IGNORED

Burial - Dreamfear (9th February)

fumi

28 minutes ago, droid said:

I cant stand the Enya crap and the awful trance leads, but this is pretty great.

I love the awful trance leads!

• Like 4

On 1/25/2024 at 12:43 PM, hello spiral said:

Stay in ur lane bruh

Burial fuckin sucks

is this that thing where the unpopular kids catch the mildest bit of praise and assign themselves insider status?

Edited by NewSchoolScience
  • Farnsworth 1

Really liking this trancey, over the top side of Burial. The harsh techno ending of 'Boy Sent From Above' reminds me of Clark's 'Turning Dragon', which is a huge compliment.

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

14 hours ago, tokn said:

Really liking this trancey, over the top side of Burial. The harsh techno ending of 'Boy Sent From Above' reminds me of Clark's 'Turning Dragon', which is a huge compliment.

i was already interested in checking out this single once its out and now im even more so

• Like 1

Great stuff, a darker, scarier, ravier take on his classic sound. Hope he's got more tunes in this style on the way.

• Like 1

dreamfear = crap
boy sent from above = decent

i gotta say, the production feels ultra lazy at times, particularly on that first track. when i think of classic burial, i always admired how his use of vocal samples was always super considered (pitch, phrasing, etc) and how he managed to bring all these random musical elements together and make it work. now it's just messy and clashy as fuck, like the guy is using a soundboard rather than a sampler.

but the second tune is promising. of course, it still suffers from a bit of the ol' lazyitis, but there's more refinement and each segment/movement/whatever has more room to flex. i wouldn't be against an album of this stuff, but he needs to drop the whole '5 song previews in one track' approach that he's been wanking over for the past decade.

• Thanks 1

The proper FLAC does sound a whole lot better than the rip, someone must have recorded that from a Crosby into their iPhone.

Still pretty rough round the edges though, strange how his productions sound so much rougher and more basic than the stuff from 15 years ago. It's an aesthetic choice I guess, but his beatmaking skills were so on point back then whereas these days it just sounds like a few sample pack loops.

Production aside it sounds like each 12 minute song has a pretty good 6 minute track trying to get out. Those ultra-naff early 90s hardcore samples in Dreamfear have to go for a start.

This wasn't for me. A jumbled mess of half-baked ideas. Some of it quite grating. I much prefer the beatless, ambient stuff. Hope to hear more from that style again eventually.

• Thanks 1

Has anyone tried reaching out to Burial and asking him if he's ok?

• Thanks 1