IGNORED

IDM is a meme

zlemflolia

A meme (/mm/ MEEM[1][2][3]) is an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture—often with the aim of conveying a particular phenomenon, theme, or meaning represented by the meme.[4] A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols, or practices, that can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals, or other imitable phenomena with a mimicked theme. Supporters of the concept regard memes as cultural analogues to genes in that they self-replicate, mutate, and respond to selective pressures.[5]

What is the nature of IDM as a meme?  What ratio of people start loving IDM then get bored of it?  Is it the same as any other genre in terms of that?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

IDM is a culture (or more specifically, a subculture within dance music). 

Pls tell more. What do IDMsters wear? Are tucked-in monochrome polos with grey trousers and white sneakers OK? Are there any daily rituals or traits I should consider? Besides being an insufferable elitist snob, of course.

IDM as a music sub-genre been a thing since the late '90s and I still don't understand what exactly it's supposed to be. And I don't understand how it's "dance" music, like house or whatever. Because most of it doesn't follow the 4-step kick drum standard.

As a culture? Was there ever really one? Sure, being a 30-something or 40-something male with pronounced facial hair, thick-framed glasses, and North Face apparel might be an indicator of gravitating towards more obscure electronic music. But TBH it's never truly been clearly defined as a culture, at least as far as I know.

28 minutes ago, lickneonlights said:

Pls tell more. What do IDMsters wear? Are tucked-in monochrome polos with grey trousers and white sneakers OK? Are there any daily rituals or traits I should consider? Besides being an insufferable elitist snob, of course.

beards!

with some left over stella.

IDM is a meme in a sense that people who use that term have the need to distinguish their favourite music from the other, "less intelligent/experimental" dance music. In reality IDM is just a pretentious term for ambient techno/hip hop (or jungle, dnb, electro etc.), including the mixtures of those styles.

14 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

And I don't understand how it's "dance" music, like house or whatever. Because most of it doesn't follow the 4-step kick drum standard.

And yet the majority of AFX and AE discography is in 4/4?

I'm not sure if IDM, at this point, is more refined or even more blurred in its definition. It seems like some more commonplace dance music is starting to incorporate some IDM tropes and vice versa.

It's mostly been a blanket term for lots of varying styles/experiments so it's apt to continue being just that.

1 hour ago, chenGOD said:

IDM is a culture (or more specifically, a subculture within dance music). 

Not a meme. 

yeah, so delete this waste of a thread

5 hours ago, lickneonlights said:

I meant like a yogurt culture. 

But if you want to continue being an insufferable elitist snob, I guess that works for you. 

Literally anything is a meme

What is the nature of literally everything as a meme?  What ratio of people start loving literally everything then get bored of it?  Is it the same as literally anything else in terms of that?

"Literally" in millennial white girl vernacular is basically the modern equivalent of the valley girl "totally" of the late 80s and early 90s.

20 hours ago, Braintree said:

I'm not sure if IDM, at this point, is more refined or even more blurred in its definition. It seems like some more commonplace dance music is starting to incorporate some IDM tropes and vice versa.

It's mostly been a blanket term for lots of varying styles/experiments so it's apt to continue being just that.

This. You know it when you hear it but it's hard to articulate what "it" is. Around the late 00s / early 10s it became fairly common to see reviews describe certain electronic releases - whether they be house, dubstep, techno, even poppier stuff, as having an "IDM influence" or a "nod to IDM." The thing was it was often on the nose and accurate - it's been around long enough to describe a zeitgeist of specific electronic music.

It's such a varied definition and lacked a formal "scene" because it didn't really have a live setting and it was pretty much defined, listened to, and distributed online. Kind of predicted similar phenomenon  like vaporwave. It's also tied to certain labels which is why BoC is often lumped in despite in retrospect being quite a different strand of electronic music.

29 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

"Literally" in millennial white girl vernacular is basically the modern equivalent of the valley girl "totally" of the late 80s and early 90s.

that's part of my exquisite, intricate parody. you could probably find something similar to say of "meme" in millennial white male vernacular

IDM is a brutalist architecture dank meme with ancient Mesopotamian dub metal core influences. In other words, it make The Beatles sound like a late career Korn album. Which is to say, AMAZING 

2 hours ago, Candiru said:

IDM is a brutalist architecture dank meme with ancient Mesopotamian dub metal core influences. In other words, it make The Beatles sound like a late career Korn album. Which is to say, AMAZING 

most idm post 2019.

gonna be a great compilation! ?

They're about guns, lasers, robots with laser guns in space. Monsters from the future. Explosions. Sylvester Stallone doing a backflip on top of a spike while Robocop carries a ghost up a mountain. Bombs and swords and that... IDM is awesome.

Archived