IGNORED

Societas x Tape

manmower

Well, I hate to admit it, but it's looking more and more like there is no unreleased BOC in the mix:

Here's that godlike drone at 57:03 - apparently from a 2008 song release called "The Coconut Pearl" by The Dreamer's Cloth aka Jonas Fredriksen:

The part song (untitled) BOC used in the mix starts at 10:56 and is track B3 on the cassette...

Edited by Joyrex
Updated info

1 minute ago, Joyrex said:

Well, I hate to admit it, but it's looking more and more like there is no unreleased BOC in the mix:

Here's that godlike drone at 57:03 - apparently from a 2008 song called "The Coconut Pearl" by The Dreamer's Cloth aka Jonas Fredriksen:

The part BOC used in the mix starts at 10:56...

Honestly don't care. Finding new music is a hobby to a lot of us, and while we'd all love new BOC material this opens up so many more pandora's boxes. All of these songs color me excited for a summer where I move into a new house full with a bunch of hippie friends that like to listen to LPs that aren't too strange on the psychedelic electronica front. Thanks for this Joyrex!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chronical said:

Honestly don't care. Finding new music is a hobby to a lot of us, and while we'd all love new BOC material this opens up so many more pandora's boxes. All of these songs color me excited for a summer where I move into a new house full with a bunch of hippie friends that like to listen to LPs that aren't too strange on the psychedelic electronica front. Thanks for this Joyrex!

I can only take credit for bringing it to WATMM's attention - the sleuths over at BOCPages were the ones who found it.

Weirdly though the YouTube video I linked to was just published today...

6 hours ago, chronical said:

man, this is a perfect example of how wonderful this mix is - I'm poking around this artists discogs page and he's pretty much a self-releasing "new age" style cassette / CD-R artist who was playing around with vaporwave imagery before it was a thing. it's an amazing obscure find that I would have most likely never have found on my own. 

6 hours ago, Joyrex said:

I can only take credit for bringing it to WATMM's attention - the sleuths over at BOCPages were the ones who found it.

Weirdly though the YouTube video I linked to was just published today...

looks like a fan of Dreamers Cloth ripped and uploaded the artists discography in one go - kudos to them

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Here's that godlike drone at 57:03 - apparently from a 2008 song release called "The Coconut Pearl" by The Dreamer's Cloth aka Jonas Fredriksen:

The part song (untitled) BOC used in the mix starts at 10:56 and is track B3 on the cassette...

First of all - dammit! Earlier in the thread I said I’d launch myself into the sun if this wasn’t BoC, so here we are I guess.

Second - this is a legendary find by the brothers in my book, I mean who finds this stuff? My admiration for this entire mix well overshadows any feelings of disappointment that would even exist over lack of unheard BoC tunes.

This mix is so bonkers good and so totally mesmerizing to me. For sure I badly want them to provide new/unreleased material in the near future, but this tape is just nuts it’s hard to keep trying to find ways to describe it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joyrex said:

...when ALL the tracks are sourced or proven not to be BOC :dadjoke:

:boc:

On 6/24/2019 at 6:04 PM, Joyrex said:

57:05? Really? I'll get a turquoise hexagon tattoo if it's not BOC

7 hours ago, Friendly Stranger said:

Second - this is a legendary find by the brothers in my book, I mean who finds this stuff? My admiration for this entire mix well overshadows any feelings of disappointment that would even exist over lack of unheard BoC tunes.

There are pretty dedicated and niche fans of really obscure and DIY artists and labels - cassette and CD-R and now bandcamp. Private press in the 60s and 70s, tape-traders in the 80s through 90s, then netlabels and p2p stuff in the 00s. I dabble off and on and recognized Dolphins Into The Future, but that was about it.

What I find so lovely is the realization that the brothers not only have indicated they have a very likely massive collection of music likely stretching back to their own days of trading and sharing tapes in the late 80s and early 90s but they are still hunting down new obscure music! RDJ has been doing this as well, he's played out, often multiple times, really new jungle, footwork, and leftfield techno, house, etc. Our IDM idols might work in their own bubbles to some degree but they aren't pretentious and they clearly appreciate overlooked music. It's wonderful.

• Like 3

On 7/10/2019 at 9:31 AM, MIXL2 said:

its still kinda unclear what their reasoning was behind releasing this mix, time will tell i guess :boc:

That's what artists do lol they make and share things. I just see it as a dj set in the most abstract sense, kinda like what Richard does

On 7/10/2019 at 7:24 AM, chronical said:

Them finding obscure demo tape versions of Killing Joke is like us trying to find things like Acid Memories innit? :happy:

Acid Memories is much, much, harder to find I would reckon...

• 4 weeks later...

Strange coincidence I bumped into the other day: that "Leo the Lizard" thing was rolling around in my head, and I realized that "Leo Lizard" is an anagram for "Leo Szilard", one of the theoretical physicists who realized the importance of the role of neutrons in nuclear fission. 

I know it's not intentional, but I have very few people to share this silliness with, so I subject you, dear reader, to that. Sorry. 

Yeah, saw that. Sinking Ships. 

Didn't realize that discussion threads had to be kept to "actual news" only. I'll not bother you people again. 

• Like 1