Marvellously beautiful TED talk

Bitraete

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw this one recently:

http://youtu.be/Ks-_Mh1QhMc

Quite interesting.

Thanks, needed. I instintively knew that but it that's what makes me feel good about practicing kundalini yoga. Most of the times kundalini yoga poses are all about stretching yourself out, expanding and filling the space.

Moreover a picture from a favourite italian comic author came to my mind... I will post it here cos I feel like everyone should know about him, Andrea Pazienza.

Ritratto-Pazienza.jpg

i used to quite like ted talks but i think ive realised how white ppl they are.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lennart_green_does_close_up_card_magic.html

this is an actually good one tho would recomend (plus a hottie helps him out ID SMASH HER BACK DOORS IN)

e: joe rogan should do a ted talk saying about the aliens and dmt etc etc etc and calling women cunts lol hes my hero

steve albini is a dinosaur who has absolutely nothing relevant to say in this era about music "business"/"industry" and he completely misses the point of what palmer is doing/trying to do. he should have disappeared from collective consciousness as an important figure in music a decade ago or so.

wait, i don't get it...she raised over a million dollars and then asked people to play for free? what was the million dollars for?

"In May, Palmer posted a breakdown of where the $1.2m was going . She said she would use $250,000 to "pay off the lovely debt – stacks of bills and loans and the like – associated with readying all of the stuff that had to happen before I brought this project to Kickstarter". She also cited $105,000 for "7,000+ high-end CD books & thank you cards", $80,000 for art books, $15,000 to $20,000 for the visual artists, $150,000 for her manager, lawyer and other staff, $80,000 for music videos, $75,000 to $100,000 for Kickstarter and Amazon's credit card processing, and so on. "If we keep our expenses down, and keep the tour pretty practical and the video budget way down, I could probably put $100k of this in the bank personally, which would be great," she wrote – although she said she would be equally happy if she broke even as it would show her model can work."

by the sounds of it she had already made the album and wanted money to release it ?

scientologist. nuff said.

Oh wow, that's pretty surprising. Still though, doesn't make what she said useless.

I didn't know either. Meh. I love Beck and Isaac Hayes and they are scientologists as well. I don't get it but I don't like singling out members of that religion over any other.

(Palmer is married to Neil Gaiman, who is the son of David Gaiman, who was HEAD of the U.K. branch of Scientology.

maybe that's the connection? Also is this the Neil Gaiman, or another?

edit: oh nevermind, it is the Neil Gaiman. Never knew his family has roots in scientology. Wonder why he married this lady, she's quite tranny. Guess it's true love.

(Palmer is married to Neil Gaiman, who is the son of David Gaiman, who was HEAD of the U.K. branch of Scientology.

maybe that's the connection? Also is this the Neil Gaiman, or another?

if you're talking about the goth who never grew up, yes

wait, i don't get it...she raised over a million dollars and then asked people to play for free? what was the million dollars for?

"In May, Palmer posted a breakdown of where the $1.2m was going . She said she would use $250,000 to "pay off the lovely debt – stacks of bills and loans and the like – associated with readying all of the stuff that had to happen before I brought this project to Kickstarter". She also cited $105,000 for "7,000+ high-end CD books & thank you cards", $80,000 for art books, $15,000 to $20,000 for the visual artists, $150,000 for her manager, lawyer and other staff, $80,000 for music videos, $75,000 to $100,000 for Kickstarter and Amazon's credit card processing, and so on. "If we keep our expenses down, and keep the tour pretty practical and the video budget way down, I could probably put $100k of this in the bank personally, which would be great," she wrote – although she said she would be equally happy if she broke even as it would show her model can work."

by the sounds of it she had already made the album and wanted money to release it ?

Fuck this. Seriously.

Join the crowd instead of making eye contact with them and thinking you're providing them with a "gift" by doing so:

Open Bandcamp and Etsy accounts for the music and art.

Release the self-described "free music" under Creative Commons and drop the fucking manager and lawyer.

Call and email local and independent venues and booking agents yourself.

Take care of your own fucking debt - you didn't have to go to fucking college and a lot of her peers never had the chance to anyway.

I would suggest this but she'd probably say she feels sorry for me and call me the artsy theatrical equivalent of "being a hater."

As an alternative to Amanda's outlook or anything Albini says, here's an attitude toward making music I relate to more and agree with (@6:23)

Both Fenriz and Nocturno Culto have day jobs and refuse to tour because it would be inherently oriented toward making money off of their music. They refuse to mix their means of making a living with their personal artistic output so they never feel like the have to make music or tour to pay the bills. I don't think their extreme take is the only way to do things, but I do find it a lot more honest and inspiring.

Guest theSun

amanda palmer is just offensive, but obviously we are all jealous as she scammed her way into never working again with some shit music

ted needs some serious quality control

what is this i don't even

meanwhile plenty of punk bands toured across north america on shoestring budgets playing shitty venues sleeping in shitty motels and eating mcdonalds.

fuck this. i have no issues with musicians EARNING a living off their music but seriously...

i love the albini quote about her being less competent than GG Allin

Archived