IGNORED

How to present yourself on stage

granty

lazy-geeks.jpgB

Fucking LOL.Fucking LOL

Just go out there and play man. With time, your confidence will get a boost.

Don't go pretending that you're busy tweaking knobs during passages of inactivity, though, that wouldn't look nice. I'd prefer to see moments of stillness in the performer, even inbetween tracks, I'm sure that this would generate some positive tension in the audience, it'd make them appreciate that you are calm and in control of your set.

Maybe post a link with your set for any more suggestions re jokes, costumes etc.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the lols boys and girls! It's not like proper idm or anything, Here's the set, more or less:

https://soundcloud.com/lo_five/sets/self-release-lp-lofivemusic

I've decided I'm going to sit down with a table next to me for the laptop, drink glasses of red wine and say the odd thing between tracks. It'll be more akin to a light hearted smooth jazz performance.

I used to play a lot of electronic/glitchhop stuff and would go on stage or dj booth in my everyday jeans/tshirt/hoody and wear headphones and not look or talk to the crowd....but i never really enjoyed doing solo shit..

I've been playing in bands for years and learnt a lot about being on stage and crowd interaction.

here's my formula:

wear a suit and nice shoes

smoke a joint about an hour before

drink a coffee right before you play

drink 3 beers and have beers on stage with you

talk to the crowd and tell a few non jokes/banter

we like to play with the lights off and each have a lamp on stage and some incense burning

we play psych deserty rock with electronic elements...

If you're doing a noise set - pretend that it's a real effort, almost like you're in pain, when turning the dials on your mixer/effect box

yes, lol

he's so fake!

I like how he's working at maxing out the noise and all you hear is squeeeeee.

Hey the pots are really tough to turn ... takes a real effort to make a high frequency from a setup that's meant to make high frequencies

If you're doing noise, do something like this

yes! or this...

4. Do not acknowledge the crowd. You may wave at them or something when you enter and leave the stage, but that's it.

What? No way, man.

This only worked for RDJ at Coachella b/c people expected a sandpaper DJ set or some shit. At least say hi and thanks for coming.

But he's got his top off and everything. Real man :wub:

lawl

yeah there are far, FAR more kick-ass shirtless performances than that clip

this is the first thing I thought of when I read the OP

this too, @ 6:20 - 7:00 especially

I found after playing several shows of "live studio" material that I really really really hated either a) doing nothing or b) pretending to do something so I ended up acquiring some gear, and just having completely different material that you do live. Maybe kind of a bummer depending on how you market yourself, but the joy of actually doing stuff won out for me in the end.

I've tried to marry the two but have had unfortunately little success – I really think you have to have the performance/live angle baked in from the git-go, hard to strap it on later with out a big budget (ie: doing the big edm thing now and hiring a backing band).

FWIW I dig the sitting in a nice outfit with a glass of wine idea. ... especially if you decide to start doing noise.

I did it stood up, in front of a table with my laptop and keyboard, drinking a pint of Heineken. I had my headphones on as well, this was a good idea because I couldnt hear some of the quieter guitar parts through the PA and it sort of put me more in the electronic music producer category and less in the cabaret act category. Definitely the best and most enjoyable gig I've played - it was full because they showed a footy match on the screen just before I was on, and everyone hung around. I made sure the volume was such that people could chat if they wanted, but also listen - that definitely helped because a few people would have left halfway through my set otherwise. I didn't say much, just hello thanks and goodbye essentially, any extra would have been pointless because people were chatting amongst themselves. I really got into it, just enjoyedbthe whole act of playing music ive written and enjoy. It looked like other people were enjoying it too, got some applause after every tune and some dude was nodding his head ffs - like he was actually into it! Having more people watchining made it easier and less nerve wracking in a weird way, less embarrassing. The owner asked me back anyway, mission accomplished.

Archived