IGNORED

Post one thing people here do not know yet

o00o

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Sorry to pull the ol' 'Limpy double-post' but...)

Many religious and philosophical traditions deal explicitly with these three categories (Order, Chaos, Logos):

For example, Taoism

Which is symbolized by the 'yin-yang'

'Yin' literally means 'the shady/hidden side of the mountain'

'Yang' literally means 'the sunny/visible side of the mountain'

And "Tao" ("the way") is the line/path that runs through the middle of the two

Meaning essentially 'the best strategy is to have one foot in order and one in chaos'

Which is exactly why Exposure Therapy literally cures* anxiety and PTSD

(*Given that the individual exposes themselves to Chaos voluntarily)

I used to think ancient cultures were dumb

And that *we* were the enlightened ones

well, I've certainly changed my tune on that...

Holy shit.  It's like the answer to my metaphorical prayers.  I need to continue exposing myself to the chaos of real life more instead of being scared of it.  That's why I'm failing in many areas

/end_rant

The holder of a certain large mining project in a certain Canadian province no longer holds title to the mining claims covering yhe highest-grade portion of their deposit, which is also the site for their published resource and modelled pit outline. They stupidly let the claims momentarily lapse, and some random dude restaked them online in the half an hour or so that they were open. They conveniently avoided mentioning all this in their most recent assessment report

I pretended to run away from my 3 year old daughter and she stopped and said "daddy why don't you like me anymore?".

I turned around and she was smiling mischievously

Up until now she really just pointed to teddys and dolls and said "me's that"

(Sorry to pull the ol' 'Limpy double-post' but...)

Many religious and philosophical traditions deal explicitly with these three categories (Order, Chaos, Logos):

For example, Taoism

Which is symbolized by the 'yin-yang'

'Yin' literally means 'the shady/hidden side of the mountain'

'Yang' literally means 'the sunny/visible side of the mountain'

And "Tao" ("the way") is the line/path that runs through the middle of the two

Meaning essentially 'the best strategy is to have one foot in order and one in chaos'

Which is exactly why Exposure Therapy literally cures* anxiety and PTSD

(*Given that the individual exposes themselves to Chaos voluntarily)

I used to think ancient cultures were dumb

And that *we* were the enlightened ones

well, I've certainly changed my tune on that...

Holy shit. It's like the answer to my metaphorical prayers. I need to continue exposing myself to the chaos of real life more instead of being scared of it. That's why I'm failing in many areas

/end_rant

You want a fucking magical bit of information that will help you along even further?

Here is how negative emotion and your limbic system work:

You are going about your day

Something happens and now you're having a bad time

And maybe this happens daily

maybe some bit of your environment is causing this over and over

(And by 'environment' I mean literally anything that registers in your phenomenological field...e.g. thoughts, fantasies, other people, your relationship with culture/society, your bedroom, the sensations of your body...literally any- and everything)

Okay, so here's what's happening in your limbic system

(and happily, this offers a solution):

Your memory exists so that you can make maps of your environment

(So you know how to act in the environment to get what you want and not immediately die)

Anytime you encounter something in reality that isn't on your map

Your hippocampus goes "dude, your map is wrong"

And so it consults with your pre-frontal cortex to see if the error in your map can be patched right there and then

If it can't be, your amygdala activates

And fills you with fear and anxiety, basically saying "this environment might destroy you...leave now"

Also, Cortisol is now pumping through your veins:

you are now prepared to wrestle a giant reptile to the death if need be

Okay, so what does it mean to be anxious about things like social situations or new environments?

It means you need to figure them out--

Map them so you can devise behavioral strategies to navigate them--

so that your anxiety goes away

If standing in line at the coffee shop makes you anxious

Or any social situation does

Your amygdala is telling you that your map of the social environment has a gap or error in it

And you need to voluntarily venture into the chaos, step by step, until you have a sufficiently-detailed map (i.e. Until you know how to act to get what you want)

The Way of the Samurai is found in death. Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily. Every day when one's body and mind are at peace, one should meditate upon being ripped apart by arrows, rifles, spears and swords, being carried away by surging waves, being thrown into the midst of a great fire, being struck by lightning, being shaken to death by a great earthquake, falling from thousand-foot cliffs, dying of disease or committing seppuku at the death of one's master. And every day without fail one should consider himself as dead. This is the substance of the way of the samurai.

Bushido is actually a modern (late19th, early 20th century) invention utilized to inspire nationalism.

you could also just be hyper-stimulated and not necessarily "lacking a map"

How would being "hyper-stimulated" cause negative emotion?

because it causes cortisol release and an increase in heart rate which will magnify any discomfort you have. That coupled with the fact that most people's bodies are quite literally broken will be a perfect storm for anxiety. I think the basis for most people's social anxiety is actually biological not psychological although they are intertwined. Having bad posture, weak muscles, having your skeleton not being properly aligned, and poor gut microbiome. All these things and more keep it in a sort of high alert mode. That coupled with weird sleeping habits, disrupted circadian rhythm, which is more or less unavoidable unless you take good care to keep it on track, and the regular use of stimulants, is basically all going to make you feel unable to relax. 

And this may not be for all people with social anxiety, but the moment you get around people you get waves of massive input and your system is basically on a hair-trigger and it overloads. I don't think for a lot of people it has anything at all to do with not understanding how to behave or what's appropriate, etc. i.e. having a map.

All or most of these things are subconscious goings on that people really don't take the time to learn about their body. 

But I also think there is a blind spot to any approach that tries to characterize how the brain operates without also taking into account the entire body.

you could also just be hyper-stimulated and not necessarily "lacking a map"

How would being "hyper-stimulated" cause negative emotion?

because it causes cortisol release and an increase in heart rate which will magnify any discomfort you have. That coupled with the fact that most people's bodies are quite literally broken will be a perfect storm for anxiety. I think the basis for most people's social anxiety is actually biological not psychological although they are intertwined. Having bad posture, weak muscles, having your skeleton not being properly aligned, and poor gut microbiome. All these things and more keep it in a sort of high alert mode. That coupled with weird sleeping habits, disrupted circadian rhythm, which is more or less unavoidable unless you take good care to keep it on track, and the regular use of stimulants, is basically all going to make you feel unable to relax.

And this may not be for all people with social anxiety, but the moment you get around people you get waves of massive input and your system is basically on a hair-trigger and it overloads. I don't think for a lot of people it has anything at all to do with not understanding how to behave or what's appropriate, etc. i.e. having a map.

All or most of these things are subconscious goings on that people really don't take the time to learn about their body.

But I also think there is a blind spot to any approach that tries to characterize how the brain operates without also taking into account the entire body.

1) Your emotions are basically a meter that register how much the world aligns with your motivational states and your desired state of the world. You don't get anxiety from just being exposed to people, like it's radiation or something. That anxiety comes from uncertainty about what might happen, and not knowing what to do about what might happen.

If you could perfectly predict the near future, and perfectly decide how to act therefor to get exactly what you want, you would not have even one bit of anxiety. Period.

2) Yes of course having a broken body will cause anxiety...your body turns into a mass of chaos and you don't know how to act to fix it or otherwise get what you want...if you suddenly learned how to fix your body, it wouldn't cause you anxiety anymore.

3) I'm not a fan of "it's biology" or "it's genetics" explanations unless the person offering them can account for how *specifically* they are gunking things up...otherwise it's like saying "the reason people are anxious is because they're molecules are misaligned"...like yeah that's technically true in some sense, but if you can't account for specifically HOW that hunks up the phenomenological system, then I'm not very sympathetic.

And also it's the classic "growth mindset" vs "fixed mindset" thing

"I guess I just have bad genes"

Well isn't that convenient that you're not responsible for the state of your well-being...stay the course!

Archived