IGNORED

Shinichi Atobe "The Butterfly Effect"

acroyear

The samples sound great. I've heard the original Chain Reaction label 12", and this one sounds very promising. They're no longer advertising the first 200 copies on pink translucent vinyl, so it may be selling fast? 600 copies total were available as of yesterday. I found it cringeworthy the way Boomkat described a $600 copy of his first 12" selling on Discogs in the "review".. that was pretty lame even for them, but anyways:

http://boomkat.com/vinyl/1138121-shinichi-atobe-butterfly-effect

Weird how much the synth in that first sample sounds like "Tilled" by Ludvig Elblaus (sorry, can't find a youtube link) although I don't think it's sampling from it.

Really cool sound although pretty dry and sparse. In that sense I agree with the Susumu Yokota comparison as much as the Actress one mentioned in the review, and for the latter it's the weird detachment and flirtation with a lo-fi sound. It almost feels like a pisstake (that piano sticks out so much it's comedic), although I don't know his other stuff at all so I don't really know what his character is like. At any rate, pretty nice.

Edited by sweepstakes

Ahead of the vinyl arriving, I'll have the digital files on Monday. I'll post my impressions for anyone interested.

please do

this is one of those situations I refuse to nowadays get sucked into (when boomkat tell me it's one of the greatest things of all time and I must act quickly and spend 20 quid or I miss out). I can live with the cd. If I really wanted something sexy made out of translucent pink plastic I'm sure there other websites I can spend my money :biggrin:

Guest Enter a new display name

This album is more about the Boomkat hype for the mysterious one-hit wonder from Chain Reaction than the music itself. It sounds like a collection of random sketches. Some of them might be catchy, but this is hit or miss overall.

Edited by Enter a new display name

Find me a 2xLP dub Techno release that isn't hit or miss. I think these producers WANT 1/3 of their album to suck. That being said, there are some great tracks to be heard on this one. I'm loving the title track "butterfly effect" and "Free Access Zone 5" those two are my favorites right now. Too bad "Access Zone 7" is so bad it's nearly unlistenable. It's one of those annoying throw away tracks that feels like it never gets underway. I'm waiting for the vinyl before I make a proper judgement, I don't want the whole album to feel old when it hits my doorstep next week.

Wake us up when non-shit record stores start stocking these. Until then I'd say the first sentence in Enty's post nails it.

Also, lol if you genuinely think there aren't any dub techno 2x or 3xLPs that aren't hit and miss.

So cool, didn't expect this at all. The first 12" is one of my favourites. I really like the whole super sparse and unpolished aesthetic of it.

I'm not sure if I want to find out if this is just a moniker for some of the CR guys or not.

And while we're at it; bring back Dettinger!!

Wake us up when non-shit record stores start stocking these. Until then I'd say the first sentence in Enty's post nails it.

Also, lol if you genuinely think there aren't any dub techno 2x or 3xLPs that aren't hit and miss.

I do think most of them have filler tracks. Of course there are a few classics that don't. I wish Severence 'Hidden Ceilings' would get pressed to vinyl. It's an amazing album with no filler. Also Fluxion's Vibrant Forms is nearly perfect... Yagya "Rigning" is great from start to finish as well. Rhythm & Sound albums never disappointed me either.

• 3 years later...

So what happened to that orange vinyl on boomkat?

Gone now

Only on sale for less than a day - Shinichi's a popular boy. (Tho i think this is the only thread on watmm for him.) Still can't believe we're getting all these albums after so much inactivity.

So far loving 'Heat'. Cleaner and more upbeat and accessable than anything else in his catalogue but still has that trademark crunch and plasticity.

• 4 years later...