AN APHEX TWIN BLIMP IS FLYING OVER LONDON

funkaholic

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jasondonervan

lol true, not like as if they wrote a article about the tuss or anything

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2007/may/26/electronicmusic.features16

To be fair, they are using the obscure get-out of mentioning the Analord bonus tracks from 2009, so technically they're correct. It's more the fact that they aren't even aware of speculation surrounding the likes of Steinvord, the EDM comps, etc. I'm not trying to engage a bun fight of whether Richard was this artist or that, but that yes, maybe he's been putting music out? I suppose because it wasn't carpet-bombed across all of social media, it doesn't exist, right?

From what I've read, journalistic investigation mostly extends to looking at the Aphex Twin wikipedia page, scanning old web articles circa 2007, and desperately scraping threads on watmm for breaking news. Not forgetting that any meejuh outlet with a smug sense of self-declared importance hates mentioning watmm as a credible source for fear of highlighting their general ineptitude. I dare say reporters for most of our friendly neighbourhood webslinging music news sites would rather have been dragged naked across a mile of broken glass than champion watmm in general for its part in the Caustic Window Kickstarter - it was fascinating to see the wild inaccuracies with every half-finished article produced by a teenager from their iPhone, with one eye on their craft beer sitting across the table from them.

Oh, and that Stencil trolling of FACT a few pages back was sublime. Even when they're looking in the right place, they can't get it right.

I was merely pointing out that this could easily just be a prank. Legality aside, how hard is it to rent a blimp, get some people to spray some stencils then say "a friend I have at Warp says its coming out soon?" You could accomplish all of that way before Warp got a legal cease and desist order together, and could just not make the legal battles public and even if you did much later, the stencils are there. Besides all of that none of the publicity stuff says anything more than 2014. There is no indication of anything else.

I respect you, man, but...

1) Caustic Window LP appears out of nowhere for sale (handful of copies exist)
2) RDJ makes UNANNOUNCED appearance at a festival (this took some planning, as organizers would LOVE to advertise his being there)
3) Expensive blimp design/manufacture/rental shows up over London
WHILE
3) Logo stencils start appearing in New York

Nothing is going on? No, obviously something is going on. These aren't unrelated.

(Yes, I know there are two 3s, they seemed to happen at the same time)

Prove to me they are related somehow. It could be RDJ himself pulling the stunt for laughs. I'm not saying it is, my point is that there is nothing but the logo tying any of this together. No one has claimed ownership. A friend of Grant's put the CW lp up for sale, watmm came up with the kick starter thing, RDJ probably likes the secret gigs because he doesn't like the hype. Where's the common thread in that?

Warp haven't even mentioned any of these events yet. Just looks very unofficial to me. The Tomorrow's Harvest lead up was worldwide and included actual music as well as video and visuals. Flying Lotus gets marquee guests and lots of art from a world-renowned artist. Aphex, who was arguably pretty instrumental in building Warp into what it is today, gets one small inflatable blimp and some spray stencils in two cities?

To be fair, they are using the obscure get-out of mentioning the Analord bonus tracks from 2009, so technically they're correct. It's more the fact that they aren't even aware of speculation surrounding the likes of Steinvord, the EDM comps, etc. I'm not trying to engage a bun fight of whether Richard was this artist or that, but that yes, maybe he's been putting music out? I suppose because it wasn't carpet-bombed across all of social media, it doesn't exist, right?

From what I've read, journalistic investigation mostly extends to looking at the Aphex Twin wikipedia page, scanning old web articles circa 2007, and desperately scraping threads on watmm for breaking news. Not forgetting that any meejuh outlet with a smug sense of self-declared importance hates mentioning watmm as a credible source for fear of highlighting their general ineptitude. I dare say reporters for most of our friendly neighbourhood webslinging music news sites would rather have been dragged naked across a mile of broken glass than champion watmm in general for its part in the Caustic Window Kickstarter - it was fascinating to see the wild inaccuracies with every half-finished article produced by a teenager from their iPhone, with one eye on their craft beer sitting across the table from them.

Oh, and that Stencil trolling of FACT a few pages back was sublime. Even when they're looking in the right place, they can't get it right.

it is pretty pathetic. hopefully Joyrex will have chance to get a little dig at these pretenders at SXSW

I guess thats what happens when you do not give any proper information in interviews for years and the only hint you give saying you have releases ready does not come true for several years. I don't think any music journalist has time to follow the gossip all day long given what they are paid for the article (even more so when its just online press which is often unpaid)

Guest Papillon

I guess thats what happens when you do not give any proper information in interviews for years and the only hint you give saying you have releases ready does not come true for several years. I don't think any music journalist has time to follow the gossip all day long given what they are paid for the article (even more so when its just online press which is often unpaid)

Yep. It's probably good enough for the average reader. If you cut through all the bullshit i.e. Steinvord etc. they are right about the dates regarding Aphex releases. Tuss was a different project (even though it's a RDJ project).

I was thinking the same thing initially about the dates but then realized I didn't want to mention it because I'd sound nerdy and petty.

It's pretty obvious there will be a new Aphex release this year at this point. I know that RDJ hasn't always been transparent about release plans in interviews in the past but this blimp thing is a sure sign of a pending release in my view.

I bet the caustic window LP helped push this along, who knows if we would have heard from Aphex Twin again in 2014 without all the fan support to get the CW LP released??

Anyway - really looking forward to hearing his new music.

Question for Jason Donorvan - you don't actually think Aphex Twin released music incognito (apart from the Tuss) do you? I'm not talking about Steinvord either.

I highly doubt it's a troll.

Considering "Aphex" and the Aphex symbol are registered trademarks, someone at warp would have caught wind of this and probably served someone some legal documents by now, as false advertising/marketing could be damaging to future sales blah blah blah and the "Aphex" brand.

what happened to those shirts with aphexes face on them that some black rap guy was making his own and selling?

Oh yeah lol I remember that.

Joyrex contacted someone at warp and I think they aren't being sold anymore? I remember he posted back that it was taken care of or something?

not taken care of, it's all legit

maxresdefault.jpg

Guest bitroast

Yep. It's probably good enough for the average reader. If you cut through all the bullshit i.e. Steinvord etc. they are right about the dates regarding Aphex releases. Tuss was a different project (even though it's a RDJ project).

I was thinking the same thing initially about the dates but then realized I didn't want to mention it because I'd sound nerdy and petty.

It's pretty obvious there will be a new Aphex release this year at this point. I know that RDJ hasn't always been transparent about release plans in interviews in the past but this blimp thing is a sure sign of a pending release in my view.

I bet the caustic window LP helped push this along, who knows if we would have heard from Aphex Twin again in 2014 without all the fan support to get the CW LP released??

Anyway - really looking forward to hearing his new music.

Question for Jason Donorvan - you don't actually think Aphex Twin released music incognito (apart from the Tuss) do you? I'm not talking about Steinvord either.

i don't really get the issue here.

this discussion stemmed from them saying the last thing rdj has released was the analord outtakes, which is 100% correct ??

Yo... Me and my friend sprayed exactly the same type of Aphex logo in our neighborhood in like 2003-4...attached picture

omg and that would have been before the analord series was released.

guys this is confirmation, new shit is imminent !!

Guest jasondonervan

I have my suspicions, but that's all they are. I've read much speculation here over the years for releases by one mysterious artist or another... but as far as drawing my own conclusions, I prefer to keep them to myself as they add nothing to the general discussion due to being nothing but baseless speculation.

Too easy to get carried away. Too easy to hold on to an assumption for so long that you eventually accept it as truth without proof.

True. They really look down on us.

Remember that (attempt at a) diss FACT published about WATMM right after the whole AAA thing, despite publishing a seven paged article because of it? :

http://www.factmag.com/2013/12/11/burials-rival-dealer-is-a-christmas-story-about-love-confusion-and-sexuality-and-is-the-best-thing-hes-made-since-untrue/

For every civilian who likes the odd jog to Xtal, there are twelve We Are The Music Makers worker bees who spend their days scouring YouTube for possible Aphex aliases and whod rather die than not have Selected Ambient Works soundtrack their monthly glue comedowns.

Yes. They called us glue sniffers. Quality journalism right there.

There's also this one where they called us 'worker bees' again for some reason. What the hell?

Sure, youll always have your hardcore supporters, for L.I.E.S. devotes shelling out import prices for barely-mastered 909 jams in Kristina Records, see the dedicated worker bees on We Are The Music Makers

The Crash of Navy Blimp L-8 - 16th August 1942

16th August was blimpy day yesterday

L-8 = Late (delivering finished albums to WARP)

Aphex Twin logo looks a bit like a Lambda symbol

Half-Life 3 confirmed

Reminds me of the L-event Ep by some Pop Duo from england, they had the same Idea.

Guest Little Lord Faulteroy

My thoughts:

There is probably a new Aphex Twin record coming.

This seems legit.

I like Aphex twin .

I like this campaign thus far.

I am excited.

I am happy.

I believe.

Archived