IGNORED

Burial - Rival Dealer

bubbhasdance

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ZombieLincoln666

I actually agree that it hasn't aged super well. I still think it's beautiful music and an amazing example of something coming from a place of pure mood and honest artistic intent, unhindered by academic discussions of skill and style and all that ultimately-irrelevant bullshit. but now, in the 2010s, it seems like the production is pretty standard after having been picked up on by so many others.

So it being highly influential means it hasn't aged well? That is nonsense.

Guest ZombieLincoln666

This new stuff is bad music plain and simple. He tried changing his sound by ditching the garage rhythms and dark melodies for cheese but kept all his (now) formulaic production tricks and vocal samples. It just doesn't work.

I actually agree that it hasn't aged super well. I still think it's beautiful music and an amazing example of something coming from a place of pure mood and honest artistic intent, unhindered by academic discussions of skill and style and all that ultimately-irrelevant bullshit. but now, in the 2010s, it seems like the production is pretty standard after having been picked up on by so many others.

So it being highly influential means it hasn't aged well? That is nonsense.

no, it sounding like a lot of other stuff in the present day means it's lost some of its magic and original punch. because there's other stuff out there like it now, and, dare I say, some of it may actually improve on the formula.

This forum confuses me so much.

How are people listening to this and thinking it's bad? I don't understand.

And not only that but Untrue ???????

Yall's straight buggin' yo.

(ya bunch of poop-touchers)

other than trying to frame Rival Dealer as a statement about Burial's sexuality (ugh, what the fuck).

that was cheap - kind of had that immature "i'm not saying that he's sexually confused...but" set-up

maybe he's just a fan of lana and the wachowskis' films? the speech sample also had bits about "opening new worlds and new doors" and there's plenty of other sample and reference connections that we could all make based on that bit - i dunno

(kind of burnt out for today discussion wise)

That vocal sample might be my favorite moment of the ep, actually.

Just because people don't like this EP, doesn't mean everybody just suddenly hates Burial. That is not the case for me at least.

He's still of my absolute favorite artists. Untrue, Street Halo, Kindred and Traunt are some of the best music I've heard in my life. That is never going to change.

It pains me to say I don't like this, because I really want to like it. But every artist makes music that divides the opinions from time to time, and sometimes it simply doesn't resonate with certain fans, that is just how it goes.

I respect that he tried to go for something new, but personally I just think.. if it isn't broke, don't fix it. And he seemed to have found the perfect formula with the previous three eps.

Just because people don't like this EP, doesn't mean everybody just suddenly hates Burial. That is not the case for me at least.

Never said that. Just pointing out he's getting the SP WATMM treatment.

At least people are not just blindly praising it like with so much other music. *cough* Drexciya...

At least people are not just blindly praising it like with so much other music. *cough* Drexciya...

Like Tomorrow's Harvest u mean

Like Tomorrow's Harvest u mean

Sendin extra shipment of anal poop ur way imo

Archived