IGNORED

Aphex Twin: Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 EP

Dpek

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great. I assume that it's his kids in the background (most evident on DISKPREPT1 and on diskhat ALL prepared1mixed 13). Kind of like Bach composing at the harpsichord whilst the children amuse themselves nearby. It didn't immediately strike me as being much like his regular electronic work, but played at 45 rpm the melodies seem to cohere in a different way and suddenly it's much more similar to Drukqs, especially diskhat ALL prepared1mixed 13 (my wife adamat that this should be played at 45). Looking forward to Pt1 or Pt whatever.

Boxed sets are out of shot.

Took delivery of the vinyl yesterday and enjoyed experimenting with playback at different speeds, however now I've got the mp3s on loop, this EP is really getting under my skin :D Diskprept 1 is stunningly beautiful and as a whole this release is the kind of work I've been hoping Richard would one day put out, so I am one happy listener. Bring on Selected Ambient Computer Controlled Works and or further releases in the CCAI series, please!

HEADLINE

APHEX SAYS SOMETHING NICE ABOUT RUSSIA - GUARDIAN DOESN'T LIKE HIM

Not unsurprising, they work for MIfive'ing.

extrapolated by the paraflub of lesser brain that works there subtext, how dare he support putin and agree with disagreeing with the massacre in the donetsk by the neo nazi coup installed US funded poroshenko.

lol

Well, nothing unexpected here, this won't be the last one either I'm sure :) tagging this under 'pop and rock' says a lot about the expectations the writer had, and he seems to continue in that approach by comparing this with the greatest hiphop instrumentalists. Not wrong, but at least a mention of Pierre Bastien, Harry Partch or any other obvious influence from this EP would've made this guy a lot more credible (especially knowing that Aphex mentioned he doesn't really like hiphop in a Syro interview)

hat5c is already one of my all time favourite RDJ tracks. This EP really puts the rest of his recent catalogue into perspective. Like the Dude's rug it really ties the room together.

woah it’s weird that white artists will put out handsomely packaged (and priced) LPs of what are essentially rap instrumentals, while hip-hop producers embedded in the culture would never dream of it – and when they do, in the case of Madlib or Dilla, they’re much richer than this thin gruel.

I love Madlib, but don't listen to a lot of hip hop so maybe this is more on the mark than I think, but gosh this strikes me as the kind of thing a very young person would say, one who's ignorant of RDJs influence across pop music (including hip hop), and the music that is clearly influencing this EP. I mean, this is ONE EP, with an emphasis on technical innovation and exploration whose intended audience and atmosphere is so far from the libraries of samples and beats from those hip hop luminaries. And jeez, this has been covered a million times over, but if you're sensitive about white people appropriating black culture, you should get into another business because you're going to get a lot of ulcers doing pop criticism.

sooo, now i listened to the new aphex ep for the first time...

i have to say that i like it! of course it's something completely different if you compare it to syro, it's far more minimalistic and experimental. let me say that i like the sound of it, the way it's recorded and mastered. although experimental and a bit weird, it's funky as hell!

the short tracks might seem pointless if you read the tracklist, but listening to the ep as a whole is a great and hypnotic experience, definitely going to listen to this many times. this has the spooky and eerie feeling syro didn't have. it reminds me of the drukqs stuff, but further developed, combined with the hypnotic feeling of saw2. and if there will be more parts, i'm looking forward to hear them!

i prefer syro, but just because i'm more into his synth and dancey stuff. i think a combination of both would be interesting to hear! nevertheless i think this is a good ep. good to have him release again, apparently he told the truth when saying he's "in the mood again".

fav track so far: diskhat1

Guest progben

Looks like the reviewer didn't even understand the premise, i.e. acoustic instruments played by robots. No mention of it at all.

Archived