IGNORED

Burial - Dreamfear (9th February)

fumi

these tracks are cool. nabbed them for Bandcamp Friday, $2. sounds somewhere between amateurish and overwrought exactness...nice sloppy combo that makes for a fun 20+ minutes. ain't perfect but that's okay, what is?

Spoiler

peter-griffin-family-guy.gif

• Like 1

is have a feeling that burial will turn into the caretaker eventually; the same idea regurgitated endlessly to the point of disintegration and oblivion. with the caretaker that makes sense, bc that's exactly the idea. unless burial is playing with the same idea, i must confess that i dont understand it  

; take this first track for an example, degrade it with distortion and filters you'll get just that - the caretaker's world, just not by evoking the early 20th century but the '90-ies with bonus sounds of vintage video games, vinyl crackle and zippos 

• Like 3

Dreamfear has grown on me. The part from the 8 minute mark on especially. I don't really care for the second track all that much yet but the melodies are nice. The beat just sounds a little tinny

I get what he was going for with the choppy, clunky flow of the tracks but he makes it a little too clunky I think. The beginning part of Dreamfear annoys me for that reason. He should drop that aesthetic

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 1:27 PM, danshoebridge said:

Still pretty rough round the edges though, strange how his productions sound so much rougher and more basic than the stuff from 15 years ago. It's an aesthetic choice I guess, but his beatmaking skills were so on point back then whereas these days it just sounds like a few sample pack loops.

Yeah, this is my biggest problem with his more recent beat-based stuff, the beats just aren't that interesting. I like a lot of it, but it doesn't have his own loose early style.

But I do like messy collage stuff so I do really enjoy these long pieces.

• Like 1

The tracks are growing on me. I find myself returning to them quite a bit. I do still definetely prefer garage Burial.

I think Chemz was his best rave type track, I return to that one a lot as well and I like the progression more than with these newer tracks.

• Like 2

I dig this release, although my initial reaction to the last half of Dreamfear was a bit mixed. I think it'll grow on me

Yeah this is good burial post untrue. This sound is very close to rival dealer ep

lol at 2:00 into dreamfear when the music cuts, a red light is turned on and darth vader enters the club.

• Like 2

some well done nostalgia in these two tracks. kind of sweetly optimistic sounding riffs. dreamy escapism w/a touch of the sad. will have to grab for when i want a piece of cake.

edit: so after listening to this on a drive... endearing bits. it reminded me of an old mix tape from the early 90s after it had been copied a few times.  nostalgia. the 'lord of ecstasy' (or whatever it says) vocal sample is just on the edge of being too cringe for me. but i guess hell raiser samples back in the day lived on that same edge.

i'm sleep deprived af and the release fit well w/that. nicely smeared and accompanied the rainy drive well.  i think he sampled himself in there somewhere

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The only good thing about this half assed, chopped up, chipmunk vocals and spraycan rattle collage bullshit, is that it made me listen to old Prodigy b-sides again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to this. Can't decide wether its fucking amazing or fucking terrible. 

Burial vs Old School Prodigy vs Top Of The Pops?

Feels like my brain has been replaced with a Kenwood food processor and someone has transplanted my brain into this food processor with two high quality E and now it's being blended at high speed back and forth through a time tunnel to 1993 and back to 2024 and back again. And back again. Etc.

Hmmm....

Burial no doubt knows exactly what he is doing. It's almost as though he is creating a sound that is fucking with my head. And I don't know if it is utterly fucking brilliant or just absolutley fucking isn't.

Strange magic.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 5