IGNORED

Aphex Twin: Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 EP

Dpek

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

listened to the tracks at 33. Parts of diskhat ALL prepared1mixed 13, piano un10 it happened, hat5c 0001 rec-4 are probably the standouts at this point. It's all fine stuff really, but would love Rich to push these robots further. Which he may have done already & it sounds like shit.

I go back to that high school band that covered Alberto Balsam. That composition would have worked perfectly with Rich's robots. And sorry to say, would have been better than anything on the EP.

Guest murphythecat8

piano un10 is so good. he should do more of that.

I like a lot Diskhat ALL Prepared1mixed

but his other piano work, not for me. I see too much of a resemblance between aphex piano work and john cage and I much prefer cage.

Cage- in a landscape. all day for me

The EP is great.

Only on WATMM would anyone seriously suggest limited abilities of acoustic instruments, that they're somehow inferior to electronics. Just utter ignorance.

But at the same time I'm getting some 'wow amazing the sound of a piano. revolutionary!' vibes from some. What a strange, strange place this is . . .

Nothing in the post today.

Nice one Bleep, you useless cunts.

I actually got mine! cept the postman "didn't have access to the letterbox". Fuck that I don't live in Detroit, just leave it on the letterbox shelves.

Think I'll just crack open a beer and listen to the MP3s on my system when I get home tonight, and pick up the record from the depot tomorrow, cest la vie

Also looking round various sites and forums and reviews, this EP is pretty divisive. Interesting reactions.

I adore this EP. "piano un1 arpej" completely blows my mind, i would love to hear more fleshed out piano compositions in this vein that push JUST past the realm of human possibility, but aren't so far-fetched as to sound alien. i have been listening to that track on loop just dreaming of where it would go if it progressed into something longer and bigger. There is so much emotion in this collection of songs, makes me feel this supernatural excitement i haven't felt since 'SAW II' really "clicked" for me the first time.

I really hope we are lucky enough to get a full LP in this style. I almost feel like the last track "hat5c 0001 rec-4" could be a tease as to where this material is progressing to.

Nothing in the post today.

Nice one Bleep, you useless cunts.

I actually got mine! cept the postman "didn't have access to the letterbox". Fuck that I don't live in Detroit, just leave it on the letterbox shelves.

Haha, Royal Mail can sure be fucking lazy at times.

I wasn't planning on listening to this EP until I had my physical copy, but it looks like I'm gonna have to settle for the MP3s. Fuck sake. I may as well have grabbed the leak.

Now we need someone to mix the parts that sound better at 33 with the parts that are better at 45. We all know which those are.

+1 for DISKPREPT4 @ 45

The EP is great.

Only on WATMM would anyone seriously suggest limited abilities of acoustic instruments, that they're somehow inferior to electronics. Just utter ignorance.

I might be remembering wrong but didn't sean from autechre say in the AAA, something along the lines of they didn't work with acoustic instruments that much, as they found them too limiting, in that you couldn't manipulate the sound enough...

I dunno why everyone is getting so upset about people calling acoustic instruments limited. Isn't that kind of a fact? I'm not bashing the EP here but the snare sounds sound like a snare being hit with a stick...like they do on every track with a raw acoustic snare sound. Whereas with the use of computers that same sound can be so wildly manipulated it could sound like absolutely anything.

Guest chops727

The EP is great.

I might be remembering wrong but didn't sean from autechre say in the AAA, something along the lines of they didn't work with acoustic instruments that much, as they found them too limiting, in that you couldn't manipulate the sound enough...

I dunno why everyone is getting so upset about people calling acoustic instruments limited. Isn't that kind of a fact? I'm not bashing the EP here but the snare sounds sound like a snare being hit with a stick...like they do on every track with a raw acoustic snare sound. Whereas with the use of computers that same sound can be so wildly manipulated it could sound like absolutely anything.

ha that's so funny to read, like if you hit any snare with a stick it will always sound the same, regardless of

what kind of snare drum it is,

velocity,damping,

tuning,

where on the snare drum you hit it,

what the space is like,

type of mic,

micpre, eq, desk, ADC etc..

literally infinite more variation/options at your disposal than every record ever made and every sample ever created, THEN combine the recording with all the same tools that you could use on any other sample, electronic or otherwise..and you call that limiting?

That was a really incorrect/closed minded thing for Sean to say, he's just scared that's all anyhow, ha, coz it's a realm they don't know much about, bless.

Guest cult fiction

The EP is great.

ha that's so funny to read, like if you hit any snare with a stick it will always sound the same, regardless of

what kind of snare drum it is,

velocity,damping,

tuning,

where on the snare drum you hit it,

what the space is like,

type of mic,

micpre, eq, desk, ADC etc..

literally infinite more variation/options at your disposal than every record ever made and every sample ever created, THEN combine the recording with all the same tools that you could use on any other sample, electronic or otherwise..and you call that limiting?

That was a really incorrect/closed minded thing for Sean to say, he's just scared that's all anyhow, ha, coz it's a realm they don't know much about, bless.

Hi Richard

Archived