IGNORED

Massive Attack - The Spoils

BUNKUM

Loving this, and I somehow missed the Ritual Spirit EP... Also dig that one! I've enjoyed all of MA work over the years... Of course the early works are classics, but I was never let down by the later works.

^ me too. the only real bad moment I can think of in their entire career is Flat of the Blade from Heligoland, wtf is that tune.

they'll always have a special place in me cockles.

Ehhh everything after 100th Window has been pretty flat to me. I listened to Mezzanine the other day for the first time in a while and it's easily still top 10 of all time material for me. The new stuff is okay in isolation, but I just can't help but think about the past glories.

They do seem to have settled into a style and everything it starting to sound similar to me, same tempos and instrumentation.

I read this the other day about the Come Near Me video...

"The song itself is written and produced by Massive Attack’s Daddy G and collaborator Stew Jackson and features vocals from Ghostpoet. It follows January’s release of the ‘Ritual Spirit’ EP, which was written and produced by the band’s Robert del Naja and collaborator Euan Dickinson."

News to me if they are writing separately.

This EP might grow on me but first impression was that it was enjoyable but not as engaging as their Ritual EP. Like said earlier it's pretty much a given what their formula is, much like say Chemical Brothers or any other mainstream electronic artist with a huge legacy, trademark sound, and steady fanbase (Depeche Mode seems like a similar act in that regard). It seems incredible that I saw them on their Collected tour (their big greatest hits comp) 10 years ago!

I must admit my expectations were high because I fucking love Hope's vocals and the arrangement of "Paradise Circus." Also there's this group called HÆLOS I keep hearing on the radio that sounds like a mid-90s era trip hop tribute group who I find undeniably likable and makes me just re-visit older Massive Attack.

^ me too. the only real bad moment I can think of in their entire career is Flat of the Blade from Heligoland, wtf is that tune.

they'll always have a special place in me cockles.

lol agreed. That track is awful. I like Heligoland a lot overall. Martina Topley-Bird is great, hope they do more tracks with her. My least favorite album of theirs is 100th Window, never got into it much.

I thought Ritual Spirit was great, still listen to it regularly. And I'm really loving The Spoils. Come Near Me is alright but I agree the vocals are kinda off-putting. Cool video tho

New video for The Spoils starring Cate Blanchette, direct by John Hillcoat.

Their videos are turning more an more into art installations.

i like the spoils better than paradise circus, paradise circus is kind of too GRIMDARK imo, this I didn't even really think it was that dark at all until I saw the video and put it in a new context. Up there with Teardrop

that's my only gripe with massive attack, maybe it's because of CAR COMMERCIALS DR HOUSE etc. but paradise circus feels a little goofy now. this feels like it will still feel genuinely inspired years from now. it really hits me in the gut/feel a little queasy and I mean that in a good way

The Spoils video is really haunting, beautiful. I hope the full album drops soon but in the meantime if they want to keep making videos for every single track they release, that's cool too

The Spoils is nice.

IIR at the beginning of the year they said there would be an EP produced separately by each of them, and then after that there would be a proper full album.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived