IGNORED

Ital Tek - Control

cear

Guest Popemobile v2

This'un is on my wishlist of sorts, coming as it does off of the pretty phenom Nebula Dance, but could someone explain why it's priced as a full album? It's an eight song EP, and going by the samples, not every single one is likely to be a keeper, either. C'mon Mu!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I work with a security guard who grew up in Southside Chicago. He had it rough and was even hit by car in K-town that left him blind in one eye and slightly "off" in the memory/cognition department. I blindsided him by blasting "In Motion" as a litmus test. He looked at me with disbelief and confusion. I said "you know footwork?". I didn't want to assume every black kid in Chicago would know about it. He looked at me like "how do *you* know about it?". I asked him if this was good stuff and he said "yeah we snap to that". I explained to him that an Elvis Presley/Led Zeppelin/Vanilla Ice deal had gone down regarding whitefolk and footwork. He was amused but then I felt weird because I own no black-produced footwork since I've gotten it through Kuedo, Machinedrum, iTAL tEK, etc. It would seem contrived now to purposely buy black footwork because I wouldn't stop thinking about how I bought it just to appear egalitarian. Man I hate race in America tbh, it never sleeps. Even when I was supposed to be "transcending" it with my co-worker.

Anyway, back to the music

twahhhh????

I work with a security guard who grew up in Southside Chicago. He had it rough and was even hit by car in K-town that left him blind in one eye and slightly "off" in the memory/cognition department. I blindsided him by blasting "In Motion" as a litmus test. He looked at me with disbelief and confusion. I said "you know footwork?". I didn't want to assume every black kid in Chicago would know about it. He looked at me like "how do *you* know about it?". I asked him if this was good stuff and he said "yeah we snap to that". I explained to him that an Elvis Presley/Led Zeppelin/Vanilla Ice deal had gone down regarding whitefolk and footwork. He was amused but then I felt weird because I own no black-produced footwork since I've gotten it through Kuedo, Machinedrum, iTAL tEK, etc. It would seem contrived now to purposely buy black footwork because I wouldn't stop thinking about how I bought it just to appear egalitarian. Man I hate race in America tbh, it never sleeps. Even when I was supposed to be "transcending" it with my co-worker.

Anyway, back to the music

I know what you mean, I feel that way about southern rap often, especially the Houston scene. There's people that bang screw and have know the rap scene in and out but are hardly familiar with all of the music he's influenced (beat scene, witch house, vaporwave, even some metal, etc) and likewise I find truly underground rap really daunting to get into. I'd like to go to Screwed Up Records and Tapes one of these days, I'm sure plenty lanky white dorks like myself do all the time, but I'll have to be in the right mindset. It's certainly a perpetual exchange, like I was amused when my dad mentions some 80s rap I never thought he'd listen to but it's because he was an airman in the air force. He knew all the lines to "White Lines" because his dorm mate had that song on reel to reel and would play it on loop.

I guess the best approach is just to focus on the music first and foremost, be honest and not overthink how you come off. That's the main reason people cross-over really, more people to share their music with (man that sounds so cheesy lol)

Beyond all the UK labels we're familiar with Teklife is solid, all Chicago DJs and footworkers.

FYI Young Smoke is excellent, he was just 18 when he put this out on Planet Mu:

Also, RP Boo, who most agree pioneered footwork, put out his first LP last year:

• 1 year later...

Also, RP Boo, who most agree pioneered footwork, put out his first LP last year:

astoundingly inadequate music no matter what the context

it's actually awesome tho bummer

astoundingly inadequate music no matter what the context

it's actually awesome tho bummer
"Awesome "

"no"

actually I love it when the hectic rhythm drops out for a brief melodic interlude and then the beat comes back full-force with the new melody front-and-centre. it happens in the last minute of Jupiter Ascent and the title track both. love that shit.

Archived