IGNORED

Arturia Software is 50% off at the moment

digman

The Moog modular us up today, might grab it, but the visual interface is rubbish. I wish there was an alternate skin making it more readable and logical for a computer screen.

I guess they'll eventually do a half off on everything, the past deals are still available.

Kinda on the fence with the Moduluar V. Wanted to get it a while back but just kinda forgot about it. Now it's at a nice price but i don't know if i really need it anymore. It just looks like it'd be fun to mess around on.

What say you?

Got the mini v. CPU hog but I'm very impressed.

Really ?! Can't seem to get any of the presets to make my CPU go higher than about 15%, and that's at 88.4KHz ~10ms latency. u-he's Diva on the other hand ..... Oh boy does that make my machine crackle !

Hmm, I bought the Modular V and I'm starting to go through the manual. They tell me to connect to VCA 2 and it doesn't work. Checked gain, checked envelope. Nothing. Connected it out to keyboard tracking and got a really loud clipping sound, that just isn't right. VCA 2 has worked in other patches but not from an initialized one. Anyone else have this problem?

Would be pretty bummed if i unknowingly bought buggy software.

Weird I think I get the same thing, following the Poly tutorial from a blank slate: The first synth sound (to VCA1) was fine, the second one (to VCA2) seemed to add nothing, so I removed VCA1 so just the second sound should be playing and ... BWAAAARRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKcccrackle !

Edit, think I've got it -

Ensure BOTH Envelope 2, and the envelope in VCA2 are set to keytracking (the ones circled in blue) as well as the gain turned up on VCA2 (also circled in blue far bottom right)

modularv.png

Bear in mind my PC is from 2003 and has had very little upgraded.

having said that and slightly off topic, whats a good compy out there in the range of $800-$1000?

As long as you don't mind the overbuilt, heavy case, loud fans and not much room for cards, the best price/performance ratios I see are slightly out of date, used rack servers. For some reason I don't hear people talk about them much, but they're worth checking out. To illustrate my point, here's way too much detail about the one I use as a dedicated production machine right now:

My current setup is a used Dell Poweredge R710. It has a 2tb RAID array, dual quad core Xeon processors (16 logical cores), and 16 gigs of ram with room to upgrade to just under 400 gigs (not a typo) and it cost me about $750 on eBay two years ago, plus another $50 or so to ship (MSRP was $8000). I've had to swap out one drive in the array so far but other than that it has worked flawlessly for two years, and NOS enterprise grade 1tb drives that match the ones it came with are about $50 each right now so I grabbed a couple spares. In general, they're a lot more modular than the regular workstations I've had and a lot of parts are really cheap. I picked up some extra unused drive caddies for a few dollars each (the thing will hold up to 6 drives, hot-swappable) and most of the other parts that are socketed can be had for not much. Pretty much everything can be swapped out without tools in a matter of seconds.

The fans are REALLY loud, though, and there's not much room in the case so if you want to put in a halfway decent video card you're probably out of luck. As a standalone recording machine, though, I don't know how you could do better for the money. In fact, an identically specced machine in a tower case without the RAID controller went for more than twice as much around the same time I got mine. People don't like rack cases.

But seriously, LOUD FANS. I have to keep mine in the closet.

The only time I've gotten the CPU load above 5% was a couple weeks ago when I had a session that included 14 instances of Klanghelm MJUC in HQ mode. That got into the mid 20s.

Bear in mind my PC is from 2003 and has had very little upgraded.

having said that and slightly off topic, whats a good compy out there in the range of $800-$1000?

As long as you don't mind the overbuilt, heavy case, loud fans and not much room for cards, the best price/performance ratios I see are slightly out of date, used rack servers. For some reason I don't hear people talk about them much, but they're worth checking out. To illustrate my point, here's way too much detail about the one I use as a dedicated production machine right now:

My current setup is a used Dell Poweredge R710. It has a 2tb RAID array, dual quad core Xeon processors (16 logical cores), and 16 gigs of ram with room to upgrade to just under 400 gigs (not a typo) and it cost me about $750 on eBay two years ago, plus another $50 or so to ship (MSRP was $8000). I've had to swap out one drive in the array so far but other than that it has worked flawlessly for two years, and NOS enterprise grade 1tb drives that match the ones it came with are about $50 each right now so I grabbed a couple spares. In general, they're a lot more modular than the regular workstations I've had and a lot of parts are really cheap. I picked up some extra unused drive caddies for a few dollars each (the thing will hold up to 6 drives, hot-swappable) and most of the other parts that are socketed can be had for not much. Pretty much everything can be swapped out without tools in a matter of seconds.

The fans are REALLY loud, though, and there's not much room in the case so if you want to put in a halfway decent video card you're probably out of luck. As a standalone recording machine, though, I don't know how you could do better for the money. In fact, an identically specced machine in a tower case without the RAID controller went for more than twice as much around the same time I got mine. People don't like rack cases.

But seriously, LOUD FANS. I have to keep mine in the closet.

The only time I've gotten the CPU load above 5% was a couple weeks ago when I had a session that included 14 instances of Klanghelm MJUC in HQ mode. That got into the mid 20s.

I'm constantly hitting 90-100% with everything playing everything at the moment. I never thought of rack units. The loud fans and power consumption might be a problem though. Thank you for the suggestion!

tried the SEM one, didn't go so smoothly for me.

Hard to figure out the controls or whats going on.

the animation at the top panel isn't my cup of tea, kind of steampunk. it takes too many nanoseconds away to say "look at me, im animated"
it would be great with alternate gui that was designed for people who do not have the SEM manual.

Archived