Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

* * * * * 1 votes

Tim Hecker - Konoyo
Out 28/09

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#76 joshuatx

joshuatx

syrote

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,690 posts
  • 120 topics
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 28 September 2018 - 06:46 AM

Just heard "In Death Valley" - was interesting enough for me to give this a go and listen to the rest of the album.

#77 dr lopez

dr lopez

i did it for the general banterness of the act

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,121 posts
  • 125 topics
  • Joined 06-April 08
  • Interests:Riven
  • PSN:conlon_nancarrow

Posted 28 September 2018 - 08:15 AM

"This self-awareness is timely, of a piece with the social tides that rightfully demand the voices of white men need not be the only or loudest ones in the room. Konoyo’s other musicians are either Japanese gagaku experts or classically trained women with their own compelling experimental visions, Kara-Lis Coverdale and Mariel Roberts. For this Konoyo receives additional 0.6 points in the final score."

-bnm.com

holy shit lmao. apparently all music was made by white men before 2017

#78 darreichungsform

darreichungsform

hav pensi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • 72 topics
  • Joined 31-July 16
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/darreichungsform
  • Interests:good things

Posted 28 September 2018 - 09:00 AM

"This self-awareness is timely, of a piece with the social tides that rightfully demand the voices of white men need not be the only or loudest ones in the room. Konoyo’s other musicians are either Japanese gagaku experts or classically trained women with their own compelling experimental visions, Kara-Lis Coverdale and Mariel Roberts. For this Konoyo receives additional 0.6 points in the final score."

-bnm.com

This is the most embarrassing thing I've ever read

#79 dr lopez

dr lopez

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,121 posts
  • 125 topics
  • Joined 06-April 08

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:29 AM

-bnm.com

ok but either you added that last line or they edited it because i can't find it in the pfork review

Edited by dr lopez, 28 September 2018 - 10:31 AM.

#80 seaburn

seaburn

◣◂◁▸►◥◤▵⊿▲◥◣

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • 1 topics
  • Joined 30-October 17
  • SoundCloud URL:soundcloud.com/seaburn-1
  • Interests:late night audio transmissions

Posted 28 September 2018 - 07:07 PM

This life is one of my favorite things Tim Hecker has released in a while. The album gets looser and looser as it goes on, I thought. Did enjoy my first listen a lot though. Will have to give it a few more listens before I can compare it to the rest of his stuff.

#81 auxien

auxien

John Fucking Lennon

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,359 posts
  • 76 topics
  • Joined 09-April 08

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:18 PM

Sounds like he took the worst track on Virgins (Incense at Abu Ghraib) and extended it. It was somewhat okay though... Not too hopeful, but not going to pass judgment based on one track.

This is better upon multiple listens. Whole album is pretty good. That last track has a weird section I'm not getting yet but the rest of the album is better each time I listen to it.

#82 scumtron

scumtron

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • 17 topics
  • Joined 29-May 13

Posted 15 October 2018 - 05:54 AM

AOTY potential.

#83 barbara planar

barbara planar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • 19 topics
  • Joined 13-February 06

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:07 PM

Tim Hecker is the worst part of this. There are some fantastic, fresh-sounding percussive sounds and brilliant timbres... but there's Tim, again, with the same old grainy washes of sound... 'emergency' / 'this is serious' tonality. It's still a nutra-sweet Tim Hecker washout, just like Ravedeath, with those constant blankets of sound wash. Keyed Out is fantastic. I wish he'd work with more acoustic sounds, less 'ambient' sound washes / tonal noise.

#84 barbara planar

barbara planar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • 19 topics
  • Joined 13-February 06

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:10 PM

Those forlorn, wailing WASHES of sound, off in the distance. It sort of sounds like the same tonal center (emergency/immediacy) as Ravedeath... just, different arrangements. The acoustic stuff is fantastic.

#85 dr lopez

dr lopez

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,121 posts
  • 125 topics
  • Joined 06-April 08

Posted 11 November 2018 - 12:17 AM

lol