IGNORED

Aphex Twin: Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 EP

Dpek

Was more disappointed than surprised. Sure, it sounds like acoustic instruments alright, but the kids here putting it on the pedastal seems pretty pathetic and disgusting.

Acoustic instruments, pretty cool, would've been nicer if there were more than mostly percussive instruments.

Music progression, not so much, too simple, if he's trying to do similar music as druqs tracks then that's fine.

I wanna see syro bpm and its complexity in polyrhythm using acoustic instruments. That'd be super awesome.

I was more impressed with Tom's Music for Robots.

kanyelaugh.png

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The EP is great.

Only on WATMM would anyone seriously suggest limited abilities of acoustic instruments, that they're somehow inferior to electronics. Just utter ignorance.

I might be remembering wrong but didn't sean from autechre say in the AAA, something along the lines of they didn't work with acoustic instruments that much, as they found them too limiting, in that you couldn't manipulate the sound enough...

I dunno why everyone is getting so upset about people calling acoustic instruments limited. Isn't that kind of a fact? I'm not bashing the EP here but the snare sounds sound like a snare being hit with a stick...like they do on every track with a raw acoustic snare sound. Whereas with the use of computers that same sound can be so wildly manipulated it could sound like absolutely anything.

ha that's so funny to read, like if you hit any snare with a stick it will always sound the same, regardless of

what kind of snare drum it is,

velocity,damping,

tuning,

where on the snare drum you hit it,

what the space is like,

type of mic,

micpre, eq, desk, ADC etc..

literally infinite more variation/options at your disposal than every record ever made and every sample ever created, THEN combine the recording with all the same tools that you could use on any other sample, electronic or otherwise..and you call that limiting?

That was a really incorrect/closed minded thing for Sean to say, he's just scared that's all anyhow, ha, coz it's a realm they don't know much about, bless.

yeah i totally get your point, and obviously i was generalising hugely, but do you not kind of see what i mean? By combining it with electronic tools, does that not make the point of it being acoustic in the first place completely obsolete (terrible wording i know, sorry).

775a279d02.png

cheers for finding it, i was dreading having to trawl through the AAA thread trying to find something i might not have even remebered correctly in the first place

You can do wildly different things with electronics than you can with acoustics. There are some sounds, instruments, and music that simply would not exist without the technology behind them. I might even follow an argument that you can do 'more' with electronics than acoustic instruments. But there are just as many, and I'd argue more, sounds possible by way of non-electronic sources (at least currently. In a hundred years, we can have this discussion again). I've never heard an electronic recreation of a voice, a guitar, or a snare, that sounds near as rich and unique as the real thing.

Autechre simply aren't adept at tweaking real world sounds. That's not their field of expertise and they acknowledge that.

Sent using magic space waves

All of Michael Fakesch demon ep's, Cris Delucas aemic eps and half of my Funkstorung vinyl sounds 100x better at 33. Back in the 90's when I'd pick a bunch of random electronic music at the record store, none of it had recommended speeds labeled on the vinyl.

A lot was white label presses(record stores on Miami beach were run by dj's and producers that had a lot of insight on early warp, rephlex, skam, etc. for example before he became Push Button Objects, Edgar just dj'd hiphop & beat music and worked at Y&T records. He pushed good music on anyone that looked half interested.

So years later when they released cd's at the intended speed, It turned out I was listening to a lot of idm slow and had no idea. Still sounds 100x better slow. I think a couple ae records fit this description as well.

Interesting - I did the exact same with Funkstorung records : )

I also agree with comments above that the EP is not specifically designed to work equally at both speeds; generally 33rpm is preferable IMO

Guest HokusPoker

Amazon is shipping out my CD with 2-day shipping today

It will arrive tomorrow

Why didn't they ship it yesterday

Bleep is shipping my vinyl today with 7-14 days shipping :beer:

I don't understand people complaining about dogs barking or people coughing. I love that. If you're gonna do the whole analogue real instruments real microphones thing, it's almost mandatory to not have a clean recording.

I wouldn't be surprised if Richard had been recording all the tracks many times waiting for something to happen, for someone to bark, cough or ring the door bell.

After decades of controlling every little aspect of how the music sounded (except for slightly detuned analogue gear perhaps) it must be nice to let go and see what a little coincidence can do. Attaching ropes to a piano and letting it swing from the top of the room was already going in that direction, put something out there and see what influences beyond your control do with it.

I liked to have a little randomness and imperfections in my musical compositions (mostly because I'm not a good composer). It's freeing and it kept it interesting for me for a longer time.

Yes, there is an "infinite" number of possibilities of how an acoustic instrument can sound. However, the differences are mostly subtle (yet incredibly complex). On the other hand, the technology allowed people to create completely new, artificial variations of sounds that are not just subtle but completely explicit. Nothing you can really get from an acoustic instrument alone - certainly not in such amount. I also believe that in the future, there will be a comparable amount of complexity in synthesis that would allow you to create a real world sound that would be inferior only on paper. It's just a matter of time until the results will be distinguishable.

Anyone in the U.S. get their 12" from Bleep yet?

Mine shipped Monday and i'm still waiting.

Just noticed the vinyl is out of stock on amazon!

I'm in Canada, got mine. I know that's not the US btw, just figured shipping time would be similar.

Giving this a listen for the first time. It's bloody good. Can't get over how funky some of these breaks are. :music:

Also, I think this may be the last we see of Richard's little piano ditties. It's sorta got to the point where it's expected to have them in an Aphex release, and I know how much he refuses to be predictable so they're probably done with. Nevertheless, "it happened" is lovely, and "arpej" is even lovelier.

Also, I think this may be the last we see of Richard's little piano ditties.

I imagine this to be the case as well.

He said he released syro as it was the end of an era for him, the end of that sound. I imagine this might be the same deal?

Also, I think this may be the last we see of Richard's little piano ditties.

I imagine this to be the case as well.

He said he released syro as it was the end of an era for him, the end of that sound. I imagine this might be the same deal?

Well he doesn't have two releases that sound alike, or even similar, under the aphex moniker. Though some of his earlier stuff under AFX sounds pretty similar.

I believe he was maybe referring to the analogue fetishism of the last decade of releases, IE analords, The Tuss, Syro, etc. Not so much one particular album.

Who knows for sure though.

I kinda wish he got back into digital stuff, or into a hybrid of such things instead of using one digital reverb or something. Maybe that FM synthesis program he got that chinese student to write will help out with that. He also mentioned how he would like to use the Circlont sequencer for the next 10 years.

Yeah I thought a couple of tracks sounded nice at 45 but mostly 33 was the way to go. Still, it's a pretty interesting idea that I might try next time I put something on vinyl..

Joyrex or other mods, would it be too "early" to rip a couple of proper Aphex break loops for an EKT competition? I think it would be fun for some of the breaky ekters to try making tunes out of some of these drum loops. I already have the loops chopped and ready to go, but I didn't want to post since the album has no preview clips up yet

edit: I posted it on my facebook page for now if anyone wants to give it a try. Would love to hear what Wisp, Techdiff, Heorge Garrison, wAgAwAgA, Jodey Kendrick or Amen Warrior can do with these...

edit2: the 2 'breaks' as far as im concerned are

#8 - 0035 1-Audio

&

#6 - hat 2b 2012b

Great idea actually. I think if you would just use those two small break samples you wouldn't break the rules imo.

ok cool, here is my 2nd half-assed (haven't tried to make jungle in 8 years) attempt using those 2 breaks + 1 quick cut from the last track

I didn't sample any of the other instruments just the parts that sound like classic breaks.

I'll make a thread tomorrow

the 1st one is especially good for cutting up, it almost sounds amen like when you start eqing/compressing it

Joyrex or other mods, would it be too "early" to rip a couple of proper Aphex break loops for an EKT competition? I think it would be fun for some of the breaky ekters to try making tunes out of some of these drum loops. I already have the loops chopped and ready to go, but I didn't want to post since the album has no preview clips up yet

edit: I posted it on my facebook page for now if anyone wants to give it a try. Would love to hear what Wisp, Techdiff, Heorge Garrison, wAgAwAgA, Jodey Kendrick or Amen Warrior can do with these...

edit2: the 2 'breaks' as far as im concerned are

#8 - 0035 1-Audio

&

#6 - hat 2b 2012b

Great idea actually. I think if you would just use those two small break samples you wouldn't break the rules imo.

ok cool, here is my 2nd half-assed (haven't tried to make jungle in 8 years) attempt using those 2 breaks + 1 quick cut from the last track

I didn't sample any of the other instruments just the parts that sound like classic breaks.

I'll make a thread tomorrow

the 1st one is especially good for cutting up, it almost sounds amen like when you start eqing/compressing it

good fun.

i'd pitch the breaks down a bit, although you might have to time stretch it to tempo then.

Archived