IGNORED

Al has a Monomachine (a journal)

Al N Aafiysh

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fucking retailer keeps telling me end of week, every week. End of some undefined week in the future? I feel like I'm never actually going to get this thing, it's been almost three months!

Fucking retailer keeps telling me end of week, every week. End of some undefined week in the future? I feel like I'm never actually going to get this thing, it's been almost three months!

I've had that situation before mate, so I feel your pain. It was only for a wanky Volca Bass though which I cancelled in the end and bought a TT-303 instead from a different retailer, so I was much happier in the end.

In your case though it's something worth having and you would probably want a different Elektron box anyway so they don't get 'hit' so to speak.

A good retailer should imo being giving Elektron a load of shit about this and try and get you something out of them extra to compensate.

On a slightly more worrying note, have they got your cash???

Yeah they have my money! I ordered it back in december during the black weeks sale and since then the price has gone up by $500 in australia so I should just be patient, but never ending 'just a week' predictions from the retailer are driving me insane!

On the plus side though, my nanoloop gba cart arrived today, it's almost like a micro-monomachine anyway (every synth parameter can be plocked :emotawesomepm9: )

making slow progress with the Monomachine, but I have discovered an interesting development.

According to this documentary I watched on Netflix last night, I can use the Monomachine to induce a form of trance on individuals.

This trance state will allow me to practice mind control on my neighbors.

So, I will keep plugging away...

Think I might have to concede defeat on the monomachine. If it's not here by the weekend I think I might get my money back and get something else like a second hand nord rack and new electribe or something.

Think I might have to concede defeat on the monomachine. If it's not here by the weekend I think I might get my money back and get something else like a second hand nord rack and new electribe or something.

pretty easy to get a monomachine on ebay. I got mine for $900 (mk II with +drive) and it was only 3 months past it's manufacture date & spotless.

if you want new, best to order direct from elektron. 3rd party retailers are usually hit or miss with elektron products.

I don't want to do international ebay purchases with something so expensive, especially shipping to Australia, I'd be in the same situation I'm in now.

Elektron don't ship to Australia unless it's through the one distributor for the whole company. To make things worse I actually ordered it through another store who uses them, so every time I ask I have to ask three people (retailer, distributor and Elektron) to even get a vague response. Elektron are barely even responding so I doubt it'd be possible to conduct a private sale.

I can't understand why they don't have a tracking number or something that can give me more details other than "next week" every fucking week for three months.

To make matters worse the australian dollar fucking sucks at the moment so even if I go for an international ebay sale I probably won't get it for the black weeks price I paid ($1444) when shipping is factored in.

A guy on elektronauts is selling an Analog Keys for $1700, which is $850 less than the current price for a new one in AU, and he's near me so I can go and have a look at it. I'll probably end up getting my money back this weekend and going for that instead, unless some kind of miracle happens and the monomachine suddenly arrives by saturday. I could always sell it on for around the same price if a monomachine comes up anyway.

Lesson learned: don't order boutique electronic instruments if you live in australia

Guest Chesney

I would heavily recommend the Analogfour as an alternative. It's a lovely machine and a breeze to programme over the mono. The analogkeys can only be better. I would love one myself.

Many people say that you have to work to coax gold from the mono but I find that you can get lovely stuff from the A4 within seconds.

I would definitely consider getting your money back and going for the Akeys.

Good luck man.

EDIT: also with the newer machine you have the Overbridge coming which will be essential in getting your Elektron talking to your DAW properly.

Ok, forget that, apparently the monomachine has arrived and is waiting for me to pick it up from the store. Prepare for 1000 soundcloud demos while I figure out the sound design

Awesome! I was getting bummed out reading this thread and afraid that you'd cancel the order. I have a MD myself, and love it. Would love to have the monomachine and octatrack someday... The analogs look nice, but not really what I am looking for. I'd take them as gifts, though.

Ok, forget that, apparently the monomachine has arrived and is waiting for me to pick it up from the store. Prepare for 1000 soundcloud demos while I figure out the sound design

Fuck yeah! Glad you waited it out. I'll keep an eye on your soundcloud :)

I was just getting so impatient! I'm glad this ordeal is finally coming to an end though. I bet the store and distributor think I'm a total asshole for pushing them so much :P

That said though, it would have been so simple to give me a reply of "hey, elektron have been unable to assemble new monomachines until now, I'll give you a tracking number when they send it", rather than just constantly saying "next week" to pacify me..

oh shit this thing is so ridiculous, even more so than I expected.. gonna need to spend a LOT of time with it :D

But that's what I wanted. I'm sick of synths that I get bored of after finding all the cool sounds in the first week or so!

Guest Chesney

Amazing Modey. Stoked for you. Please do not gush about it too much, I had quashed my monomachine lust a good while ago, I don't want to awaken it again ;)

(please gush, I love to hear love for gear)

Is it your first Elektron? If so, you'll keep getting stoked for a while when you click with certain aspects and the deepness of Parameter locks.

Kcinsu: The Analogfour is a beast and as easy as the MD to navigate even with the smaller screen. The RYTM however I wasn't feeling. The sound is good but the UI felt wrong. The octa is a deep beast, far deeper than I need it to be and has a whole different file heirarchy than the others which is confusing. I wish they kept with the Brushed aluminium faces too. I don't really like the black with round buttons.

Yeah it's my first elektron device, hence why I was so keen to get it. I'm definitely going to have to spend today reading the manual with it on my lap; I already went through it when I was making my decision but considering I couldn't even figure out how to switch patterns without entering song mode last night I might have to give it another go!

Also considering deleting all of the factory patterns but maybe I'll just use a blank snapshot or something; some of those kits have some really nice stuff going on (one of them had a very close emulation of mellotron strings, not sure if that was intentional!).

yea basically don't use the first snapshot for your own stuff.

if you ever want to do a "factory reset", that first snapshot is overwritten with the factory settings/patterns/etc.

if you want some kits from the factory snapshot in your own snapshot, sysex them over to your computer with c6.

you can but this is tedious with multiple items, I.e.:

A = snapshot to copy from

B = snapshot to copy to

1. go to A

2. do the dance where you copy the item

3. go to B

4. Paste in right place

5. SAVE B

6. rinse repeat for every item

Ah true, I see there is quite a bit of loading time involved.

So far it's really great. I'm not having as much trouble with synthesis as I thought, but I haven't got in to making anything weird yet. I guess people think it's thin sounding because the default sounds for each machine are pretty basic?

Also it seems the kit doesn't get reloaded at every pattern change if the same one is assigned to the next pattern. Good for live tweaking!

Guest Chesney

Wicked man. Keep us updated with your finds. The FM and Vocal synths are the reason I wanted to try the mono.

Archived