IGNORED

what aphex tracks are you fixated on at the moment?

Bubba69

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

syro u473t8+e

When syro came out it was one of y least favorite track,i even disliked it,now i cant stop listening to it.

I think it is just a property of Richards best tracks (mainly on Drukqs/Syro/Tuss), fairly inaccessible at first, not very special or captivating to listen to, and then over time it grows into a full, competent track, and then give it another 10-100 listens and suddenly you're fixated, can't stop listening as the track is the best thing you've heard since forever (I'm talking to you Ziggomatic). I'm pretty sure it's down to the complexity, his insane detail and progression he puts in, but I wouldn't rule out the harnessing of a higher power or the fact that he might be from a race of ancient aliens. :trollface::aphexsign:

familiarity breeds consent.

Yeah, when you are completely familiar with how a track goes you can appreciate the sound of it and how everything relates together, also I think when you are subconsciously expecting everything to come, it makes it more satisfying (especially if the tune is fucking dope), rather than hearing it for the first time in which you don't what where it is going.

syro u473t8+e

When syro came out it was one of y least favorite track,i even disliked it,now i cant stop listening to it.

I think it is just a property of Richards best tracks (mainly on Drukqs/Syro/Tuss), fairly inaccessible at first, not very special or captivating to listen to, and then over time it grows into a full, competent track, and then give it another 10-100 listens and suddenly you're fixated, can't stop listening as the track is the best thing you've heard since forever (I'm talking to you Ziggomatic). I'm pretty sure it's down to the complexity, his insane detail and progression he puts in, but I wouldn't rule out the harnessing of a higher power or the fact that he might be from a race of ancient aliens. :trollface::aphexsign:

Well it very rarely happens to me,everything in drukqs and the tuss,everything else in syro i loved almost instantly!

But this one....its a mystery,i really disliked it! But now i may very well be my favorite or at least top 3 track from syro! Its like i was blind to its genius!!

I guess the alien theory come into play here :)

It was too far in the stratosphere for my poor brain!

They have found that when people are exposed repeatedly to music that they wouldn't normally like, that they come to enjoy it. I find this finding fascinating because it explains the fanboy effect, whereupon guys will say that they have to give something a few listens, "to really get it", or "get into it" or whatever. I have always suspected that what they are doing is a form of propagandising to themselves the value of the song, enforcing the self delusion, "it's so and so, so it must be good".

Like fxbip, i know whether i like a song instantly, and can skim about to see whether it taps into my veins of interest or not. This hasn't led me to miss out on music, and i have very broad tastes compared to your usual punter. I know what i said will probably upset a few people, but perhaps you could assess how you come to like things from this perspective, if not carry on, i'm not judging you.

I like the second section of syro u473t8+e, it's p cool.

They have found that when people are exposed repeatedly to music that they wouldn't normally like, that they come to enjoy it. I find this finding fascinating because it explains the fanboy effect, whereupon guys will say that they have to give something a few listens, "to really get it", or "get into it" or whatever. I have always suspected that what they are doing is a form of propagandising to themselves the value of the song, enforcing the self delusion, "it's so and so, so it must be good".

Like fxbip, i know whether i like a song instantly, and can skim about to see whether it taps into my veins of interest or not. This hasn't led me to miss out on music, and i have very broad tastes compared to your usual punter. I know what i said will probably upset a few people, but perhaps you could assess how you come to like things from this perspective, if not carry on, i'm not judging you.

I get what you're saying but in my case if I ''get into a song after a few listens'' it usually happens when I play my library on shuffle and suddenly out of the blue there comes this wicked tune which I have previously overlooked for some reason. In general I have full albums and don't delet... any tracks no matter how shit they might feel like on the first round, so there's a good chance that something interesting might be on the way when listening on shuffle. I'm not forcing myself to like anything though - that would be just silly. But there really are some tracks that need a couple of listens for one to understand their true value. IMHO

I get what you're saying but in my case if I ''get into a song after a few listens'' it usually happens when I play my library on shuffle and suddenly out of the blue there comes this wicked tune which I have previously overlooked for some reason. In general I have full albums and don't delet... any tracks no matter how shit they might feel like on the first round, so there's a good chance that something interesting might be on the way when listening on shuffle. I'm not forcing myself to like anything though - that would be just silly. But there really are some tracks that need a couple of listens for one to understand their true value. IMHO

Yeah, I'm not talking about every track, just certain ones that really open themselves up on repeated listens. Tracks from ICBYD, RDJ and the SAW's are all one hit wonders, and even tracks like Mt Saint Michel and Vordhosbn completely had me on the first listen, but other tracks like 54 Cymru Beats, Ziggomatic, Cock Ver 10, Syro, the Circlonts and others took a few listens to understand what is going on and enjoy. Then you get tracks like Synthacon, Meltphace, Acrid Avid Jam Shred, tracks that were good on the first few listens, but something clicks on the 50th or so and suddenly it's an absolute masterpiece. Very situational, and yeah I can usually tell if I am going to like a track straight away but some do warrant that second or third listen. However I am definitely not forcing myself to like anything, I'm talking about repeated listens over a long period of time and not in one go, which I think is what those studies are imply.

fair enough, i don't feel like what you're doing exemplifies what i was pontificating about, as it's more a case of there's so much music out there, it's easy to overlook things, especially when you are initially bamboozled by the more accessibly tasty tracks on something. So it's not an either or and there's plenty of grey area. I was moaning about fanbois, some of the shit they like man, holy smell, they probably have to go into a room and have a staff in white coats tape their eyes open.

@ slate, to what you said. because i had no problem hearing 54 cymru the first time.

Another thing could be that some people's brain's just aren't as quick or musically attuned, so it does take more time for them to process the more complexly textured musical pieces. But better not go there like i'm founding some mugenics movement, heheh. And this is a grey area too. You are not wrong, i think we're just talking about different things, but maybe you feel you got lumped in to my overly broad statement. I don't find things to be masterpieces later that i initially didn't rate though. The weighted value of a piece relative to others is locked in from first listen.

fair enough, i don't feel like what you're doing exemplifies what i was pontificating about, as it's more a case of there's so much music out there, it's easy to overlook things, especially when you are initially bamboozled by the more accessibly tasty tracks on something. So it's not an either or and there's plenty of grey area. I was moaning about fanbois, some of the shit they like man, holy smell, they probably have to go into a room and have a staff in white coats tape their eyes open.

@ slate, to what you said. because i had no problem hearing 54 cymru the first time.

Another thing could be that some people's brain's just aren't as quick or musically attuned, so it does take more time for them to process the more complexly textured musical pieces. But better not go there like i'm founding some mugenics movement, heheh. And this is a grey area too. You are not wrong, i think we're just talking about different things, but maybe you feel you got lumped in to my overly broad statement. I don't find things to be masterpieces later that i initially didn't rate though. The weighted value of a piece relative to others is locked in from first listen.

Othe than syro u473t8+e,the other music i can remember that took me some time to really appreciate and love and that are now some of my favorite are Beethoven late string quartets(some much going on and so original,but i was like 15 when i first heard them,so maybe thats why)Bach Art of The Fugue and Musical Offering(extremely complex and layered music,its really takes a while to digest)and Tool Aenima album.

All of these works are now some of my favorites music ever.So it does happen sometimes that some truly great music that you did nt quite like at first grow on you.

So i think its true especially if not a hardcore musician,some music have to be listen multiple times or need some effort to understand and to grow on you.

But i was surprise with Syro track cause it has not happen to me in years!

syro u473t8+e was instantly one of my favorite tracks. it's like future funk with a classic acid feel and what reminds of me bluegrass progressions. and i love the journey it takes you on. feels like a story.

Syro title track and Marchromt30a original mix.

Both of them have those floating newish-Aphex melodies in their structures that are so damn good. Syro with 3:46 to the end and Marchromt30a with 5:22 to the end. So gooooooood.

In syro that bladerunner-esque panning synth that plays during the end makes me melt every time. Drool-Eargasm.

Produk 29 is the track I've been fixated on and listening to religiously for 2-3 days. Amazing tune, the whole song just has such strong melodic foundations (great note progression G# > E > F > A), massive drums and huge bass synths to boot. Every second after 3:19 is complete aural heaven, and the ending has that same level of emotion that you find at the absolute pinnacle of Syro. Mind-blowing how something this well crafted is (dare I say it) treated as a sort of filler on Syro, it's easily one of the standout tunes, but then the album is full of standout tunes! :music:

Syro title track and Marchromt30a original mix.

Both of them have those floating newish-Aphex melodies in their structures that are so damn good. Syro with 3:46 to the end and Marchromt30a with 5:22 to the end. So gooooooood.

In syro that bladerunner-esque panning synth that plays during the end makes me melt every time. Drool-Eargasm.

I fucking love Marchromt30a (the slow one). it's probably my favourite of all the new stuff.

Produk 29 is the track I've been fixated on and listening to religiously for 2-3 days. Amazing tune, the whole song just has such strong melodic foundations (great note progression G# > E > F > A), massive drums and huge bass synths to boot. Every second after 3:19 is complete aural heaven, and the ending has that same level of emotion that you find at the absolute pinnacle of Syro. Mind-blowing how something this well crafted is (dare I say it) treated as a sort of filler on Syro, it's easily one of the standout tunes, but then the album is full of standout tunes! :music:

^this

I've been preaching the Produk 29 gospel since the release of the album, but a lot of people seem to forget how great this track is. More basic and stripped down Aphex is still fantastic Aphex. This is probably my favourite track off the album.

Archived