IGNORED

Shpongle - Museum of Consciouness

jules

Shpongle has always been one of my favorite bands. The first 3 albums are all flawless in my opinion. Beautiful stuff. I remember originally they were going to stop making Shpongle albums after that - come back under a different name potentially. I recall there being talk of releasing the first 3 as a boxset for a few years, but then they suddenly decided that Shpongle wasn't over, and came back with Ineffable! And while I certainly do enjoy that album, I feel as though it lacks some of the originality and 'spark' of the first 3. Same way I feel about this new track, sort of "Shpongle-by-the-book" or something. That being said, Raja Ram is still one of the most badass musicians in the music scene today/ever! Man even used to jam with Hendrix back in the day, so I've heard. Any interviews with him are fantastic.

[youtubehd]VK6Z3HMkjmA[/youtubehd]

I got Nothing Lasts... a while back and I had the odd feeling that I should really like it but just didn't. I think it might've been better for the me half a decade ago.

you should still try Are You Shpongled? then. I found Nothing Lasts fatiguing, I can rarely make it through a full listen (though it has some great moments). But Are you Shpongled is fantastic.

nice, had no idea that made it online, i took mushrooms at this show and i wore a shirt that said DMT on it. At one point during SImon's set he looked over at me and told one his entourage to come talk to me about it, and then the guy just ended up asking if i had any DMT i could give to simon, and i said no. Great night though

nice you got to experience this live :) i've tripped a couple of times to this set myself. its been floating around online for a while now.

Oh, I also gotta second the Infinity Project recommendation, absolutely phenomenal stuff. Though I believe the Mystical Experiences album was the only one done with Simon Posford, pretty sure the others were just Raja Ram + Graham Wood. Another excellent proto-Shpongle release to look out for is The Mystery of the Yeti. Kind of a concept album about a hallucinogen-laced journey into the Himalayas to find the Yeti (and apparently also aliens). There was a Mystery of the Yeti part 2 as well, though I think only one track, The Herb Garden, was done by Simon and Raj (though it is a particularly wonderful piece, highly recommended).

[youtubehd]2Ai60GGm6JQ[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]d114h2iEjjg[/youtubehd]

• 2 weeks later...

I always felt that Shpongle was a little over-produced. Don't really listen to him anymore because i get sort of uncomfortable with this style of in-your-face trippy music because of a bad experience with psychedelics

Guest murphythecat8

Posford is dead to me. Up until 2001 he was really good. celtic cross, mystery of the yeti, are you shpongle, infinity project, Hallucinogen.

he use to be a god for me, was listening to only his music for three years. Still do while tripping, but nowadays, since nothing last actually, I dont care for him anymore and the last stuff he made was terrible imo, terrible, cliché, cheesy, really dissapoited.

In my opinion, one need to listen to 1996 up to 2001.

I have a pretty nice tracklist from him

do not forget to liste to the 6th and 7th revelation, or Eclipse: a journey of permanence and impermanence, mystical experience.

When you trip on mushroom, some of his music is just mind bending completely. It really shows that he id are you shpongle just after taking DMT, he portray exactly what a DMT trip feels like, but I dont know, ive moved on.

that's exactly what happened with me and the couple of idm-oriented friends I had at work at about that time. I tried to turn them on to Shpongle at around the time they had started listening to V Snares, and they basically went "what is this bullshit hippy shit?" Whatever, their loss. I may not be so keen on their later excessively Terrence McKenna'ed stuff, but I'll defend the quality of Are You Shpongled? to the death.

I got into Shpongle when I was super deep into liking Vsnares and still like both of them a lot.

• 1 month later...

I know some people don't like it, but I found the new album to be absolutely mind boggling.

Guest Kubazz

Yeah, i like new album too.

Still, I find Younger Brother - 'The Last Days of Gravity' Simon's opus magnum , that album is mindblowing. I highly recommend checking it out.

Probably one of the better sounding albums I've heard lately, but excellent production is to be expected when it involves Simon P. Haven't listened to it all yet, but I do like it a bit more than the last one, which wasn't that bad. The first one is still a classic and the third one grew on me despite having opted to go for many short tracks instead. The second one for some reason hasn't really hit me that much, although it has some nice tunes.

the 2nd shpongle album to me sounds more 'dated' than either his first or third. Probably something to do with the excessive samba/generic african tribal music fusion stuff happening the whole time. Although i will say as far as single tracks, it still has maybe 2-3 of his strongest top 5 tracks ever. I played the album for a friend a while back and I was surprised by how many samples he recognized, he claims the album heavily samples from that one band Combustible edison, and not in a clever or subtle way like blatantly ripping off riffs and stuff.

nice to hear a proper sounding goa track too out of Simon, 'How to the Jellyfish jumped the mountain' sounds like his most Hallucinogen style track since that silly (but still good) millenium single in 2000. Makes me really hope for a new Hallucinogen album at some point, he's still got it

my impression so far of the album is it's overall less cheesy sounding melodically, not as much world music fusiony bullshit. It harkens back to Simon's Infinity Project work, has a little bit of a chill out 90s quality to it but far thicker and more post 2010 sound pallette, but stylistically it's reminding me more of old Simon Posford which i much prefer. One thing i do miss though is his more dubby style songs like the ones on Are you Shpongled, that aren't overtly reggae just utilizing dub rhythms and echoes but going into totally weird directions

edit: i gott admit though, his wife or whoever it is doing the female vocals. They do not add a single thing to the album, in some ways it makes me lose focus on the goodness of the music. It just adds a level of mundanity to it that it does not need. They started appearing on Tales of the inexpressible, but have continued on each consecutive album

• 4 weeks later...

finally got around to this. some of it is a little shpongle by numbers but most of it is really solid. that jellyfish track definitely sounds like hallucinogen and the second to last track (kugla) is really sick. lots of good stuff, no big surprises, pretty solid release.

Archived