IGNORED

Wolves In The Throne Room - TBA

J3FF3R00

Re: http://www.wittr.com and the band's Facebook page...

New Recordings Penned For 2014 Release

Posted on: December 21, 2013

Barring the recent release of their BBC Session 2011 Anno Domini live 12, WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM have been keeping a low profile since the conclusion of the world-spanning tour that supported their most recent LP, Celestial Lineage. Now, word comes that the band, along with producer Randall Dunn, has been quietly cultivating the next chapter in their ongoing musical evolution. While little else is known of the impending recordings as of now, the brothers Weaver have confirmed that, the music is currently in the final stages, being prepared for release in the first quarter of 2014. An official communiqué on WITTRs impending 2014 actions will be announced very early in the New Year.

I'll edit the topic when we get new info about a title.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very much looking forward to this :music:

I think I read somewhere that they are changing their sound, that they had taken it as far as they could go with it and needed to approach from a different direction. So hopefully some surprises in store.

And I'll be first in the queue to buy tickets for their tour. WITTR are mind blowing live.

somebody help me understand BM. I want to, it's the one metal discipline I can't get into. I have tried these guys, because they're on Southern Lord, and Southern Lord is fucking awesome. but I can't wrap my head around the BM sound. it sounds to me like it's been recorded in a wind tunnel, all muffled and muddy. drum sounds are drowned out by the sludge of the guitar section. I don't get it. is that the aesthetic or what? I've noticed that some other BM bands don't have that kind of sound but the ones that do: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Shiiiit, I ctrl X-ed my post to view the new reply, hoping to avoid paraphrasing someone else's BM definition, but apparently that just gets rid of it on this computer. I can't be bothered to explain why BM production is the way it is anymore. Feel free to post this in the FWP thread, mods.

everywhere you wrote bm, I read bowel movement. epic post brah.

I don't wanna think about bowel movements in a wind tunnel

Shiiiit, I ctrl X-ed my post to view the new reply, hoping to avoid paraphrasing someone else's BM definition, but apparently that just gets rid of it on this computer. I can't be bothered to explain why BM production is the way it is anymore.

:cry:

somebody help me understand BM. I want to, it's the one metal discipline I can't get into. I have tried these guys, because they're on Southern Lord, and Southern Lord is fucking awesome. but I can't wrap my head around the BM sound. it sounds to me like it's been recorded in a wind tunnel, all muffled and muddy. drum sounds are drowned out by the sludge of the guitar section. I don't get it. is that the aesthetic or what? I've noticed that some other BM bands don't have that kind of sound but the ones that do: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

there is a lot of crap out there but there are so many good albums in the genre

it's a feeling, just get these albums below, listen to them 20 times and you will understand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4pDd4QV2Mic

I was never into Bowel Movements before seeing WITTR (what does that stand for? :biggrin: )

The heaviest bands I was into was Slayer/Obituary, however after never hearing WITTR live about 2 years ago (I'd never heard a note of one of their tracks before) I was blown away. There was some fucking magic going on. Me and my mates, and most, if not all the crowd were spellbound. Their sound live has some weird effect on you. I'd say their live sound destroys their albums. Ahhhh, I'm too tired to go into full details but it was pretty insane. The stage was almost black with gentle phosphorescent blue lights/LEDs and shit loads of dry ice. It was trance like (yeah I was a bit stoned, but even so).

I got into this band and Sunn O))) afterwards, but I still hate most BM. I'm discovering bits and peices like the album Altar by Sunn O))) and Boris which is another level.

Hope this makes sense I just got in from work. If you read up on WITTR they also say it is live where their sound comes together. And if thats not the sign of great musicians I don't know what is.

I got into this band and Sunn O))) afterwards, but I still hate most BM. I'm discovering bits and peices like the album Altar by Sunn O))) and Boris which is another level.

Boris is one of my favorite bands simply for the amount of sonic exploration they commit (hell New Album had a hefty dose of fucking J-pop aesthetics!), for example this shoegaze+BM track was recorded years before the very acclaimed (and rightfully so) Deafheaven album Sunbather came out...

Most of the black metal I like is "classic" second wave stuff, lo-fi, ambient, and experimental (Ulver comes to mind) and/or kvlt stuff - which WITTR qualify under easily. Darkthrone is the only band whose entire discography I dig. I really can't get into a lot of the "popular" post-1993 bands: Immortal, Dimmu Borgir, Satyricon, Marduk...though I'd enjoy seeing any of these bands live (still regret skipping Behemoth when they came to Austin). They're too silly to take seriously.

I dunno, I'm really into sludge, doom, drone, 60s/70s prog and ambient, etc. so that's why WITTR is wonderful to my ears. That kind of "black metal" appeals to me. Hell, they're just as inspired by Popol Vuh as they are Burzum.

black metal is the only type of 'modern' metal i find palatable because it's the closest thing to being a noise or ambient/drone genre. The distant recording quality is the main part of the genre I like. If most of these black metal bands recorded their stuff cleanly with no natural reverb or 'distance' from the recording source it would probably sound a lot more boring.

Guest disparaissant

gotta cosign the above

i also like the direction it's been taking in the last few years, with "non-traditional" stuff like liturgy or deafheaven. especially deafheaven. a little distance from the scandinavian satanic stuff really expands the genre and certainly makes it more interesting.

gotta cosign the above

i also like the direction it's been taking in the last few years, with "non-traditional" stuff like liturgy or deafheaven. especially deafheaven. a little distance from the scandinavian satanic stuff really expands the genre and certainly makes it more interesting.

Very True. There's also all that shoegaze-y/dream pop sounding that came out the French black metal scene: Alcest, Amesoeurs, Les Discrets.

Last year I stumbled upon the tape below. Turns out there's an underground black metal tape label called Red River Family whose roster is heavy on the WITTR/"cascadian black metal" sound.

http://youtu.be/bMCIKn_TiJQ

gotta cosign the above

and I'll cosign you my friend

the American direction, taking it away from all the Scandinavian satanic shit is nothing but a good thing imo. That deafheaven album is brilliant.

but the scandinavians have ALLWAYS been pushing and mutating black metal to the next level with or without the satanic shit

pitchfork just doesn't know about them :emotawesomepm9:

there are so many amazing black metal hybrids from there and what i think is cool is that these guys don't give a fuck about attention or being TRVE , they are amazing musicians that wanne make awesome music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Q1opjmuiHWw

*orgasms*

Guest disparaissant

fair point

this is probably gonna sound stupid, but i haven't really gotten that deep into european black metal because of the existence of NSBM. basically i wouldn't want to end up listening to crazy anti-semitic bullshit in a language i don't understand. or, god forbid, end up like dude from deafheaven, wearing a hate forest shirt without a clue in the world that hate forest is a srsly fucked up band.

so any recs of good black metal that aren't racist shitstains would be greatly appreciated, is what i'm saying.

fair point

this is probably gonna sound stupid, but i haven't really gotten that deep into european black metal because of the existence of NSBM. basically i wouldn't want to end up listening to crazy anti-semitic bullshit in a language i don't understand. or, god forbid, end up like dude from deafheaven, wearing a hate forest shirt without a clue in the world that hate forest is a srsly fucked up band.

so any recs of good black metal that aren't racist shitstains would be greatly appreciated, is what i'm saying.

I get this a little bit too. one of my friends is in a BM circle, like all her main friends like BM, and I seriously feel uncomfortable hanging out with them. I'm the only odd one out of that group, both racially and BM-ly. they haven't been overtly racist towards me so of course I could just be projecting but I just get an uncomfortable vibe off that bunch sometimes. like nobody will start or keep up a conversation with me if I'm in the midst of them and will instead talk to each other. I dunno :shrug:

fair point

I think it's awefull that black metal got a bad name cause of some stupid teens making crappy nsbm and this one dude who we all know

none of the albums i heard have anything to do with race, exept for the destruction of the human race maybe lol

if there is music and feeling on the album i'm sure it's 100% nazifree so go ahead and explore!!!

Fuck yes, can't wait for this, love these guys Celestial Linneage was amazing and I'm sure this will be as well.

Some other Black Metal/blackish bands I've been digging lately

Deafheaven (as is almost every other metalhead)

Agrimonia

Abyssal

Gris

Ihsahn

Inter Arma

Kampfar

Kvelertak

Secrets of the Sky

Wormlust

Yellow Eyes

also: they're not black metal, but doom instead, but every metalhead should look into Windhand, especially if you're into the more ambient atmospheric leanings, one of my favorite metal releases of last year

Black Metal and Doom are like the only genres of metal I can consistently stand these days... death metal and many of the -"core" genres try too hard many times.

fair point

The US is one of the central countries in the NSBM scene these days, though.

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-and-culture/music/156896/black-metal-antichrist-kramer

I think it's interesting how the writer makes a distinction between using non PC subjects as a source of inspiration or way to transcendence, versus using them as a political or dividing ethos:

Kramer’s releases inspire less than they separate; he tends to his flock more than he reaches to expand it. Kramer puts out his music, and the music of others, because it reflects what he believes and how he lives; SSP is the blueprint of his ethos, not an excuse for transgressive fashion or some aesthetic opportunity. His music isn’t “fuel” for anything; it is the reflection of the fire itself.

I think that most great black metal is subversive in one way or the other (while simultaneously being transcendent). That means - if you're afraid to get stains on your shirt, don't enter the kitchen. And basically, you have to make up your own idea about each band or release. Having other people tell you what is acceptable or safe is pretty touristy - i.e. anti BM/punk/etc. Leave without a guide!

BTW, Hate Forest are fucking great.

fair point

I get this a little bit too. one of my friends is in a BM circle, like all her main friends like BM, and I seriously feel uncomfortable hanging out with them. I'm the only odd one out of that group, both racially and BM-ly. they haven't been overtly racist towards me so of course I could just be projecting but I just get an uncomfortable vibe off that bunch sometimes. like nobody will start or keep up a conversation with me if I'm in the midst of them and will instead talk to each other. I dunno :shrug:

that sucks man, i got kicked out of my bm "friend" circle as a teen cause i bought an outkast cd haha, now i'm the only one who still listens to it!

usagi, you must come to meeee, let yourself go into the frost demon storm and fuck those pathetic posers!!!

Archived