IGNORED

The Psychology Thread, I Guess...

LimpyLoo

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of interest when you say study do you mean self-directed or are you enrolled in some sort of structured learning?

Be careful about not knowing everything again ;)

...and thanks for this thread, I've really found some of it stimulating and beneficial for m'own noggin.

I went to uni for 2 years studying English and psychology

Eventually dropped out though because I was suicidally depressed and my life was falling apart

But I've been studying this off and on since I was about 16

My mom always had awesome books lying around

Frankl, Laing, Jung...that's where I got interested in this stuff

But yeah, I obviously don't know everything

But I also don't *think* I know everything

I'm just not shy about sharing my ideas anymore

(i.e. I'm no longer worried about my sincerity and vulnerability because leveraged against me)

after 2 weeks of charging ki and redirecting oxygen to my toes and fingers I finally Kamehameha'd my depression to oblivion, thanks limpy

Did you read any of the last 30 pages about my thoughts on depression? Or just the last page or so? Because it doesn't sound like you know my thoughts on mental illness at all.

after 2 weeks of charging ki and redirecting oxygen to my toes and fingers I finally Kamehameha'd my depression to oblivion, thanks limpy

Look man

I'll try to be concise:

Look around your apartment

I bet it's messy

And everytime you walk by a book or a sock that should be picked up

Your hippocampus is like a driving instructor that silently marks down your mistake

Enough 'bad marks' and your amygdala will activate and flood you with negative emotion

If your amygdala is not de-activated, everything falls apart

Eventually, your hypothalamus will minimize your motivational states so as to minimize prediction errors (e.g. errant sock) basically so constant stress doesn't destroy your brain

And big surprise, you no longer *care* about the errant sock

And so welcome to the self-reinforcing loop of depression

Blank, I stabbed you in the neck with my dick *twice*

How are you still alive?

I don't even think blank is 18 yet.

btw fyi tbqh

Age of consent in UK is 16 btw fyi fmita

How are you still alive?

btw fyi tbqh

14 here, doesn't make it cool.

:mellow:

How are you still alive?

btw fyi tbqh

16 actually, since 2008.

How are you still alive?

btw fyi tbqh

16 actually, since 2008.

Oh. Well that's good. lol

Since 2008? Jesus fuck. Up until then it was 14?! Nobody talks about that little tidbit from Canoodleuhhhh

Btw limperz I had a suuuuper fucked dream that was different than my usual - I was on some school bus style bus going through some place in a tropical jungle. Everything was cool until the bus started rolling off a cliff. Tumbling the whole way - I felt like I could feel the bumps even in my dream. The bus came to a crash in the bottom of some jungle ravine. Everyone around me is dead at this point including my GF. I drift in and out of consciousness and see a person boarding the bus. I try to reach out for help but am punched in the face and probably died. I woke up after that.

I wish my dreams were a happy medium, they're either dreams where I find drugs (obvi my brain wants drugs) get seduced by a woman I've never met, or they're pretty terrifying.

Help me

Since 2008? Jesus fuck. Up until then it was 14?! Nobody talks about that little tidbit from Canoodleuhhhh

Btw limperz I had a suuuuper fucked dream that was different than my usual - I was on some school bus style bus going through some place in a tropical jungle. Everything was cool until the bus started rolling off a cliff. Tumbling the whole way - I felt like I could feel the bumps even in my dream. The bus came to a crash in the bottom of some jungle ravine. Everyone around me is dead at this point including my GF. I drift in and out of consciousness and see a person boarding the bus. I try to reach out for help but am punched in the face and probably died. I woke up after that.

I wish my dreams were a happy medium, they're either dreams where I find drugs (obvi my brain wants drugs) get seduced by a woman I've never met, or they're pretty terrifying.

Help me

Ah, drug dreams

I used to have a recurring dream about walking along a beach and finding bags of heroin in the sand

(I still can't figure out what that dream might've meant)

But listen

As usual I'll offer a fishing lesson instead of a fish:

Another useful heuristic for looking at the meaning of things is in terms of gravity: 'gravity-defying' vs 'gravity-succumbing'

It's an insanely potent metaphor

for example: depressed/neurotic people tend to exhibit 'contractive behaviors'...so it's as if their body and their words are succumbing to gravity

"Things that pull you down" is a great category

"Things that pull you up" is also a great category

And we already *know* what those metaphors mean

(Our bodies/minds are tuned to the evolutionary pressures in our environment, and gravity is the oldest evolutionary pressure there is!)

And so really you already know what that dream means

But like the voice-over at the end of the theatrical cut of Blade Runner

I'll throw down some autism:

Which things in the dream were pulling you up?

Which were pulling you down (or preventing you from climbing up)?

Okay, so then what?

Well, your hippocampus fucking *loves* abstract strategies

because they take up way less space than 1,000 concrete strategies so your hippocampus is basically asking you to radically compress this data and re-store it

So as usual, you need to 'fix' the dream

And abstract a strategy out of the particulars of the dream

i.e. "Could I have acted differently so as to produce a better outcome? What general behavioral strategy would produce those outcomes?"

While bopping around Wikipedia on the ol' Comparative Mythology tip, I ran into a rather pain-inducing example of irony...

So for anyone who knows the story of the Tower of Babel

(Or if you've read Snow Crash)

You know that it's about people's hubris causing them to not understand each other. (That's the Cliff's Notes takeaway, at least)

Here's Wikipedia:

The Tower of Babel (Syriac: ܡܓܕܠܐ ܕܒܒܠ‎, Maḡdlā d-Bāḇēl; Hebrew: מִגְדַּל בָּבֶל‎‎‎, Migdal Bāḇēl) is a Near Eastern etiological myth that is recorded in the Jewish Tanakh's first book (Genesis); it is meant to explain the origin of different languages.

That is the most autistic possible reading of the story I can imagine.

"It's a pseudo-scientific account of how different languages were formed."

I bet there's a great story out there about hubris preventing us from understanding the meaning of each others' words...

In what is set to be a stimulating conversation, Jordan Peterson (of OP's fame) will be on Sam Harris' Waking Up podcast this week.

https://www.samharris.org/podcast

Interesting...

Speaking of which: Yesterday I was tempted to make a step-by-step case that Sam Harris and Glenn Greenwald both have genuine clinical high-functioning autism, as evidenced by their mannerisms, facial features, and social attitudes.

250px-Sam_Harris_2016.jpg

Glenn-Greenwald-Original_350.jpg

And (as usual) Peter Thiel as the Vitruvian man of autism

peter_thiel.jpg

Maybe someday I'll come back to this work, but right now my heart is telling me not[\i] to try to prove that certain people have autism...

lol @ the Vitruvian man of autism

I've spent a relaxing and enlightening evening catching up on this thread and devoting proper time to it, there is some really good stuff in here. Props to everyone who posted and for keeping the tone civil and such; I've actually printed out a lot of posts so that I can properly mull over a hard copy and have a reference to hand for whenever I get time to chase up some of the theorists and people mentioned herein.

was just listening to this and thought hey I could put that in the psych thread - dunno if anyone has posted it yet, but halfway through recognised the guys voice and realised he's the guy from original vid u posted http://www.duncantrussell.com/episodes/2017/1/15/jordan-b-peterson-1

Sweet thanks

Wow, he's really getting popular since all the bill c-16 madness

(Which looks to have aged him ~10 years btw...jeez)

I just wish he'd stop flirting with all the Alt-Right shit

"The metaphysics of Pepe" and shit like that

The synchronicity of KEK?

The Harvard-wunderkind JBP was way more chill than this Tucker Carlson-meets-4Chan shit he's up to these days...

Archived