IGNORED

Monomachine Compilation Tracks

Hey, gang! For the people making tracks for Monomachine compilation percolating in this thread (https://forum.watmm.com/topic/51937-monomachine-user-appreciation/), send them to me for mastering at paranerd(at)gmail(period)com.

Rules are a little loose, but I believe they are:

1 - Monomachine only with some external effects allowed.

2 - Deadline May 15th.

3 - Have fun.

If I have anything incorrect, correct me!

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

woah dat deadline

I barely finish anything on the monomachine but I may have something I can edit together from some jamz..

woah dat deadline

I barely finish anything on the monomachine but I may have something I can edit together from some jamz..

Yeah I'm prolly gonna have to do that too. Did a few over the last couple weeks but they were poop. I actually seem to be getting the best sounds from sequencing the volca sample with the MnM these days but that's not gonna fly for this thing.

Guess I'll take the reigns and compile this as well. Probably make a bandcamp for it and call it WATMnM since that's a great name. If someone wants to do cover art, that'd be great.

Also:

Rule 4 - One track submission per artist to keep it tidy for now. If there's a lack of submissions, we'll consider multiple tracks per artist.

Ha, wowzers better get on this.

Yeah shiet. I want to do a good job and make something with a little structure on this one but at this point it'll probably just be a lopp where I tweak arp settings and knob settings for a bit. 

If this compilation pushes MnM owners to get more familiar with it, I think that's a positive development!

this gonna be my first track made with the monomachine and I'M TOTALLY IN LOVE :catface: , and cause of lack of time i'll use only 0.1% of its capabilities, maybe¨... but also, it's impossible to show all its tricks in a single track. i still can't believe elektron discontinued it (and the md)!!!

the md is a beast, no question about it but in music production i'm more prone to melodies and cause of that the mnm is maaaaybe even closer to my hearth than the md

Guest Chesney

I tried last night but wasn't in the right frame of mind, hated everything that came. I don't have any trouble coming up with ideas but do struggle to jam in a musical way on the MnM whereas the MD is a jamming dream.

Will try again.

I tried last night but wasn't in the right frame of mind, hated everything that came. I don't have any trouble coming up with ideas but do struggle to jam in a musical way on the MnM whereas the MD is a jamming dream.

Will try again.

I had this the last 8 attempts or so. I was getting a bit discouraged too. The last one I did still wasn't good, but it was lacking in a way that it felt like I could grow off it. So I started worked off that last night. I ended up throwing away the original parts but the stuff I came up with to complement them is half-decent now, or at least I thought it was at the time.

This kind of "mutation" workflow is coming back to me now, and I think that's key with the MnM, at least for me. Letting myself make whatever corny melodies come to mind because I can tease out the interesting relationships they contain and bin the rest. Making sequences with very simple melodies or basslines or even just one note, in a way that I can easily augment and just generally fuck up the sequence with the arp. Finding 2-3 sweet spots in the arp settings and with the synth params so that I can easily change stuff up, I can come up with variations on the patterns and kits and interchange the two and do transitions, etc.

Things rarely sound good right off the bat with the MnM and that can be frustrating, but when you start taking advantage of its mercurial quality, the way it can turn on a dime, it gets a lot more fun and interesting. Then it just starts to feel like time is the only real constraint.

The bbox machine is better when it's not used as a typical drum machine, imo. The FM+ machine is a much better drum machine.

The bbox machine is better when it's not used as a typical drum machine, imo. The FM+ machine is a much better drum machine.

The SID is quite good too - you can use HP filtered noise for the snare and switch to triangle wave w/ a one shot LFO -> pitch for kicks. Easy to eat up your p-lock limit doing this switching, though. 

S-WAVE ENS is my favorite hi-hat machine, and you can morph it into dub chords or even lush pads too.

I do like the BBOX just to maintain some rhythmic bearings because it's so quick to lay some stuff down with it with minimal tweaking, and I don't feel bad about just throwing the stuff I do in there in the garbage. I generally don't just throw it out, though, because I like the sound of the kick, plus the agogo, vibraslap type sounds have these gritty, demonic textures and micro-rhythms at super low pitches. 

Six synth tracks and six MIDI tracks.

Sounds like someone wants to show off their skills with the old MIDI-out-to-MIDI-in trick.. or is it the old MIDI to outboard effects parameter trick? I do hope we have a little show and tell after the tracks are in. 

Archived