IGNORED

Burial - Rival Dealer

bubbhasdance

Guest jasondonervan

Haha, I think we rubbed up FACT the wrong way during the AAA:

"Let’s not beat about the bush, for every normal person who likes Boards of Canada, there are five who’ll send a magazine death threats for joking about their new album containing a tribute to Countdown. For every civilian who likes the odd jog to ‘Xtal’, there are twelve We Are The Music Makers worker bees who spend their days scouring YouTube for possible Aphex aliases and who’d rather die than not have Selected Ambient Works soundtrack their monthly glue comedowns."

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worker bees? I thought most of you were unemployed :emotawesomepm9:

I agree with the general premise (just listened to the youtube clips and and yes, this does sound like the soundtrack to A Very Chav Christmas) though c'mon really, by internets standards watmm is surprisingly low in nutjob representation, and the ones we have are pretty harmless. And of course something like AAA is going to bring them out the woodwork.

I'm with brisk above, Rival Dealer could easily become one of my favorite things he's done, while the other two so far are more on the clichéd cheesy side of Burial. No surprises, I tend to have a love-hate relationship with his tracks.

Just finished my first listen, I fucking love it already. I am honestly very happy to hear something that finally sheds most of his trademark aesthetics off in terms of percussion. We can't have gunshot shells forever ya'll.

Surely some of you noticed "Rival Dealer" uses the same break-beat ("Ashley's Roachclip") as Eric B and Rakim's "Paid In Full" albeit sped up like old school rave percussion (and was notably the basis of Coldcut's legendary remix) That could be dismissed as gimmick I'm sure, but man did it work on me.

http://youtu.be/aWu0ciM-E5Q

Guest Little Lord Faulteroy

I like it

Even the Cheesyness

Oh, don't get me wrong, I like it too.

It's just that it's not what I was expecting. At all. In fact, it's crazypants. :)

yeah, i really like it too.

it's something completely different than we expect from him, and that is one of the reasons i like it. :)

i'm sure it will be more like his recent output, longer song suites. at least the 3 track, 28 minute time dictates that. probably two longer songs and an interlude.

track 1: 10:00

track 2: 4:00

track 3: 14:00

that's my guess

I was pretty close...

with each of the recent burial 12" releases, I've needed some time to warm up to them. but this time, Im not sure if I'll get past the overt cheese which characterizes my first taste.

even on the most expected track, rival dealer, the drum track sound almost like someone's 'Burial shreds'.. it seems to stray past decayed and crackly, now more easily described as frail

flol

Finally listened to this release Wtf. It's absolutely terrible. What happened? Goodbye Burial, I guess we had a good run, but I feel we've grown apart. I'll cherish the memories and the good times we had.

with each of the recent burial 12" releases, I've needed some time to warm up to them. but this time, Im not sure if I'll get past the overt cheese which characterizes my first taste.

even on the most expected track, rival dealer, the drum track sound almost like someone's 'Burial shreds'.. it seems to stray past decayed and crackly, now more easily described as frail

flol

ho ho zole

such massive

much lush

Damnit they're legit

This is a disappointment

so glad I'm not alone

I bitched a lot about Truant and Kindred before but now they are fucking lush compared to this

EDIT: fuck Fact, I don't listen to SAW

Truant and Kindred are absolutely fucking lush

Syncopated as Hell and broken up

This is so generic sounding and it doesn't have that trademark Burial feel in any way, it's just cheesy shit with static

I love that this made me cringe at times. I love that he wasn't afraid to get totally lost in Cheese. I am enjoying this because it is completely different than what I expected...

'Rough Sleeper' is an impossibly high pinnacle to top though and upon cursory listen nothing on here comes anywhere near it. Still, lovely.

I think the Kindred EP is the best thing he's ever done. Truant/Rough Sleeper is pretty far up there, too.

I... uh... I guess I'm not much of a burial tr00 fan, because this is just not working for me. Sorry FACT.

Archived