IGNORED

RSD 2015

Rubin Farr

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lamb watching their record get pressed, ooh the suspense!

This guy is what's wrong with RSD

This is who RSD was intended for, the lifelong fan who can talk about vinyl for two hours without a break. Not a pretentious twat hipster. Maybe they should check IDs at the stores, you have to be a certain age to earn your vinyl. Appreciate it, not fucking use it to brag on twitter or whatever app the kids use these days. Lol, old man out.

Why all the hate for the needledrop guy? He seems pretty genuine to me.

Having said that: stop buying vinyl you fetishists. You're killing the earth.

a bunch of music mastered digitally... pressed to non bio-degradable PVC discs that hold 20 minutes of music... degrade in quality with every play until sounding awful... eventually ends up in landfills and the ocean where they will poison the soil & water & break down into tiny nubs that fish ingest... will remain there for 10,000 years...

all so some nostalgic hipster can act like something sounds better because it's missing some of the frequencies in the digital master. they use the word "warm" despite having no idea what they're saying and are just parroting a buzzword the hipsters before them said.

but hey it looks cool on a shelf behind you in your youtube vids bruh

a bunch of music mastered digitally... pressed to non bio-degradable PVC discs that hold 20 minutes of music... degrade in quality with every play until sounding awful... eventually ends up in landfills and the ocean where they will poison the soil & water & break down into tiny nubs that fish ingest... will remain there for 10,000 years...

all so some nostalgic hipster can act like something sounds better because it's missing some of the frequencies in the digital master. they use the word "warm" despite having no idea what they're saying and are just parroting a buzzword the hipsters before them said.

ice cold burn - couldn't agree more

ice cold burn - couldn't agree more

indeed. I have some vinyl but I keep it to an absolute bare minimum, as in stuff like Steinvord. 'cause I'm honest with myself and I know I won't play it that much, that's the fact. So what's the point of buying it?

I was obsessed for years with getting a mint first press of Geogaddi, I finally caved in on a half drunk whim (it was in front of my eyes in Sister Ray London). Guess how many times I've played it? I look at it while playing the digital or cd lol.

Your kids browsing through your MP3 and FLAC collection to discover the music you love just doesn't have the same emotional depth for some reason.

It's clear that the sound quality isn't as good (http://www.npr.org/2012/02/10/146697658/why-vinyl-sounds-better-than-cd-or-not), but there's something nice about having a tangible artifact, like a souvenir. What's wrong with that? Lots of people collect toys made of plastic, and many of those things don't end up polluting the environment. Perhaps eventually (20,000 years from now) they will, but the mantle of this planet contains many harmful things, and life continues to move along just fine. The planet will be just fine. No need to worry. Maybe the planet wants plastic...

(Disclaimer: there are definitely a few fallacies in the arguments Carlin gives, but he's entertaining, and his point about saving the planet is correct.)

If I buy an album and love it enough, I will perhaps double dip and get it on vinyl. Only select works are worth a vinyl copy imo. For example, I really like Last Step's Sleep so I bought that, along with Remano Eszildn, and when I get the cash I will be getting Oneohtrix Point Never's R Plus 7 on wax too. I rarely pre-order an album vinyl, because it's too costly to do that for something I might end up not liking so much.

I would buy BoC discs but wasn't there problems with the latest pressings? Too afraid to buy them and end up with duds.

maybe we shouldn't post on electronic music boards. it's killing the environment.

we should also get rid of our computers and, by proxy, stop listening to all our digital downloads that are apparently so much more convenient and Earth friendly compared to their melted dinosaur brethren. I mean, since we're talking about saving the planet and all that.

we should also sterilise ourselves, because there are way too many people on the planet at the moment.

Are you trying to argue that an album of digital files is as harmful to the environment as the same product in a physical format?

Edit: also Carlin is an idiot who panders to pseudo-reasoning. His point about extinction, yeah, lots of species went extinct before man came along - but since man has come along, extinction rates have gone way up. Estimates now place it at 1000 times the natural background extinction rate.

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/current-extinction-rate-10-times-worse-previously-thought

His point about the planet having gone through worse things than us is subject to the same logic: we exacerbate the natural background rate. And by doing that we put all kinds of strains on the ecosystems.

Anyways - fuck record store day.

As far as the environmental impact and reconciling thereof, Father John Misty did a great job of putting it to song here:

[youtubehd]Zhb2ahDo-MI[/youtubehd]

Here are the lyrics:

Try not to think so much about
The truly staggering amount
Of oil that it takes to make a record
All the shipping, the vinyl
The cellophane lining, the high gloss
The tape and the gear

Try not to become too consumed
With what's a criminal volume
Of oil that it takes to paint a portrait
The acrylic, the varnish
Aluminum tubes filled with latex
The solvents and dye, oh

Let's just call this what it is
The jealous side of mankind's death wish
When it's my time to go
Gonna leave behind things that won't decompose

Try not to dwell so much upon
How it won't be so very long
From now that they laugh at us for selling
A bunch of fifteen year olds made from dinosaur bones singing, "Oh yeah"
Again and again
Right up to the end

Let's just call this what it is
The jealous side of mankind's death wish
When it's my time to go
Gonna leave behind things that won't decompose, oh

I'll just call this what it is
My vanity gone wild with my crisis
One day this all will repeat
I sure hope they make something useful out of me

maybe we shouldn't post on electronic music boards. it's killing the environment.

we should also get rid of our computers and, by proxy, stop listening to all our digital downloads that are apparently so much more convenient and Earth friendly compared to their melted dinosaur brethren. I mean, since we're talking about saving the planet and all that.

we should also sterilise ourselves, because there are way too many people on the planet at the moment.

This post killed a tree in Canada called Ellis

Has anyone actually gone up to Norman Records in Leeds? It's just a warehouse right? Still cool they get so much RSD stuff, but cueing outside must suck. I'm not sure there are even any windows for sunlight.

30E3068B-1022-4CD9-A474-C0764FC40DF5_zps

Your kids browsing through your MP3 and FLAC collection to discover the music you love just doesn't have the same emotional depth for some reason.

If you think 20 years from now your kids will seek out a working turntable to listen to your Boards of Canada LP after you die instead of directly streaming it to their minds in ultra high fidelity via neural implants you're delusional.

But I agree with oscillik, just don't have kids to begin with, then your legacy of stacks of obsolete media storage won't be a concern.

If you care this much about vinyl killing the environment, you should stop doing 90 percent of the shit you do in a first world country like driving or car or using a computer to post on WATMM

Oh ffs man lay off. This kind of nerd-logic internet troll shit is so boring and lame.

If you care this much about vinyl killing the environment, you should stop doing 90 percent of the shit you do in a first world country like driving or car or using a computer to post on WATMM

Well I don't drive, and I only post on WATMM to inform people of the evils of superfluous plastic consumption and tout the merits of the far better sounding digital alternative.

Free yourself from the binds of materialist hoarding! Sell your records on discogs and go out in to the world, lighter and no longer burdened by your collection of last-century media storage that will never truly be complete! I believe in you!

Oh ffs man lay off. This kind of nerd-logic internet troll shit is so boring and lame.

lol maybe you wanna lay those comments at the person that started with the whole nerd-logic internet troll bullshit?

you know, when intentionally trolling in a thread about vinyl, where there would obviously be vinyl enthusiasts...

but it's ok, I guess you're part of the oscillik hate group. aka the Cool Kids group :emotawesomepm9:

Archived