IGNORED

I need help with a personal problem I've been having

drillkicker

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Volunteer work or random acts of kindness? Sometimes scratches the itch rather well, knowing you did good.

Maybe, but I don't normally bother much with morality. It all seems pointless to me.

It's not really about morality, it's just a simple act of offering help to another human being or beings, in case they need it, whether or not you believe in karma or morals or whatever (I don't). I help people here and there but wouldn't say it's because of 'moral duty' or forcing myself to help because it is the Right Thing To Do. I do it because it feels good, it's a satisfying feeling in of itself to help someone else who is in trouble, to know someone else's burden is lightened, even if it wasn't all that heavy to begin with. I am happy when someone helps me out, whether or not I really needed the help, even more so if I really am in trouble, so I presume that it is the same for other people.

Also, I point out to you that if this feeling of yours hasn't gone away, and you haven't tried this simple method--helping someone or some people out--then how can you know it won't work? How do you know it's pointless until someone has sincerely thanked you for helping them, whether or not it was a big or small act of kindness? It's a very simple thing to try, and worth trying, especially if it may help.

have u tried posting dank memes

Joking aside, here's things that have worked for me:

- Meditation, for sure. I find it helps keep me focused and mentally healthy, and often helps me clarify what I want out of life/this week/today/whatever. It keeps you grounded amidst all the clamour of social media, the news, etc, etc, and might help you see how you can scratch the itch you're describing. It's easy as fuck and can be very relaxing; the Scottish comedian Limmy actually wrote a great, simple wee primer which I found very useful:
http://www.limmy.com/2014/03/19/meditation-and-mental-health-a-guide/

- Lots of walks out in nature, definitely.

- I don't think you mentioned whether or not you're working? I have a shitty bar job, and it forces you to get out of the house and interact with people. It might seem counter-intuitive but I find doing a really mindless, shitty job actually makes me more creative in my spare time and makes me really appreciate the time I do have for creative work. For me, there's a definite connection between periods of unemployment and low self-esteem/ feeling shitty/ general dissatisfaction. Something like bar work is good because you don't take it home with you at all: it's go in, work hard, get the sweet cash loot, go home, done and dusted. It's not always healthy to be thinking obsessively about your own creative processes, I find.

Anyway, those things work for me.

I got a lot more replies overnight than I was expecting, and I can't respond to all of them, so I'll just answer a couple of things.

Leon asked whether I have a job. I do not. I haven't been able to find one around here, so I'm stuck without a source of income. I am going to start going to classes again soon, though. I'm going to try looking for someplace that might hire me, but I'm not sure how many opportunities are available in this area, since not much goes on here.

Someone said that big adventures are just concepts invented by the media. This isn't true, because I know people who have actually done it and had great results. It isn't some fictional idea that was made up by some powerful people to brainwash us.

I don't think I'll be going to Brazil if I do end up traveling, but if I do I think Spanish will work well enough. My father said that he knew a Spanish-speaker and a Portuguese-speaker and they would converse in those two languages and understand each other well enough to have a conversation. I don't know how accurate that is, but Dutch will be more useful to learn incase I decide to explore the northern areas a bit. The most important thing, of course, is actually finding food and shelter in Central and South America. I don't know anybody who's traveled through those regions, so it seems sketchy to me. The media likes to make those areas look very rough, so I'm not sure what it's really like; it's best to expect the worse, though. In truth, I'm considering this voyage as a sort of warm up for exploring Southeast Asia, which I'd really like to do someday, but that place is even sketchier than Latin America (and I'm even less familiar with the languages).

In response to Kavinsky, I don't believe that people were that busy in the past. People in general worked less in the nomadic days than they do now, since they didn't have big societies to support. That's why there are so many thoroughly developed styles of traditional art around the world.

Gocab said that I should go out into nature a bit, which is something that I've been planning on doing. I would like to start carving wood to occupy myself, but I don't currently have a knife suitable for carving. I've been trying to decide whether it's worth it to buy a carving knife. I don't want to invest in one only to find out that woodworking isn't for me.

Hoggy described my situation very well. He knows what's going on. In response to Hoggy's advice to answer the question with as little thought as possible, the answers I come up with at first thought are usually to read some poetry or listen to new music. Both of those things tend to make me feel better, especially when I'm getting into artists I haven't listened to much before. It's always only a temporary distraction, though, and wears off pretty quickly. What I really feel like doing at those times is to pull out my typewriter and just start writing a story, but the problem is that I can never think of something that I want to write about. When I try to think of something I just give up and do something else.

I'm not going to go to Latin America without learning at least basic Spanish first, so don't worry about that. I already know a bit of French, so that should help. Romance languages aren't anything new to me, anyway.

Guest D1Beard

Doesn't seem like you can figure it out on your own -- do you have a female friend who's good at listening and asking questions? The answer is probably there, just blocked by stagnant and/or ineffective neural patterns. If talking doesn't work, travel is highly recommended. That will totally restructure your brain and lead to some good releases. It is possible to travel with no money, but not recommended. If you can get over the hump that is your depression/angst and tough it out at a job for a month, you could save up $1000 and then go - it's really easy to travel with that kind of cushion, especially if you're staying at hostels, ridesharing, couchsurfing and other grassroots/community travel efforts.

If you're struggling to think of something to write about, try writing up a fictional account of your trip to Peru, and you might find a story coming out of that. A lot of writers write about things they wish to happen or conversely don't wish to happen (Zadie Smith wrote a novel about a failing marriage months after getting married herself, for example) + from that comes something else entirely. Worst comes to worst, you can work out some of your fears into fiction and see if they seem reasonable to you.

If you ever get kidnapped and need an emergency translator hit me up

"I know a guy who can translate for me."

"OK, what's his name?"
"ThatSpanishGuy."

"Which one?"

"ThatSpanishGuy, I said."

"You're going to have to narrow it down."

Didn't read the thread, barely read the first post, but here is my suggestion.

- Realign your chakras; meditation, yoga, power crystals, psychedelic experiences.

- Take better care of your body and brain. Use some supplements that will balance all those nice chemicals like 5-htp, L-tryptophan, L-theanine, etc.

- Make goals.

- Achieve goals.

- Find a lovely lady.

- Get super fit via yoga & body weight exercise.

- Get some nice tattoos.

- Work on lengthening your penis.

Doesn't seem like you can figure it out on your own -- do you have a female friend who's good at listening and asking questions? The answer is probably there, just blocked by stagnant and/or ineffective neural patterns. If talking doesn't work, travel is highly recommended. That will totally restructure your brain and lead to some good releases. It is possible to travel with no money, but not recommended. If you can get over the hump that is your depression/angst and tough it out at a job for a month, you could save up $1000 and then go - it's really easy to travel with that kind of cushion, especially if you're staying at hostels, ridesharing, couchsurfing and other grassroots/community travel efforts.

That sounds like a good idea. Knowing myself, I'll probably wait until it's $2000 or more just to be safe, and then I'll probably only spend it as a last resort. I'm likely going to be bringing a guitar along so I can busk for extra cash.

If you're struggling to think of something to write about, try writing up a fictional account of your trip to Peru, and you might find a story coming out of that.

Well I wouldn't know where to start because the entire reason I want to go is because I have absolutely no idea of what it would be like. South America is attractive to me precisely because I know almost nothing about it. Writing about something that I can't even picture in my mind won't work out too well. Though a fictional story about traveling in general in a nonspecific area is more my kind of thing. I prefer to focus on the individual in a setting that only extends as far as the character's immediate perception. It feels more ambiguous that way, which is the kind of thing that I really like.

What I really feel like doing at those times is to pull out my typewriter and just start writing a story, but the problem is that I can never think of something that I want to write about. When I try to think of something I just give up and do something else.

So write about nothing - something and nothing can be equally interesting

Hi drillkicker

Backpacking certainly was the best thing I ever did in my life. I went for a year to Australia when I was 20 (with a working visa), I then never looked back. My parents were cool with me living at home so I would go travelling for a while, then come home work hard and replenish my funds and go off again.

I ended up doing three years (12 month stints) in Oz, 6 months in New Zealand, a year in S.E Asia, half a year in Nepal and India and also travelled through Africa. Pretty mad stuff lol. I could write pages and pages. I kind of keep it to myself, even on here watmm I think I may of mentioned it on one occassion. I only bring it up with people I know will get my drift tbh, which in my circles is rare.

I need to remind myself that before I went away on my first adventure to Australia by myself, I had never been abroad, I had never even been on a plane, I was very socially shy and was weighing in at about 17 stone (but I'm a big lad naturally so not as huge as you might think lol) I also not long had got over my childhood nervous stutter, which blighted me up to my mid-teens. I just deleted a whole paragraph 'cause I can see myself rambling on and one thing I never do is to turn this in to some great life story of mine, no way. I'll just cut it and say go.

Pm if you want (thoughit's the weekend so don't expect real quick response times :wink: )

Well it's a long story my friend. And a good one. But I prefer to keep it to myself, I'm not one for being the centre of attention. That's not meant to sound arrogant but I just don't feel comfortable talking about myself, never have been. I'm also had a few brews down the neck, and that's always a sign to not write too much lol. Full moon/8 beers= same foolishness prevails. I don't want to crash into this thread with my life story. All I wanted to say is that going on a journey is a cool thing to do.

Didn't read the thread, barely read the first post, but here is my suggestion.

- Realign your chakras; meditation, yoga, power crystals, psychedelic experiences.

- Get super fit via yoga & body weight exercise.

- Get some nice tattoos.

- Work on lengthening your penis.

I don't think he asked how to devolve into a complete narcissistic twat. But these steps will get you there pretty fast.

lol power crystals, fuck me. Really?! I hope this is a form of trolling. Mix psychedelics with insecure body image issues and an ego to match and you'll be playing with your tattoo'd cock, peaking off a puddle of good wash and flexing massive in a crowd full of douchebags essentially doing the same thing at Coachella.

Then you'll be happy :cerious:

Guest D1Beard

I agree with above poster. Nomadic travel was the best thing I ever did for myself. I had the travel bug pretty badly, but it only took about 4-5 months to feel I had resolved a good plenty of peculiarities in myself. Healing's the real deal. Our brains are under a ton of stress and our bodies are not really doing much of what they were meant to do - the result is an unsettling sense that something's wrong... maybe not quite right. I think moving about, seeing new countries, hearing new languages, it all opens up the brain/nervous system so it can start handling reality better and making more constructive orders on the rest of your life. I'm reading this book on evolution and the diversity of life right now and changing environments is the single most important catalyst for evolutionary change in species. We live indoors all day, see the same things, and it doesn't force us to expand or grow in any meaningful way. I look forward to seeing how you approach your feelings and desires. Keep us up to date!

And you might consider trying some lucrative seasonal work - if you're of hearty stature and can work 12 hrs/day for 2 weeks, check out the annual sugar beet harvest in the red river valley (assuming you're in the US) - that's about 2 grand in your pocket. If not, check out the mayo clinic's website for studies - they're often generously compensated, though a little torturous.

post in watmm. you only have 300 posts. once you get up to MY level you will understand things a lot more tbh.

hydraulic fracking has been known to be a great cure for depression, sheatheman has the right idea, take his advice

and i don't mean his advice about posting on watmm, i mean desperately trying to suck the last remaining resources on the planet through absolutely insane means

Guest kymppinetti

boredom is good in most of cases, it makes you to try and do new things. tell you what: do something that you have never even dreamed of. i don't know what, choose yourself. for example just pick up a newspaper and do the first thing you read on it. something like that.

or you can just wank and drink booze.

Archived