IGNORED

Travelling on business

BCM

How many of you lot travel on business? My boss would probably argue I don't do enough of it and should get out to see customers more often, but as I work from home and have video conference and WebEx facilities etc, then I tend to use that wherever possible. I hate leaving the house really. Anyway sometimes it can't be avoided and I have to drag myself somewhere and stay in a hotel. To that end, I have to attend a Sales Conference tomorrow at Cisco and am currently residing in the Holiday Inn, Reading South. I'm writing this in the restaurant surrounded by other men at tables for one with their laptops out trying to look important and pretending to work on an Excel spreadsheet. Why would you bring your laptop to dinner at 8pm and fire up Excel? Nothing is that important surely. I don't go in for such shenanigans. Without fail every time I end up at a hotel on business, I get totally streaming at the bar, hang around in the car park smoking biftas and looking dodgy, and turn up at whatever function the next day with a terrible hangover and complete lack of conviction. I'm on my 3rd Stella already. Gonna go roll a sneaky spliff in a sec and slip out the back to smoke it. Good times.

Share your work related travel experiences here.

It's 99% businessmen in here but I have spotted a lone businesswoman with a couple of male colleagues. She looks bored. Keeps glancing over.

She isn't really.

Or IS she?

she is. bag it and tag it. then dap knuckles with the other suits tomorrow after you finish bragging about your exploits

Walk up to her & ask "What do you think of synth patches".

No matter how she responds, she's yours.

she is. bag it and tag it. then dap knuckles with the other suits tomorrow after you finish bragging about your exploits

Walk up to her & ask "What do you think of synth patches".

No matter how she responds, she's yours.

But only after you take out your newly ivory embossed business card.

If that was a subtle American Psycho reference, otherwise I'll see myself out.

Working mostly with Finnish engineers there's shit ton of drinking involved on any business trip. My previous team leader used to have several bottles of liquor in his luggage so that once the hotel bar would close the after party was in his room.. Once ended up skinny dipping in the Baltic sea with the rest of the team. I feel I've spent most of my business trips in hangovers.  

But anyway, I actually haven't traveled for work that much.

How many of you lot travel on business? My boss would probably argue I don't do enough of it and should get out to see customers more often, but as I work from home and have video conference and WebEx facilities etc, then I tend to use that wherever possible. I hate leaving the house really. Anyway sometimes it can't be avoided and I have to drag myself somewhere and stay in a hotel. To that end, I have to attend a Sales Conference tomorrow at Cisco and am currently residing in the Holiday Inn, Reading South. I'm writing this in the restaurant surrounded by other men at tables for one with their laptops out trying to look important and pretending to work on an Excel spreadsheet. Why would you bring your laptop to dinner at 8pm and fire up Excel? Nothing is that important surely. I don't go in for such shenanigans. Without fail every time I end up at a hotel on business, I get totally streaming at the bar, hang around in the car park smoking biftas and looking dodgy, and turn up at whatever function the next day with a terrible hangover and complete lack of conviction. I'm on my 3rd Stella already. Gonna go roll a sneaky spliff in a sec and slip out the back to smoke it. Good times.

Share your work related travel experiences here.

I've stayed in the other Premier Inn in Reading a few times, funnily enough; they did a wicked steak. Lol @ the pints and biffs, better that that being an utterly dull LinkedIn business wanker, IMO.

I travel very occasionally for academic conferences, usually fairly low-key stuff. Heading to Santiago de Compostela in Autumn for a ting, looking forward to doing my bit and then getting out of the venue to wander about and soak up the vibes

Working mostly with Finnish engineers there's shit ton of drinking involved on any business trip. My previous team leader used to have several bottles of liquor in his luggage so that once the hotel bar would close the after party was in his room.. Once ended up skinny dipping in the Baltic sea with the rest of the team. I feel I've spent most of my business trips in hangovers.  

But anyway, I actually haven't traveled for work that much.

woohoo finland

isnt Ricky Gervais from Reading?

pls firebomb his family's manor asap, it'd be much more fun than regaling you with tales from various excavation trenches across the continent

besides, its nearly 10pm, anything less than 40%booze is a waste at this moment in time

I spend about a third of the year travelling for work, most of that to dumb out-of-the-way bush towns or camps. It has its highlights e.g. I've had a close encounter with pretty much every animal that lives in Canada, got to fly low over a herd of thousands of caribou David Attenborough stylee while listening to the Humpty Dance, had a few lols watching stoned guys sink bulldozers into swamps and seeing cocky helicopter pilots nearly kill themselves doing dumb stunts to impress girls. But mostly it consists of staring at rocks in the bush while being eaten alive by bugs, or screaming bloody murder to the heavens while you try to dig out a stuck ATV by hand for the 18th time that day, or sitting in an idling truck at 3am putting up with endless shit pop-country music on the radio while gradually working up the courage to hop out for a piss when it's -45 outside

Copenhagen's meant to be alright innit.

I went back again last year. It’s a magical place. Christiania is well worth going to like 1000 times and the surprise festivities and Tivoli and oh the joy

Archived