more joking and sarcastic tone to it. Beats are growing on your mind, starting to be more and more agressive on glitching your mind. brain is starting to crack, "funny" schizophrenic sounds (like talking toys, clowns on a springs and such) swarm around your head, you staring to panic a bit, but the track steps down, giving you some time to take a deep breath before pen expers explosion.

And after that... it happens. Your mind completely implodes into pen expers madness. chaos and destruction is what it looks like at first. You are completely disoriented in this 4d space, your vision is blurred.. But.. your viscosed and cferned mind starting to get used to it. Chaotic construct of pen is compiling itself into a more stable sequence and the climax is closing in. There's the most amazing out-of-this-world vista already at the door. Your vision starting to clear. It's like those "magic eye" pictures - you focus in a certain way on what looks like chaos and suddenly see a clear picture. The mind tension you feel by concentrating on it is represented in the track with this high-pitch vibration you hear at the culmination of the track - check out it's muscle-stress-like randomness. Damn this shit's strong. Who would've thought that music can show such pictures. After the climax, your mind gives up, tension breaks, vision blurres back, carnival is wrapping up. :)

My second favorite thing on Confield is Uviol. I percieve it as a dialogue with some kind of an interdimensional alien mind, smiling at you, making tsk-tsk-tsk noises, desperatly trying to explain you something, showing you how weak your puny human mind is. Then it starts to make chess-like "moves", totally dominates you in every way and making "pranks" like squeezing your nose.

I even drawn a picture couple of years ago, trying to depict this picture i see:

post-9678-0-14454200-1360230608_thumb.jpg

If you're neurotypical LP5 is the best album.

If you're a bit special it's Confield or later.

Which ae is best is a more reliable aspergers diagnostic tool than any questionnaire.

It is not like Sean Booth is some wonderful celebrity or something, like he is a god.

He is a man, like any other.

Meeting him was good, that is all.

lumpenprol: the part of Sean's answer I did not forget is what I first put here, since I thought it may be (or have been) his favourite album, since it was the only one he mentioned among a list of other tracks.

This is why it has something to do with this post.

There is a reason why I close my accounts all of the time.

I have been here for years, maybe longer than most of you, but sometimes this gets a bit too silly for me.

lol? like it is beyond dreams to meet Sean Booth.

Fantastic story?

No, it was reality.

no worries. I met Sean and Rob too, many years ago pre-show on the Confield tour. I started chatting with Sean and then another fan came up with a joint and Sean's attention zeroed in on it, he ended up getting high with the other guy and giving me the cold shoulder. Can't blame him...

Now that is something I can believe about Sean!

I still wonder if what he said to me meant that confield was the one he liked best at the time.

Since it was the only one he named, I am thinking it was.

Now there are others which could be the one he likes best: Quaristice, Oversteps and now, Exai.

Maybe he likes one of those even more... ?

Now that is something I can believe about Sean!

I still wonder if what he said to me meant that confield was the one he liked best at the time.

Since it was the only one he named, I am thinking it was.

Now there are others which could be the one he likes best: Quaristice, Oversteps and now, Exai.

Maybe he likes one of those even more... ?

You need to consider that he wasn't that far from Draft and Untilted to properly distance himself. Ae don't seem to love re-listening their last output otherwise there won't be such radical changes.

Archived