IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

I don't rule out the possibility that Trump knew about the UN vote and it's outcome before the votes had been cast. And I wouldn't be surprised Obama and Trump discussed strategies before the vote. Whether or not Trump agrees with Obama's views, he certainly likes a bit of chaos. Imo, this first non-veto in 30+ years is similar to Trump calling with the Taiwanese president. Ironically, also a case of going against 30+ years of US foreign policies and putting the relationship with, here, China under pressure.

Lets say Trump wanted to do something similar wrt Israel. Wouldn't it be safer to give Obama the honours? I'm sure Trump likes to play "good cop, bad cop" with the Israeli leadership. When Obama plays the bad cop, Trump could profit from being the good cop.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if this was actually a coordinated effort between Trump and Obama.

Tangentially, it's pretty painful to watch Israeli officials blaming the Obama administration for the UN vote. After 30+ years of the US saving their ass wrt their settlement activities, they blame the US for not vetoing. How about looking into a mirror and realising they haven't been able to convince the international community about the justification/validity of their settlement policy for the past 30 years?

You simply can not blame the US government for being unable to convince the international community about the legality of their settlements. That's their job. And they have been doing a pisspoor job at doing so. Bunch of fing idiots.

Tangentially, it's pretty painful to watch Israeli officials blaming the Obama administration for the UN vote. After 30+ years of the US saving their ass wrt their settlement activities, they blame the US for not vetoing. How about looking into a mirror and realising they haven't been able to convince the international community about the justification/validity of their settlement policy for the past 30 years?

You simply can not blame the US government for being unable to convince the international community about the legality of their settlements. That's their job. And they have been doing a pisspoor job at doing so. Bunch of fing idiots.

IIRC Obama actually oversaw the biggest defense aid to Israel in history, including funding their incredible Iron Dome system which, because they actually developed with, we don't even know the full technical details of. That's unprecedented unless I'm mistaken, funding another country's military project without actually using it ourselves or even having access to it.

The right-wing in Israel is like a spoiled child crying any time their parent actually calls them out on bad behavior. It's sad regarding their criticism of Obama - they lash out anytime the U.S. has asked for any restraint and leadership toward peace and progress with the Palestinian governments and people. I almost wonder if they were kind to Bush because he had a evangelical supporter base. Obama's relationship has not been that much different objectively.

I hope there's some actual realpolitik minded advisers behind Trump's rants and raves and his questionable appointments. Obama and him surely spoke about major classified ongoing activities and realities, it's almost though Trump is starting to flesh out his administration's tone. He's still very different (and scarier) than Nixon, Reagan, and W Bush though in the fact that Nixon had Kissinger at the helm which kept stability, Reagan had clear goals in crippling the USSR with his cold war proxy business and defense spending, and W Bush while misguided grossly still outlined a clear anti-war agenda. None of them had anything close to the dangerous and xenophobic rhetoric publicly. Right now we have no idea how he will lead but every indication so far is alarming.

it's going to be like reagan on meth

yeah, prolly close to this.

a rambling mad man on twitter. don't pay too much attention to what he says publically. or rather, better to completely ignore his remarks.

where goes this

LAME

just

L A M E

people are afraid of nuclear war but looks like we get "meme" - large air quotes - war first. I'm not able to process this tbh

Edited by Guest

where goes this

I read that Putin was urged to expel 35 US diplomats from Russia, but his response was that he didn't want to stoop down to that level. Instead he invited the kids of 35 US diplomats to a Christmas and New Year's party.

Putin seems like the most sensible person right now.

where goes this

I read that Putin was urged to expel 35 US diplomats from Russia, but his response was that he didn't want to stoop down to that level. Instead he invited the kids of 35 US diplomats to a Christmas and New Year's party.

he's at an advantage in some ways.. 

but think about it this way.. Obama is leaving office. he's trying to set things up for what comes next. he's acting on the information all the security services agree on.. he's making it an issue. he's saying "hey this is serious and we need to deal with it as a nation and this needs to be on the agenda to discuss.. debate..".. etc.. so congress now has to deal with it... and the various factions in congress are taking positions. it's going to be disruptive and it's going to place people in corners and force them to choose allies.  it's also going to reveal who is going to line up with trump. 

so, domestically it's perhaps a pretty smart thing to do. but aside from the internal politics of it.. it's a signal to the the rest of the world and a first international issue for trump.. will it stick around? who knows.. it could just get swept under the rug depending on what congress does and where the media lands with all this and how much shit posting trump does on twitter. 

putin has no opposition, there's no media there to challenge him.. he can do whatever he wants and he's savy.  i'm pretty sure this is how trump wants to operate. his administration is making lists and collecting names and preparing to oust people and also deny access. he's yet to have a press conference.. only some chit chat on new years and a bunch of twitter shit posting.

so, as always, we'll see. 

Edited by ignatius

where goes this

i hope they didn't have the soup.

Sensible because now he already has a card he can call up with trump.

"So Donnie, remember when I didn't expel those diplomats?"

In the category "give credit where due", I've got to admit I loved todays events with respect to the Ethics Committee proposal of house reps. Trump makes two tweets criticising them to put their focus on more important issues..and *poof*... their proposal is off the table. Regardless of all his tweeting-bullshit, I really like seeing developments like these. Good to see it's possible to have a president putting reps back in place when necessary.  ;-)

Well she wasn't on the best of terms with Trump either, so it kinda makes sense. Also interesting to note that former Fox News pundit Glenn Beck supposedly shifted to the political left just this past year.

And we got that news yesterday about House republicans trying to gut the Independent Office of Congressional Ethics, but then backed down after Trump himself denounced the move.

Interesting times.

Well she wasn't on the best of terms with Trump either, so it kinda makes sense. Also interesting to note that former Fox News pundit Glenn Beck supposedly shifted to the political left just this past year.

whoa really? I knew he basically got ostracized for criticizing Trump and essentially doing things like expressing basic empathy and compassion for other people but I had no idea he became left wing. browsing articles on it now, looks like he's shifting a bit in a good way. I recall actually watching his show back on CNN pre-blackboard conspiracy days when I was a pissy libertarian, he seemed more mellow and moderate back then. guess he's gone full circle.

good - I know Trump folks were probably predicting this already but it's still a big deal. we need more people to jump ship from that black hole of anti-intellectualism and dishonesty that is fox news

And we got that news yesterday about House republicans trying to gut the Independent Office of Congressional Ethics, but then backed down after Trump himself denounced the move.

Oh it was "drain the swamp and then dump toxic waste in it" I knew that promise had a catch.

Rick Perry pulled a similar stunt before he left, defunding an independent agency in Texas. Also NC effectively threw a hissy fit when a Dem won the governor's office and stripped him of his powers in a similarly anti-democratic shady session.