IGNORED

aisatsana

Dragon

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so the hauntingly beautiful performance from the Barbican - the acoustic piano piece described in the past as "Rhubarb II" and "better than anything on drukqs" - is now with us in full, studio quality. this is a track that cannot be described; its aching beauty is an instant reminder of that combination of raw, unfiltered sentiment and far-reaching technical skill that richard - and only richard - can possess.

That's just pure fanboyism. I love the track.

I think it was played by him, not programmed, but I could be wrong. I also pictured him playing ouside, or in a room with a huge open window. Some of the piano notes are almost hesitant, the performance has a live feeling and you can hear his feet on the piano pedals. But who knows with this guy? Hehe.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

I think it was played by him, not programmed, but I could be wrong. I also pictured him playing ouside, or in a room with a huge open window. Some of the piano notes are almost hesitant, the performance has a live feeling and you can hear his feet on the piano pedals. But who knows with this guy? Hehe.

Played live not programmed, recorded in one take. It's actually possible to do believe it or not. People have been doing it for centuries :wink: Couple of different mics set up on and/or inside the piano and one near an open door to the garden or possibly even out in the garden. There's one bit of post production on the last note I think - a single bass note added underneath

Played live not programmed, recorded in one take. It's actually possible to do believe it or not. People have been doing it for centuries :wink: Couple of different mics set up on and/or inside the piano and one near an open door to the garden or possibly even out in the garden. There's one bit of post production on the last note I think - a single bass note added underneath

We are two, then. I don't know why some people think it's programmed?

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

I don't know either dude. I get the impression some people on here seem to think all his piano stuff is programmed but it's not. Some of Drukqs is but not all I don't think. There are some piano pieces on there that sound really mechanical and odd but others (Avril included) have too much legato and feeling behind the notes to be mechanical. The Barbican performance was live too afaik - he played the swinging piano remotely via midi keyboard.

Yep, Erik Satie was way ahead of his time so I guess Aphex is a natural friend.

erik satie created ambient music erik satie i love him

I like the creaky noises in the live version.

It's better than Nanou 2.

But not Avril 14th I don't think.

I think it's better than both. Easily.

I think there's no "better" one. All of them are fantastic and adequate in an specific context

Yep, Erik Satie was way ahead of his time so I guess Aphex is a natural friend.

erik satie created ambient music erik satie i love him

I think it's better than both. Easily.

I think there's no "better" one. All of them are fantastic and adequate in an specific context

"I think" implies subjectivity.

I love it. But the live version on youtube hits me a lot harder (I guess because of the changing dynamics due to the swinging?) I don't know. And it is my favorite piano track of his. Not hype talking either, I thought that the second I heard the live version. I go to that clip frequently and probably still will even after having the Syro version.

so the hauntingly beautiful performance from the Barbican - the acoustic piano piece described in the past as "Rhubarb II" and "better than anything on drukqs" - is now with us in full, studio quality. this is a track that cannot be described; its aching beauty is an instant reminder of that combination of raw, unfiltered sentiment and far-reaching technical skill that richard - and only richard - can possess.

matt furie character vomiting . png

Nanou2 is IMO his most intensely emotional piece of piano music. There is real pain in that track.

They are all vastly different pieces and mean very different things to me when I hear them, I'd never say one is better than the other per say...

Guest Chesney

The album ends before this starts for me. It has it's place somewhere for sure but it's a skipper. Far too simple a piece and it does not get the emotions going. Obviously it does not matter what I think, it means enough for him to stick it on there so there it goes.

I don't know either dude. I get the impression some people on here seem to think all his piano stuff is programmed but it's not. Some of Drukqs is but not all I don't think. There are some piano pieces on there that sound really mechanical and odd but others (Avril included) have too much legato and feeling behind the notes to be mechanical. The Barbican performance was live too afaik - he played the swinging piano remotely via midi keyboard.

It's programmed.

Barbican was a midi clip triggered from Live, it was accidentally set to loop so it briefly started again at the end of the performance.

You can't hear any feet on the pedals but you do hear them move, that's because they're controlled by midi and close/contact mic'd.

It's programmed.

Barbican was a midi clip triggered from Live, it was accidentally set to loop so it briefly started again at the end of the performance.

You can't hear any feet on the pedals but you do hear them move, that's because they're controlled by midi and close/contact mic'd.

aah i see, i was wondering what that shuffling sound was

Archived