IGNORED

WATMM Video Game Remix Project - Brainstorming

Goiter Sanchez

It seems that there is a fair amount of interest in Video Game soundtracks on WATMM as evidenced by the many topics devoted to the subject. There are also many talented musicians here who may enjoy a context in which to try their hand at remixing/reinterpreting music from a specific game, franchise or genre.

So, I propose that I (or whoever would want to help me) start laying the groundwork to organize a new WATMM compilation specific to the music of a game, franchise or genre in Videogaming.

WATMM has organized such a compilation before: an excellent Mega Man-centric comp of remixes and covers. This is not to say that Mega Man would be off-limits though as there is a vast pool of inspiration and brilliance in that franchise alone.

Like many of you I grew up playing games on consoles in the 1980's and 90's. Revisiting these game years later after having become interested in composition it is clear how brilliant so many of these composers and compositions were/are.

So I think the first step is to throw out some names of games, franchises or genres that are of interest to you to work with as a musician or that you would like to hear retooled by WATMM's musicians. I'll leave this open for about 1 week and will tabulate the results/interest and make a poll similar to the 'Most IDM' system.

So my nomination would naturally be Metroid (franchise).

I wanted to suggest something like Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls or maybe even Hitman (Jesper Kyd made some great theme for the first four games). But I guess those are a bit too new and maybe not as iconic as something like Final Fantasy or Metroid. I dunno...

Would be fun to try working with something a bit more recent maybe? Unless it results in everyone getting sued by the big vidja companies.

Edit: Unreal Tournament remix album!!!

Street Fighter II (cliche as fuck for remixes, but still amazing soundtrack...)

Double Dragon (NES version)

Marathon 2 theme (remixes of the main theme only (haha))

Final Fantasy franchise, but some nicely done bits from VII would be stellar, especially crisp updated electronic versions

MOTHERFUCKING THIS!!!! i would love to do a medley of ff7 themes! maybe a breakcore rendition of the Aeris (aerith) theme...

My nominations are embarrassingly obvious: Mario and Zelda. I love pretty much all the music from those two, and there's so much material to choose from. I could see those being very successful comps.

A Final Fantasy comp would also be rad.

My much broader nomination: NES game themes

When you say themes are you referring to the most recognizable or iconic piece within a NES franchise (e.g, The 'Ground Theme' from Super Mario Bros, or the Overworld Music from The Legend of Zelda [as opposed to more obscure pieces from the same games])?

My nominations are embarrassingly obvious: Mario and Zelda. I love pretty much all the music from those two, and there's so much material to choose from. I could see those being very successful comps.

Obvious for a reason, especially that last one, jesus.

My much broader nomination: NES game themes

When you say themes are you referring to the most recognizable or iconic piece within a NES franchise (e.g, The 'Ground Theme' from Super Mario Bros, or the Overworld Music from The Legend of Zelda [as opposed to more obscure pieces from the same games])?

I meant themes in the broader sense, from whatever part of whatever game from original NES.

Yeah, those are pretty bad. I'm only familiar with the Mario/Zelda games from NES and Super NES, which all contain top notch music composition by Koji Kondo. He is one of the best video game composers of all time in my opinion... possibly the best.

Yeah, those are pretty bad. I'm only familiar with the Mario/Zelda games from NES and Super NES, which all contain top notch music composition by Koji Kondo. He is one of the best video game composers of all time in my opinion... possibly the best.

Really?

Donkey Kong country pls

Archived