IGNORED

What's so great about Seinfeld?

MadameChaos

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michael Richards' rant has no effect on me watching Kramer and laughing my ass off. I was like, "no wonder he lost his shit, he can't play Kramer anymore." It's like a monkey that isn't allowed to climb trees.

I need to learn this skill

ZP9JY.gif

Kramer's physical comedy is absolutely brilliant at times.

You just illustrated my point. This guy is hilarious, the rest of the show is pure dullness.

l_d3d38e29d141b562077a06cb053ecca2.gif

img7244.gif?29a00a

Guest Iain C

its easy to take for granted just how many conventions of mainstream TV seinfeld broke at the tim. I was still young enough while it aired to find certain episodes very risque. In a lot of ways they got away with subjects even R rated comedies couldn't figure out a way to get away with. I sort of see X-files/Married With Children/Seinfeld as 3 shows that pretty much obliterated the mostly puritanical standards that network TV had up until that point.

Don't forget The Simpsons

Guest Frankie5fingers

granted, Larry David cant always make gold. but what do you want? the dude is only human. Seinfeld though, was a stroke of genius. not just by him but by everyone, even Jerry. but that still doesn't make Jerry, Julia, Jason, and Micheal great comedic actors. undoubtedly everyone here knows about the Seinfeld curse. that was my point. none of them were funny by themselves and i might add, still aren't. if the writers didn't give these people the lines that they delivered then the show never would have gotten off the ground. maybe saying that the actors didn't have a hand in its success is little foolish, yeah, but still. We wouldn't be sitting here debating what "made" Seinfeld if it weren't for Seinfeld, David and the writers.

lumping jerry in with "the writers" does him a disservice, so i fixed that for you. don't forget, larry left before season 8, so jerry was the guiding hand behind the last 2 seasons (except the series finale), which were still wonderful.

yeah, he did do a bit more than the others. and as a comedian he had a couple good jokes. but the show wouldnt have lasted 9 seasons if it was him writing the majority of the material. i mean, those two season are pretty wacky compared to the others (which is really saying something. lol) but i agree, he stepped up when Larry left. those seasons are pretty good.

michael-richards.jpg

i do understand what you're saying about the seinfeld curse but i don't think the show would have worked as well without the cast it had obviously. The only person from Seinfeld that i think is genuinely still funny now is Julia Louise Dreyfuss. I would argue she's just as funny on Veep as she was on Seinfeld. In retrospect I think her acting is probably the best out of all the cast on the series.

Larry David is clearly a comedic genius but I think he's been riding his seinfeld success for far too long. Although I love curb your enthusiasm I think it's already sort of over played. I'm looking forward to his new TV movie, but I hope it's not just following the same template as Sour Grapes/Seinfeld/Curb. I'd like to see him evolve to something else eventually. Some really good comedians only have a handful of good ideas in them though, Christopher Guest & Ricky Gervais being good examples. The last few things they've created have been total rehashes (and inferior ones) with not much new happening.

Julia has shown that she can sometimes be funny. Her show The New Adventures of Old Christine was kinda funny. but it got old, fast. now i havent seen a full episode of Veep but from what ive seen, i didnt like. but thats me. though i will say this, HBO has proven time and again that they have some of the best writers in television right now. which is undoubtedly a factor to the shows success. but anyways, out of all of them shes the only one that has had somewhat successful shows. i still wouldnt say she is a great comedic actor but she has shown that she might be able to be one.

also, i agree that if it were anyone else on the Seinfeld cast then the show wouldnt be what it is. the cast worked great with each other, which can be an element that is strong enough to make or break a show. but it still doesnt make them great comedic actors.

as for new Larry David stuff, he seems to have hit a rut. it seems like he wants to recreate Seinfeld. a new "show about nothing". ive always felt that his works always had a little Seinfeld feel to them. its hard for me to explain. but i do think the man has the ability to put out at least one more amazing show. you are however, spot on with the Gervais comparison.

I think he was just grasping at any possible insult at that point. Probably had the mental image of a pitchfork in someone's ass.

Michael Richards' rant has no effect on me watching Kramer and laughing my ass off. I was like, "no wonder he lost his shit, he can't play Kramer anymore." It's like a monkey that isn't allowed to climb trees.

It was an angry stupid pissy rant. It was entirely inappropriate but he's sincerely apologized for it. He hasn't tried to excuse any aspect of it either and honestly I feel he's been long due forgiveness for the incident. Far less talent and overrated actors, musicians, and artists have done worst things with minimal punishments and stigma. I'm still flabbergasted that Chris Brown is not only still popular but even seemingly "respected" by so many.

I was really happy to him in this, it's pretty obvious the incident still haunts him.

http://youtu.be/Wriy3ICfF9U

http://youtu.be/7KuDPfTfw6w

Never really watched it. Aired a half year before I was even born. Its aight. I don't understand the hype, but I'm also very partial to the simpsons being one of the only TV shows I watch.

Anyone have a favorite season to recommend? I wanna get on level, yo

Series 4 to 7 of Seinfeld is just the greatest shit ever.

It's a tricky show to get the feel of initially... but once you're in the zone, dayum - few tv shows have brought me such joy.

Apart from the great writing, I really enjoy the fact that folks that play Kramer, George and Elaine are all such brilliant comic actors, yet Seinfeld himself is relatively limited and is visibly corpsing in about 70% of the scenes he's in. It really shouldn't work - but it does, and creates a very unusual frisson.

So many classic secondary characters too.

I'm getting warm and fuzzy just thinking about this show.

yeah, thats why they all did SO WELL with there own shows. flol

no, all the actors sucked ass. what made the show a gold mine was the writers. specifically Larry David.

I don't agree with this at all, the stuff Larry David wrote outside of Seinfeld and Curb your Enthusiasm has been in a large part very poorly executed. The acting in Seinfeld and they dynamics between the characters made the writing pop.

Watch 'Sour Grapes' with actors who aren't as good as the Seinfeld cast and tell me with a straight face that Larry David's writing made that movie awesome. at the same time though, any movie with that has the guy from Wings as it's lead character already has the deck stacked against it

sourgrapesdvd.jpg

granted, Larry David cant always make gold. but what do you want? the dude is only human. Seinfeld though, was a stroke of genius. not just by him but by everyone, even Jerry. but that still doesn't make Jerry, Julia, Jason, and Micheal great comedic actors. undoubtedly everyone here knows about the Seinfeld curse. that was my point. none of them were funny by themselves and i might add, still aren't. if the writers didn't give these people the lines that they delivered then the show never would have gotten off the ground. maybe saying that the actors didn't have a hand in its success is little foolish, yeah, but still. We wouldn't be sitting here debating what "made" Seinfeld if it weren't for David and the writers.

Bringing up Sour Grapes to discredit Larry David's body of work is quite possibly the lamest thing I think I've ever seen in this community.

Seinfeld = A+

Curb = A+

Whoever said that Seinfeld is better in the context of the other shows in the 90s was right.

However, many episodes still play great, today.

Seinfeld was a game-changer for TV. So many shows since have taken so much from what they did on that show. Nowadays, Seinfeld is so deeply a part of every sit-com on television, good or bad.

If you can't determine that for yourself, it's your loss.

For season recommendations, just watch it all, the progression is important to the show. You really see at the beginning shows about nothing (stuck in a parking garage, stuck in a Chinese restaurant) and then by the end you have 4 singular stories that tie together beautifully

I mostly do not find it funny, I waved it off as another typically US sitcom with a bunch of people getting into wacky situations and sticky relationships but it all works out OK in the end.

amirite?

PS only watched about 3 episodes

I mostly do not find it funny, I waved it off as another typically US sitcom with a bunch of people getting into wacky situations and sticky relationships but it all works out OK in the end.

amirite?

cm-46894-15104bf902938a.gif

amirite?

cm-46894-15104bf902938a.gif

Haha that Seinfeld gif fits that post so appropriately!

Guest theSun

just started watching seinfeld on the dvr. it's pretty good, sort of hard to consider the exact context tho as it was a different world when the show started till when it ended. captures the 90s pretty well tho.

very funny point about the characters basically being sociopaths. seems true enough but i didn't watch later stuff yet.

again with the allergies.

What does it matter though, when you aren't playing the sport and don't give a fk enough to watch it from the stands anyway. (oh yeah, gelt from goy)

Archived