IGNORED

Forum Discussion/Issues

Joyrex

11 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

new background is fugly, looks like an underwear pattern or something...

Your opinion is noted (I was just playing around with some SVG patterns). Would WATMM logos be more appropriate?

On 7/31/2019 at 1:55 PM, Tim_J said:

honestly i think simplicity is the best

This. For example, I’d love to be able to hide user info. I don’t feel the need to see every post on desktop — post count, gender, discogs link, internet magic points and such : if I’m feeling curious/stalkerish, I’d just hop to that user’s page. We can (thankfully) toggle signatures visibility, I’m curious about the reasoning for not allowing that too.

Of course, if those were properly tagged in a properly classed divider, I’d be able to uBlock them out myself.

14 hours ago, aencre said:

This. For example, I’d love to be able to hide user info. I don’t feel the need to see every post on desktop — post count, gender, discogs link, internet magic points and such : if I’m feeling curious/stalkerish, I’d just hop to that user’s page. We can (thankfully) toggle signatures visibility, I’m curious about the reasoning for not allowing that too.

Of course, if those were properly tagged in a properly classed divider, I’d be able to uBlock them out myself.

I agree - maybe what I do is remove the user info altogether (beyond user group and posts) and have the rest appear in the hovercard. Those pips are fairly pointless too (the dots that indicate your overall post count). Good suggestions!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, manmower said:

Forum loads slow as molasses again tonight. Something being tweaked behind the scenes, or is it going to keep doing this intermittently?

Not seeing it on my end... haven't made any changes to the forum itself other than turning on the member-to-member chat feature in CHATMM, but that shouldn't impact loading performance.

18 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Not seeing it on my end... haven't made any changes to the forum itself other than turning on the member-to-member chat feature in CHATMM, but that shouldn't impact loading performance.

Today everything's back to normal speed again. I wonder if it's just server load, as I get this intermittently on both mobile and home connections and with different browsers, and WATMM is the only affected site. Seems weird that no-one else would notice or mention this though.

i've been regularly having issues with text entry in the reply box acting weird... i'll not be able to advance or go back via arrow keys on text i've written, and not being able to press enter to break to a new line. seems to happen most when i've got a couple of paragraphs or so....but not sure what's triggering it to happen. i'm using Opera on desktop, on Windows, can't remember if it's been happening on mobile or not, i don't do much typing on mobile. pretty sure it's been happening for a while, at least a couple weeks or more, if not since the initial forum change? happens about 10-20% of the time, i'd guess. 

also when i'm reading others' posts on desktop i have a bad habit of absent-mindedly highlighting text blocks, and sometimes doing so re-jiggers the text on screen, usually adding a space or two at the beginning of a paragraph (delet.. style). not an issue as i've never seen it mess up anything, but thought i'd mention it.

15 minutes ago, auxien said:

also when i'm reading others' posts on desktop i have a bad habit of absent-mindedly highlighting text blocks, and sometimes doing so re-jiggers the text on screen, usually adding a space or two at the beginning of a paragraph (delet.. style). not an issue as i've never seen it mess up anything, but thought i'd mention it.

I do this as well, the only issue I've had with it so far is clicking the quote selection button that pops up when you select text, so I end up with a bunch of weird text snippets as quotes in the compose window.  Haven't had an issue with it adding spaces though (I'm using the tomorrow's harvest theme, the other dark theme is ?)

1 minute ago, darreichungsform said:

Probably Squee

I wonder why. I didn't do anything that is against the rules. It was a nice thread, ffs. I encouraged everyone to be nice and engage in a civil conversation. What the hell was wrong with it? Is this North Korea?

This forum thrives on user-generated content, and my thread was "Hot!" straight away, and deleting it was an act of discrimination. No wonder WATMM is dying... This is sad. 

He's called my actions "spamming?" This is outrageous. It was a nice thread where people were being nice to each other, it had some great discussion going. Seriously don't get why it was deleted and I got a warning. This is stupid. After that I created an angry thread, and that got deleted too. Do we have freedom of speech or not? What was wrong with the first thread I wonder?

Снимок экрана 2019-08-05 в 1.03.16.png

I usually like Squee but his deleting behavior is a bit weird. One time he just deleted The Bro's track on My Latest Creation and when someone called him out on it he deleted this post too and the posts that followed it

Not everything that looks like spam is spam. WATMM is an ecosystem just like the fungus-colony on Steve Stapleton's armpit, let it proliferate

It really hurt. It was a good, nice thread with a nice discussion. Why in the right mind would you delete that? People shared what they were doing, how their day went, what games they were about to play. This is ridiculous. No one was spamming.

On 8/3/2019 at 10:07 AM, auxien said:

i've been regularly having issues with text entry in the reply box acting weird... i'll not be able to advance or go back via arrow keys on text i've written, and not being able to press enter to break to a new line. seems to happen most when i've got a couple of paragraphs or so....but not sure what's triggering it to happen. i'm using Opera on desktop, on Windows, can't remember if it's been happening on mobile or not, i don't do much typing on mobile. pretty sure it's been happening for a while, at least a couple weeks or more, if not since the initial forum change? happens about 10-20% of the time, i'd guess. 

Opera (as far as I can recall) switched rendering engines to the same one Chrome uses, so there shouldn't be any major differences in terms of how the site/editor behaves.

When the forum software was upgraded so was the editor, so that likely coincided with you seeing the issue.

RE: Highlighting text blocks - you can actually quote portions of a post by highlighting the text you want and then a small balloon will appear which gives you the ability to quote the highlighted text (like a shortcut).

On 8/3/2019 at 9:59 AM, manmower said:

Today everything's back to normal speed again. I wonder if it's just server load, as I get this intermittently on both mobile and home connections and with different browsers, and WATMM is the only affected site. Seems weird that no-one else would notice or mention this though.

I recently switch our DNS/CDN to CloudFlare - if anything, I've gotten reports that the site has gotten faster...

If i search for something on the forums and it gives me more than one page of results, going to the second page counts as a new search? and gives me an error that I have to wait before searching again.  Is that supposed to happen?

41 minutes ago, andrd said:

If i search for something on the forums and it gives me more than one page of results, going to the second page counts as a new search? and gives me an error that I have to wait before searching again.  Is that supposed to happen?

No; I just tried it myself, and was able to paginate through several pages with no issues - you're getting a message talking about having to wait x minutes before searching again?

Yes. It probably doesn't affect you since I doubt you have any restrictions on your account.  If I search for a term that gives me more than one page of results, clicking 'next' or 'page 2' will give me an error telling me to wait before searching.  It's done this since the forum upgrade.

3 hours ago, Joyrex said:

No; I just tried it myself, and was able to paginate through several pages with no issues - you're getting a message talking about having to wait x minutes before searching again?