IGNORED

Blerp - Albrum of the year Selek kek...

Psychotronic

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember kids: "not only one of 2017's greatest albums, but surely one of the most important within electronic music this year as a whole."

lol

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

Like Auxien said, it's a perfectly decent album and solid. Still, it's a decent vocalist coupled with Jam City and Arca tracks. That's it. It could been a Night Slugs LP release in 2010. It's one of those albums (along with Mount Kimbie or Four Tet) that indie music fans are gushing over but when asked about it I have to hold back from explaining how fucking unimportant these albums are in every regard. Instead I'm just like "yeah, it's aight." 

Pretty much this, yeah. Just the marketing and hyperbole around releases these days makes me cringe. Everything is a "game changer", "most important release of the year", "deep and brooding", blah blah blah.

Uber pretentious. 

Then again, not sure the PR teams at these labels would have much of a job if they just typed up "yeh bois grab this album it's full of aight tunes" as the description lol, even if that's the most accurate way to describe them.

wel of course they have to make publicity, you don't want our favorite artist to go work in a filthy factory instead of making tunes do you?

i hate posts like this. yeah just list everything you found on mainstream music websites and call it "deeply affecting" 

fuck off

https://twitter.com/ambient_cowboy/status/938048928234262529

hats off to the kid for being d e e p l y  a f f e c t e d by 72 new albums in 11 months. did he recently grow ears for the first time or sumthin?

it doesn't matter if waltz sounds like AFX, as long as it's good, who cares

It doesn't sound anything like afx though. This is what i never understood. Feel like loads of sites were bigging it up on the offchance that it was afx (which it isnt)

it doesn't matter if waltz sounds like AFX, as long as it's good, who cares

It doesn't sound anything like afx though. This is what i never understood. Feel like loads of sites were bigging it up on the offchance that it was afx (which it isnt)

Yeah I never heard the afx comparisons I don’t fuggin get it, ya’ll are animals

hats off to the kid for being d e e p l y  a f f e c t e d by 72 new albums in 11 months. did he recently grow ears for the first time or sumthin?

I could list off 73 things that really struck me, I don't know about "deeply affected" or anything like that but I could argue for the merit of any of these

Laurel Halo - Dust

Jürg Frey - L'ame est sans retenue I
Jaap Vink - Jaap Vink
Sote - Sacred Horror In Design
Felicia Atkinson - Hand In Hand
Brother Ah - Searching
Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - The Kid
Bhob Rainey - From Null Lands Led, Starrily
Visible Cloaks - Reassemblage
Taiwan Housing Project - Veblen Death Mask

M.E.S.H. - Hesaitix
Kassel Jaeger - Aster
Keith Rowe/Michael Pisaro - 13 Thirteen
Kara-Lis Coverdale - Grafts
Hecker - A Script For Machine Synthesis
Guerilla Toss - GT Ultra
Keith Fullerton Whitman - Late Monoliths, 2011-2013
Bordreuil / Rowden - Hollow
Jürg Frey - Collection Gustave Roud
Galcher Lustwerk - Dark Bliss

Konrad Sprenger - Stack Music
Nyz - FLD RCDR
Æther Jag - Amaranthine Stretch
Toshimaru Nakamura & Martin Taxt - Listening to the Footsteps of Living Ones Who Are Still on the Ground
Graham Lambkin/Taku Unami - The Whistler
Nicole Mitchell - Mandorla Awakening II: Emerging Worlds
Ahnnu - Battered Sphinx
Aaron Dilloway - The Gag File
Berangere Maximin - Frozen Refrains
Oto Hiax - Oto Hiax

Olivia Block - Olivia Block
Machine Girl - ...BECAUSE IM YOUNG ARROGANT AND HATE EVERYTHING YOU STAND FOR
Nadah El Shazly - Ahwar
Joe McPhee and Bryan Eubanks - My Undocumented Alien Clarinet
Will Guthrie - People Pleaser
Irreversible Entanglements - Irreversible Entanglements
Moth Cock - 0-100 at the Speed of the Present
Remote Choir - Behemoth Conundrum
SDEM - MIXEDSIGNALGENERATORS
Carmina Escobar - T Z A T Z I

Gabi Losoncy - Security Besides Love
Matthew Lux's Communication Arts Quartet - Contra/Fact
Byron Westbrook - Body Consonance
Lee Gamble - Mnestic Pressure
Ariel Pink - Dedicated To Bobby Jameson
Avey Tare - Eucalyptus
Mike Majkowski - Days and Other Days
Linda Catlin Smith - Drifter
Matthias Müller - solo trombone
Joshua Abrams & Natural Information Society - Simultonality

Nyz - MCRTNL
USA/Mexico - Laredo
Bulbs - Anomalons
The Hydra - Studio Time
JC - HEAVY_LAYERS_0​.​5​.​wav
Rashad Becker - Based On A True Story, Chapter IX
Cabo Boing - Blob On A Grid
Dogo Niga - Sounds Of Sisso
Jib Kidder - Pay 2 Play
Errorsmith - Superlative Fatigue

Bernard Parmegiani - Rock
Bellows - Strand
Sophie Cooper - The Curfew Tower Recordings

seriously though if you haven't heard that Parmegiani I'd recommend it, it's all these miniatures from an old soundtrack, and so it moves quick and since all the pieces are bite sized they're more immediate than you may expect from him

seriously though if you haven't heard that Parmegiani I'd recommend it, it's all these miniatures from an old soundtrack, and so it moves quick and since all the pieces are bite sized they're more immediate than you may expect from him

I don't often go for that sort of stuff, but this is actually pretty interesting. Only listened to Side A so far, but it's unique, and weird, but not grating or ridiculous or overly pretentious. Not sure how often I'd listen to it, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I missed out altogether on this album called "Onism" by Photay. WATMM search turned up nothing. It's my favorite out of the picks but I live in the disco/house/Floating Points/Todd Terje camp anyway so it wasn't a hard sell. The problem is....this fucking cover

onism_photay.jpg

It's like...I dunno: how can I be sure that I really like it or am I just voting party lines due to the overtly Aryan nature of the cover? This year-end is a social justice minefield and I think I blew my left leg off by buying this one. Jokes aside, it's a lush record and full of soul. 

just listening to this album now, it's really good. full of soul like you say, but also lots of lush synth design, especially on the low end.

Archived