IGNORED

Too old to start?

Ifeelspace

For the past few years I've had this vague notion that I would like to try creating some electronic music. Not planning on making it available for public consumption, but I think I would like to pursue it as a hobby. I do fook all creatively if I'm being honest. I adore music, so I think it's a good place to focus my energies.

I just wondered if any of you fine people had any recommendations for *cheap* but functional music creating software? Also, can I just start making music with a fucking computer or do I need some hardware?

Finally, at 35 years of age and with no musical training, am I retarded for thinking this is even a good idea?

Thanx

ETA: I'm totally clueless about how to go about starting on this. Yes I could google it, but I rather have the thoughts of people I care about. And I do care about you all. Deeply. With my knob

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

btw im totally joking!

a) why should you care what anyone else thinks when it comes to what you should or shouldnt do with your life? especially with regards to something that's a personal hobby.

b) 35 isn't THAT old. im 32, so you're an asshole for trying to make me feel like i'm old. or maybe i'm in denial and we both really are just a couple of geezers. i still feel like i can kick some ass though... maybe senile delusions are seeping into my psyche?

3) just do it! grab some programs and start hacking up some tracks. and if you do something that you think is even remotely cool, put it in the forums here! worse that can happen is some asshole like me says its an analord knockoff.

e) dang dude

Depends what you want. As horrible as this sounds, pirate a few programs, and see which one clicks with you, then think about spending cash on it. I know I'll catch shit for this, but its my opinion on the software side and considering how expensive/cheap some are, you should explore your options before settling with one as they all have their ups and downs IMO.

The only hardware I would suggest would be a decent interface for recording live sound or syncing midi unless you plan to make music entirely from free vsts, your DAW library and pre-recorded samples.

Play around with things, experiment. It's awesome to see someone wanting to start making music later in life. It's the best of times and a damn curse to make your own music, but it's totally worth it.

i'm 36 and only finally figured out how to use ableton to the level i wanted/be able to do what i want with it this summer, so i don't think 35 is too old.

i'd suggest using ableton, because i like it a lot. logic is good too.

it's probably best to limit yourself at first to perhaps JUST ableton and the stuff that comes with it, it has synths and samplers and effects and such built in, you can add anything to it, but get a handle on using like ONE synth, and learn how to make all kinds of sounds with it, then eventually branch out to the billions of awesome other synths/samplers out there, and you'll get a bit more how to use them, have less of a learning curve since you'll understand the concepts.

i wouldn't bother buying any hardware at first, this will limit you to 44.1 16 bit audio, which is not a big deal for learning, and you can do PLENTY in the box alone even just with ableton. then if you find it's for you and you learn a bit get a decent outboard audio interface (pref something that does 24-32 bit/96khz audio) and some monitors, and perhaps a midi controller keyboard, and maybe a mic.

35? You aren't old at all. Make some music. There are too many options for making it for me to get into.. I use a ton of hardware, but that's just me. Get Ableton Blah.9 or whatever version they're using now, and get yourself a used synth. ... If that's too much money for you, I'm sure someone here will guide you to a more economical option.

Don't start thinking you're "old".. that is the WORST thing you can do.

Yeah go for it. Ableton is a nice starting place, there's tons of instructional videos on youtube. You don't need any hardware, but I'd definitely recommend picking up a cheap usb keyboard with a couple of knobs or sliders for playing around in realtime. Making melodies with a piano roll isn't the most inspiring way to do it.

Depends what you want. As horrible as this sounds, pirate a few programs, and see which one clicks with you, then think about spending cash on it.

This!

I found reason and ableton, especially in conjunction with each other, very intuitive to use but powerful for the more advanced users that know what they're doing.

Also, grab a few books on elementary music theory to get you started on how to write music!

Go for it! Fuck ANYONE who thinks you're too old. Ageism is dumb.

As for instruments/software, maybe look for second hand music making machines and see what you can make them do =) get a second hand four track tape machine to record onto - if you want a decent music making environment for PC like Fruity Loops or Ableton - they cost money unless you don't mind pirating. I'm sure there's free software out there you can do SOMETHING with though!

I don't many people start out with the intention of getting better than everyone else at making music.

There's a nice feeling when you make something you're proud of, and there's and equally nice feeling when someone says they like something you made.

It's also real fun too.

Depends what you want. As horrible as this sounds, pirate a few programs, and see which one clicks with you, then think about spending cash on it.

This!

I found reason and ableton, especially in conjunction with each other, very intuitive to use but powerful for the more advanced users that know what they're doing.

Also, grab a few books on elementary music theory to get you started on how to write music!

There ARE demos for a lot of these programs too. I'm not condoning or poopooing piracy since everyone can do whatever they want, but demos and trials usually last 30 days and can give you an idea if you dig them or not.

And no, you're never too old.

Oh yeah, I started my musicmaking using octamed on an amiga, so I have to give a shoutout to the current king of trackers, Renoise. It's bloody fantastic, but many people seem to hate the way trackers work. Give it a whirl anyway, just to see if it suits your taste.

Oh yeah, I started my musicmaking using octamed on an amiga, so I have to give a shoutout to the current king of trackers, Renoise. It's bloody fantastic, but many people seem to hate the way trackers work. Give it a whirl anyway, just to see if it suits your taste.

I love renoise when loading up the demo tracks. But I seriously can't figure renoise out. Too complex for me. =(

This!

There ARE demos for a lot of these programs too. I'm not condoning or poopooing piracy since everyone can do whatever they want, but demos and trials usually last 30 days and can give you an idea if you dig them or not.

And no, you're never too old.

You're absolutely right RE the demos! Sometimes they're limited though not just in the time you can use them but functionality and samples etc too

renoise is an extremely fast way to make beats. it seems impossible at first, but it is actually very simple. I have almost never used hex commands, just 808 or 909, saw, dsp, and automation. It's unquestionably the best value out there. Plus you can get it for free and save too, just no exporting i believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jbQlsV0sB5Y

i don't know if a beginner should start with a tracker. im thinking something more along the lines of flstudio. maybe ableton from what i hear. psycle is a completely free tracker that comes with some synths and drum synths and stuff, and is pretty cool, though. probably not nearly as powerful as renoise but it's fun. i really don't think trackers are good for beginners though.

i don't know if a beginner should start with a tracker. im thinking something more along the lines of flstudio. maybe ableton from what i hear. psycle is a completely free tracker that comes with some synths and drum synths and stuff, and is pretty cool, though. probably not nearly as powerful as renoise but it's fun. i really don't think trackers are good for beginners though.

Why not ? I started with Renoise and found it particularly good as a starting point. Its logic differs from the one of a "standard" DAW program, but I find it delivers a very direct control over the sound and encourages experimentation very well (which is, especially when you begin, a very good thing). Ok, it looks very weird at the beginning but once you've seen a couple of videos you're ready to go. It doesn't provide a very good work flow for mixing, but that's definitely not the thing a beginner should focus on in the first place.

I'd have to agree, when you first start out you can just approach Renoise as a basic step sequencer, with a built in sampler and fx, albeit abit different looking than the rest of the bunch. As your skill grows you will find that it's incredibly versatile. I don't know how to put it... Ehm it forces you to think outside the box, and then you discover there is no box.

Ugh. Nah. Whatever. Just give it a shot.

There is no logic or reason to it, you simply must have the audacity to use renoise. It will en-ableton(s) of ideas to form.

You have no cubasis for saying that.

Archived