IGNORED

VAULT7 [Wikileaks vs. CIA]

YO303

...actually, the whatsapp method mentioned isn't for defeating the encryption, they're just adding a hook in there to intercept the data before it gets encrypted, so they'd still need access to your phone first.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The interesting thing is the timing.

Trump makes unfounded accusation on having his wires tapped, and voila...wiki leaks has his back.

There's an interesting bit floating out there on the Intel backdoor. Virtually any intel chip in laptops has a backdoor for the alphabet agencies to exploit.

There's an interesting bit floating out there on the Intel backdoor. Virtually any intel chip in laptops has a backdoor for the alphabet agencies to exploit.

AFAIK IME hasn't been compromised. Also, even if it was, it wouldn't get around things like drive encryption.

Wikileaks Dump Shows CIA Could Turn Smart TVs into Listening Devices

When I worked in a museum, I remember that we had a Samsung smart TV return from a satellite gallery that was installed in an airport. When the TV was in our building the Department of Homeland Security came through and inspected it for some reason. They wouldn't tell us why. This was around the time when the Snowden NSA leaks happened. I had the suspicion that they outfitted it to listen/watch in on people. The confirmation of paranoia is kind of nice, but doesn't reduce my anxiety...

AFAIK IME hasn't been compromised. Also, even if it was, it wouldn't get around things like drive encryption.

The point is, how would you even know? That thing is a black box. We don't know for sure that it wouldn't get around drive encryption, it sits well below the OS down in a ring so protected the OS has no idea it's there.

Looks like Snowden 2.0.

I wonder how they think to protect the leaker. They docs must be traceable. Or alternatively, this might have been one hell of a hack. "Russian hackers trump CIA hackers" ;D

Why do these projects always have such psychotic names? "Weeping angel"? Jesus.

http://gizmodo.com/the-cias-leaked-hacking-code-names-are-silly-as-hell-1793044136

EggsMayhem RickyBobby Fine Dining Weeping Angel Magical Mutt MagicVikings Philosoraptor ShoulderSurfer SwampMonkey DRBOOM RoidRage Fight Club

apparently weeping angel is a doctor who reference

'The Weeping Angels were an extremely powerful species of quantum-locked humanoids (sufficient observation changes the thing being observed), so called because their unique nature necessitated that they often covered their faces with their hands to prevent trapping each other in petrified form for eternity by looking at one another. This gave the Weeping Angels their distinct "weeping" appearance. They were known for being "kind" murderous psychopaths, eradicating their victims "mercifully" by dropping them into the past and letting them live out their full lives, just in a different time period. This, in turn, allowed them to live off the remaining time energy of the victim's life. However, when this potential energy paled in comparison to an alternative power source to feed on, the Angels were known to kill by other means, such as snapping their victims' necks.'

The point is, how would you even know? That thing is a black box. We don't know for sure that it wouldn't get around drive encryption, it sits well below the OS down in a ring so protected the OS has no idea it's there.

The point is there's no evidence it has been compromised. In fact the only way it could be compromised would be if Intel was working with the CIA to allow them in, because it's probably impossible for them to crack.

...also the fact that the OS doesn't know it's there isn't relevant to getting around drive encryption, if your drive is already encrypted and someone manages to gain access to this module, they won't be able to access the decryption keys without also having your OS password. I've seen lots of claims about this thing, most of them aren't true (like that it can read info from your computer when it's not even turned on, it can't, though it can boot up your PC, but it requires a password to do that, and you disable that in the BIOS). It's actually a pretty nifty management tool, allows you to fix a lot of problems remotely that you never could have before (see: https://www.howtogeek.com/56538/how-to-remotely-control-your-pc-even-when-it-crashes/?PageSpeed=noscript), this kind of thing is vital for enterprise use and managing data centres and the likes.

so CIA has a  bunch of capabilities. woohoo. 

wikileaks is shit.  at worst they've been compromised.  Roger Stone (total asshole) already said that he has a back channel to wikileaks and had this channel during the trump campaign. 

fuck'em. 

I guess if you play patty cake with a hostile foreign dictator, the heat gets put on your ass with some state of the art, spared-no-expense spookery. No shit.

Some are concerned that since the CIA can leave the fingerprints of a Russian hacker, that they could frame them. That doesn't explain everything else away or give them a motive to wiretap Trump outside the bounds of the FISA warrant, let him get elected, and then frame him. He's dirty without anyone's help.

...also the fact that the OS doesn't know it's there isn't relevant to getting around drive encryption, if your drive is already encrypted and someone manages to gain access to this module, they won't be able to access the decryption keys without also having your OS password. I've seen lots of claims about this thing, most of them aren't true (like that it can read info from your computer when it's not even turned on, it can't, though it can boot up your PC, but it requires a password to do that, and you disable that in the BIOS). It's actually a pretty nifty management tool, allows you to fix a lot of problems remotely that you never could have before (see: https://www.howtogeek.com/56538/how-to-remotely-control-your-pc-even-when-it-crashes/?PageSpeed=noscript), this kind of thing is vital for enterprise use and managing data centres and the likes.

But since it can record keystrokes, it would be trivial to get around encryption if it had been compromised, and since we don't know if it has been compromised...

I'm aware of the benefits of it, but the premise of Intel's security in it is security through obscurity. Which is not really security at all.

yawn

Correct

when i first made this thread i honestly thought it was going to be aliens or underground bunkers for rich people to protect themselves for when "they" decide to thin out the herd if you know what i mean

this stuff is interesting but very far from a scandal, every country must have tools like these, its probably essential to the safety of the nation

yeah its fucking creepy that the government can spy on you but what are you gonna do, as long as you use the internet you are vulnerable to this kind of shit, not only from government but from random eastern european teens 

the days of total freedom are over, the only truly free humans are living on sentinel island and they are probably the smartest people on the planet cause every time they see technology they shoot arrows at it

baboons with technology, thats how we are behaving, its a shame because technology and science are the only way out of the cruel world of nature and into peak levels of experience 

Archived