IGNORED

Aphex Twin: Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 EP

Dpek

This is a hell of a grower. I thought I wasn't that into it on my first listen, but I'm already on listen number 6 at this point. I'd love to hear covers of his early tunes through this gear. D-Scape in particular.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2nd listen through. Fantastic ep. Superb creativity and some unexpected (viberteque) groove/funk.

Has he made a new music niche/style again? What would this be classified under?

May have been mentioned, but that tank pic with his dad confirms what WATMM had picked up on earlier. It is indeed the correct Derek James in this documentary at 6:40:

[youtubehd]aIbpt1aDFqM[/youtubehd]

No fucking way.

Swansea is literally 20 minutes away from me. If his parents are still in the area, it looks like the chances of me bumping into Rich have increased tenfold.

EP is fucking ace! :music: Total bargain at £8. Sounds great at both speeds too. Over time I reckon I'll develop a preferred speed for each track as I like some better at 45RPM and others at slower/digital/standard (?) speed. Listening to it as a whole I really enjoy it at either speed.

Not sure if it's been mentioned already but is speeding up the WAVs by 35% (e.g. in Audacity using Change Speed effect*) the best way to simulate the change in RPM sans vinyl?

Cheers

* for anyone doing this you can use the Chain tool in the File menu to convert all the tracks in one go. :emotawesomepm9:

Brilliant EP! I hope this inspires other people to make music in this way. Imagine if it got people out into their sheds trying to make all these contraptions, I think that would be a breath of fresh air quite literally for some musicians. I would not know where to start but I can just imagine youtube videos starting to show up with tutorials on how to make little computer controlled acoustic instruments. Maybe you can buy them already I don't know but I think compact versions would be great fun.

Anyone that wants to hear the digital file at the equivalent speed shift that one gets from playing a 33.33 rpm record at 45 rpm should speed their file pitch up 5.12 semitones.

Anyone that wants to hear the digital file at the equivalent speed shift that one gets from playing a 33.33 rpm record at 45 rpm should speed their file pitch up 5.12 semitones.

...or +35%, yea? i.e. 45/33.3333333333333... = 1.35

Ta

Maybe you can buy them already I don't know but I think compact versions would be great fun.

would be fucking awesome if somebody just made a CV solinoid kit with little clamps to stick on whatever type of 'drum' or object you wanted. Doing something like this on a little drum machine instead of putting on a piano roll in the computer would take it totally over the top. There are a handful of musicians doing this kinda stuff, and most of it is forgettable, aphex and Pierre Bastien are the only ones working in this territory that really do it for me.

Maybe you can buy them already I don't know but I think compact versions would be great fun.

would be fucking awesome if somebody just made a CV solinoid kit with little clamps to stick on whatever type of 'drum' or object you wanted. Doing something like this on a little drum machine instead of putting on a piano roll in the computer would take it totally over the top. There are a handful of musicians doing this kinda stuff, and most of it is forgettable, aphex and Pierre Bastien are the only ones working in this territory that really do it for me.

Yeah I've wanted to do something like this for a while. I might try hooking something up with the arduino I've had sitting around inactive for years..

Isn't that what the HAT is? http://www.logosfoundation.org/instrum_gwr/HAT.htmlNice how he has all the instructions for construction there too.

I know its robot acoustic but it sounds like the Omnishphere synth.

To me the ep sounds more Squarepusher or Vibert than Aphex.

I much prefer electronic synthetic Richard.

Syro was brilliant beyond belief but this just feels like half worked on ideas. I cant see the "masterpiece" people are saying it is. Syro is a masterpiece.

i wonder how many people are saying it's better at 45 just so they can pull their dick about having bought the vinyl, rather than actually being individuals that lust after the fast beats such as i. phex'ee should have done a social experiment and made half the CD's at 45 and half at 33, oh the baffloonery it could have engendered. Perhaps he'll do it the other way around next time.

Of course the CD version is how she was recorded captain. and i mean no specific offence mind, this was more a mental positing exercise reflecting on the why to wherefores of it all. ie: of course i'm trolling vinyl buyers and pissed that i'm going to buy the disk but then have to rip it to get the speed i want it at so i can listen to it in the car, but in the scheme of things it's all good wotevfnor. [-;

I know its robot acoustic but it sounds like the Omnishphere synth.

To me the ep sounds more Squarepusher or Vibert than Aphex.

I much prefer electronic synthetic Richard.

Syro was brilliant beyond belief but this just feels like half worked on ideas. I cant see the "masterpiece" people are saying it is. Syro is a masterpiece.

I agree. I love SYRO!

This EP, its fun to hear new stuff. But there is a limit with what you can do with this kinda thing.

Its awesome with these instruments hooked to a computer, but yeah. Kinda limiting...

(And a big setup of these machines must cost a fortune, depending on how it looks. I have no idea.)

Its fun, and experimental. But i agree that syro is brilliant. This EP may grow on me...

I liked, piano un10 it happened. And some others... Was some good stuff in there.

Dunno what more to say, and im tired now. Gonna sleep. But its always fun when he releases new stuff thou! ;)

Its an experimental EP.

I have heard it at 45rpm and it makes me like it so much more at that speed.

What I am trying to do is convert the ripped CD to 45rpm using individual tracks in Ableton Live but not sure what 45rpm is in BPM and also what to pitch it up too???

Any ideas?

Guest bitroast

I loooove the ep and i love that its so experimental. Syro is so ... Perfect? And songy? And thats aaamazing!

But after being fan of drukqs and etc. For so long its nice hearing something a smidge more experimental and looser. Fucking masterpiece work in its own right.

Processing robot acoustic drums through a outboard reverb effect gated only at the end of the 4th bar to make it sound like a sampled break could well be audio geek pranksterism. That's what I assumed anyway. Sorta goes along with applying big vintage analog chorus(?), realtime reverse delay(?), subtle spectral effects(?) etc in order to create (x) on an EP called Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments. Magic.

x=10/10 +1 for the dog bark.

now about that midi pipe organ...

Of course the CD version is how she was recorded captain.

ah, but maybe he recorded parts of it at what would end up being 33rpm and parts at 45? I think it sounds like some of the piano parts have been slowed down, especially in the first track

But there is a limit with what you can do with this kinda thing.

aw, limits to acoustic instruments? adorable

What I am trying to do is convert the ripped CD to 45rpm using individual tracks in Ableton Live but not sure what 45rpm is in BPM and also what to pitch it up too???

Any ideas?

don't use ableton, use a wave editor and speed it up 135%

Archived