Jump to content
Nebraska

Now That Trump's President...

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, chronical said:

Aren't they all? Really not into politics because everyone who you can vote for is working on his weird little agenda

just find the agenda that might do the least harm. all the goons in charge currently should be fucking guillotined. and there's plenty on the left who double deal and have conflicts of interest and bow to corporations. 

i think some politicians are noble people trying to work for the common good. none of them are boy scouts.. they all make hard choices sooner or later and i'm sure have a difficult time w/some of the compromises. and some play a long game and try to balance the scales over a career in public service. 

but many of them are shills. it's basically a path to riches. a way to game the system to their advantage. there's a reason that many people in congress are lawyers of some kind.. it's so they can write the rules so that only lawyers can understand them. 

there are some people w/integrity but they're often crushed. 

america is srt of a place that is detached from itself and its history. mostly what survives is myth and dreams. we're going to be outpaced by china soon. they will be the dominant power. USA still has the biggest economy but that won't last. this country doesn't have like a 50 year plan or anything. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ what he meant is thank you professor newton for not really answering the question and providing a perfect example of the doctrine of whataboutism for my MAGA army to follow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

give no shelter to the idea that "all news is lies" etc. we need to help people navigate the modern information warfare environment. bad actors have jammed the information channels, leaving a populace confused and disaffected. this may not go away. these people need us to tell them to start watching maddow or melber or whoever you think is good.

Edited by very honest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oof. john bolton has wanted to wipe out iran for ages. he's gotta be pushing trump on all this shit w/iran. trying to goad iran into giving them some made up bullshit cause to invade or fire off some missiles or some shit. wtf. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL donnie is the king of awkward photos. Remember this?

spacer.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please add in a trigger warning before you post those kinds of pictures.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posting for the Noam clip, seeing thru the noise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Intelligence and military officials in Europe as well as in the United States said that over the past year, most aggressive moves have originated not in Tehran, but in Washington — where John R. Bolton, the national security adviser, has prodded President Trump into backing Iran into a corner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chomsky always blows my mind. the flatness of his assertions and his take on it all.. just been doing it for his whole life. telling it like he sees it and usually that's how it is. 

regarding russia though... there's something there. the social media manipulation hacking voter rolls in multiple places.. but i agree chomsky puts it into scale properly. our democracy has been manipulated for so long we take it for granted and accept the big money as part of the equation. 

i'm glad there's people who dedicate their lives to active involvement in democracy and attempting to make the playing field level.. transparency etc. but at some point it seems like tilting at windmills.  

ugh. depressing. seems smarter to not pay attention accept for voting.. and then just putting your head down and making art or whatever. i wish i could tune it out and work on music. there's bad shows about aliens on tv too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So does anyone know if anything is going to happen to Trump about ANYTHING? I never really pay attention to all these controversies on him because nothing ever happens and he keeps winning and it simply frustrates me when I think about it too long. And him losing by going to jail after his presidency is over is not a win in my book.

3 hours ago, ignatius said:

Chomsky always blows my mind. the flatness of his assertions and his take on it all.. just been doing it for his whole life. telling it like he sees it and usually that's how it is. 

regarding russia though... there's something there. the social media manipulation hacking voter rolls in multiple places.. but i agree chomsky puts it into scale properly. our democracy has been manipulated for so long we take it for granted and accept the big money as part of the equation. 

i'm glad there's people who dedicate their lives to active involvement in democracy and attempting to make the playing field level.. transparency etc. but at some point it seems like tilting at windmills.  

ugh. depressing. seems smarter to not pay attention accept for voting.. and then just putting your head down and making art or whatever. i wish i could tune it out and work on music. there's bad shows about aliens on tv too. 

 

I agree, his ability to reason and see through the noise for the essence of something is enviable. He also has the perspective of someone who's been around for 90 years and is still able to analyze what's currently going on and put it into perspective of the bigger picture.

Sometimes I feel like the US is in this huge 40 or 50 year time loop when it comes to politics. There's this almost palpable feeling like "we're getting something accomplished" but both the liberal and conservatives ideals are 90-95%% the same as they were in the 1970s, and conservatives are basically the same except somewhat crazier due to the Republican establishment feeding their minds garbage for decades, culminating in Trump. Hell, the overton window for both sides has shifted right according to lots of people who were alive in the 50s and 60s.

So that so called palpable feeling feels largely like an illusion in that context, and as you say it's depressing and makes it seem like a better idea to not pay attention to any of it until election day because you need to keep your blood pressure from getting too high.

 

Edited by Brisbot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, zero said:

LOL donnie is the king of awkward photos. Remember this?

spacer.png

 

that's Boris Johnson though...:dadjoke:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Brisbot said:

So does anyone know if anything is going to happen to Trump about ANYTHING? I never really pay attention to all these controversies on him because nothing ever happens and he keeps winning and it simply frustrates me when I think about it too long. And him losing by going to jail after his presidency is over is not a win in my book.

If you get your Trump news from this thread, he's going to get impeached ANY DAY NOW and deserves it for 10 million things. Reality is its very very unlikely he's going to jail, even if he gets 'impeached' so don't expect it to happen, even after he's out as president (remember, he'd be a martyr to ~30% of the voters even after he's out of office. also he's filthy fucking rich, in case anyone's forgotten. how often do the rich go to jail?)

4 hours ago, Brisbot said:

Sometimes I feel like the US is in this huge 40 or 50 year time loop when it comes to politics. There's this almost palpable feeling like "we're getting something accomplished" but both the liberal and conservatives ideals are 90-95%% the same as they were in the 1970s, and conservatives are basically the same except somewhat crazier due to the Republican establishment feeding their minds garbage for decades, culminating in Trump. Hell, the overton window for both sides has shifted right according to lots of people who were alive in the 50s and 60s.


So that so called palpable feeling feels largely like an illusion in that context, and as you say it's depressing and makes it seem like a better idea to not pay attention to any of it until election day because you need to keep your blood pressure from getting too high.

It's almost designed to go in cycles, but the problem is the cycles have been 99% hijacked by the Republican and Democratic parties. Their grip on EVERYTHING regarding politics in this country is disgusting and honestly probably the biggest issue right now. The dichotomy they've created is absolutely not necessary and is needs to be burned to the fucking ground. 

Edited by auxien

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

It's almost designed to go in cycles, but the problem is the cycles have been 99% hijacked by the Republican and Democratic parties. Their grip on EVERYTHING regarding politics in this country is disgusting and honestly probably the biggest issue right now. The dichotomy they've created is absolutely not necessary and is needs to be burned to the fucking ground. 

It feels like the cycles wait until memory fades well enough. It's ridiculous how many people haven't figured out that Republican and Democratic politicians, at least the ones that make it high up in the food chain, are largely the same but pretend to have different opinions on social issues.

There's this narrative I am critical of that the country is slowly becoming little more left wing over time and right wingers are old disconnected people slowly dying off , but the most left wing the country has ever been in terms of policy and not with social issues, was what... 90 years ago with the New Deal? Though the country is more left wing policy wise now in other ways that aren't as important.

These days In America I owe $6000 to the ER because I blacked out randomly one day and I had no insurance. They didn't do anything except some blood tests, gave me fluids I didn't need, did that thing where they look at your heart. I was there for an hour. They determined nothing was wrong and that I may have stood up too fast or something, and billed me for every last thing. Turns out I had mild heart arrhythmia issues but  I didn't figure that out till later with a specialist who cost an eighth of the price.

Now I'm getting letters saying they want more than my $10 a month payment and will sue me if I don't comply. What the f**k America ?

Edited by Brisbot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, very honest said:

gop house rep napalms own party over mueller report. thread

 

https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/1129831615952236546

I dunno if he completely napalm deathed them, he just dismembered their bullshit talking points in a well written, concise thread. Let’s hope the GOP cannibal corpses itself, imo

Edited by Candiru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean all he’s said is what any person thinking critically on the issue has been saying since the mueller report was made public. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

idiot man baby. what a douchenozzle. it never ends w/this guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Byaon." Whatever that means. I don't even know what the hell he's talking about half the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I bet none of those red hat wearing mofos have any clue either. They just laugh on cue when the strange city slicker makes dumb jokes and cheer when he starts hurling insults and raises his voice.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — California has sued to block the administration of President Donald Trump from cancelling nearly $1 billion for the state's high-speed rail project.

The lawsuit filed Tuesday comes after the administration revoked the funding last week.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-sues-trump-administration-over-1-billion-canceled-high-speed-n1008406

hilarious. someone needs to tell  gavin to check this out. or maybe at this point it's just a matter of formality to sue the guy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the first time I've heard Bill Nye say "fuck". Straight to the point though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...