IGNORED

Looks Like It's Time To Move To Denmark

Joyrex

Well people are homeless in my society because they have mental disorders and can't manage money. So really need somewhere for them to sleep and other social services, stuff that has been removed over the last thirty years.

We have such places here.

You bloody communists.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

It's still time to move to Denmark.

http://www.transparency.org/cpi2014/results

corruption_2014.png

I'm gonna take severe umbrage with any chart that places Singapore at 7th in a "perceived corruption" index.

The corruption in Singapore is so bad is fucking endemic to the system.

Not to say that Denmark isn't a lovely place full of lovely people.

In Finland you might not be able bribe some public official to get some matter expedited, but political corruption is fine and well here. Backroom dealings and money exchanged for favours, not perhaps blatantly but through other more indirect means and therefor it's not perceived as corruption. And the ruling class is fine in upholding this illusion.

There's corruption here just like anywhere else in the world. You'd have to be pretty starry-eyed to think that that sort of stuff doesn't happen around you at all times.

• 2 years later...

Spent the majority of the past week in Copenhagen. What an amazing city. As someone who's lived the last 15 years in Los Angeles, I'd move here in a second if I could. Beautiful place, some of the best food I've ever had, everyone and I mean everyone rides bikes and no one locks them up. People spend their time with each other- there are just a ton of people outside in parks and sidewalk restaurants daytime drinking or having coffee. It's not as expensive as LA. Lots of cool modern art and architecture. I've seen literally one police officer the entire time here, and that says something considering the Copenhagen marathon was a few days ago and I've been outside nearly my entire stay. I don't know, maybe the grass is always greener, but I'm going to enjoy today's coffee and smorrebrod before I have to leave tomorrow. Will miss this place.

Yes, Copenhagen is awesome. Really feels like a mix between New York and Amsterdam. Good memories.

In Finland you might not be able bribe some public official to get some matter expedited, but political corruption is fine and well here. Backroom dealings and money exchanged for favours, not perhaps blatantly but through other more indirect means and therefor it's not perceived as corruption. And the ruling class is fine in upholding this illusion.

There's corruption here just like anywhere else in the world. You'd have to be pretty starry-eyed to think that that sort of stuff doesn't happen around you at all times.

Also, how about a dose of false equivalences? Perhaps you should spend time living in Russia. Corruption is not just a blank stamp you can put on everything. Yes, corruption is everywhere. Obvs. But that doesn't mean it's in the same league. 

First world boys crying wolves? Perhaps you should realise how privileged you are for a sec. 

Privileged yes, but why should I just shrug at the corruption in my country when it's not as blatant as in Russia? It undermines the legitimacy of the government the same and to an extent the democratic process. And the Transparency International CPI methodology has it's problems as well. Corruption is corruption, even if the degree of finesse varies. I would even say the type of corruption found in more "privileged" countries is even more insidious as it's so embedded in the structures that it's nigh invisible and continuous high ranking in CPI just obfuscates the problem and makes the citizenry go about their day thinking all is fine and dandy.

Basically, it's all the fault of capitalism in the end.

Privileged yes, but why should I just shrug at the corruption in my country when it's not as blatant as in Russia? It undermines the legitimacy of the government the same and to an extent the democratic process. And the Transparency International CPI methodology has it's problems as well. Corruption is corruption, even if the degree of finesse varies. I would even say the type of corruption found in more "privileged" countries is even more insidious as it's so embedded in the structures that it's nigh invisible and continuous high ranking in CPI just obfuscates the problem and makes the citizenry go about their day thinking all is fine and dandy.

Basically, it's all the fault of capitalism in the end.

Are you trying to say that there isn't/wasn't corruption in the communist countries?

In Soviet Union even getting basic healthcare required that you had good connections or you were able to bribe the nurses and doctors.

Power corrupts, and if all power belongs to let's say state officials, the easier they get corrupted. It's not dependent on the economic system. Corruption, like prostitution, is as old as humanity. Maybe even older. The only way to fight it is to build checks on power and decision making.

If the advocates of any political system said that they wouldn't need any checks for corruption simply because of the nature of the system, I would call that major bullshit.

Yep, Copenhagen is one of my favorite places, but Barcelona and Berlin would be some pretty fine livin' as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, Copenhagen is one of my favorite places, but Barcelona and Berlin would be some pretty fine livin' as well.

I've considered moving to Copenhagen now and then. Also Berlin but that would mean a pretty big cut to my income. All the discussions about jobs in Berlin have ended with a disagreement on pay..

Anyway, lately I've been seriously considering Reykjavik if I could just find a job in my field. Could be pretty chill. Just sounds like something I should try.

Archived