IGNORED

Ableton Live 11

hijexx

9 hours ago, user said:

Yeah, and the unfold track also works in arrangement view, also supposed to be able to show/hide automation lanes I think but seems to not be working currently. With midi stroke you could technically also add stuff like consolidate and split clip etc but for now that would add too much complexity for me. 

Yeah, it’s a real beast of it’s own, but that seems to be the general consensus anyway. I noticed that lately I’ve enjoyed using the internet evolvers own interface more than controlling it from the sound tower editor the person I bought it from added in the sale. 
I’ve been meaning to use it as a processing box for ages but still haven’t gotten round to it. Same for using the ins to trigger the sequencer or envelopes. Gotta get on this soon. 

This is the video:

These types of “masterclasses” can be quite cringey but this interviewer always comes across as a genuine dude and Mathew Dear is really upstanding as well I think. 

many thanks for linking that, saved it up for when i do some studio restructuring again in the next few weeks ? that unfolding/showing tracks/etc in arrangement view via CC and a lot of the other you mentioned really does sound useful.

'internet evolvers own interface?' not sure what you mean...is there a software or web-based interface for controlling the Evolver you're using?

yeah using the ins to trigger is really a special piece of magic imo. not something i've used a lot, but it is crazy interesting and it's made its way onto a few tracks of mine. would love to have more gear that was able to do similar stuff. it's definitely a bit dirty as an effects processor, but if that's the sound you're going for it can be really interesting...you surely know what it's capable of with sequencing/etc, so having something as an effects box with all that possibility really leads to some cool stuff that would never happen with another piece of kit in front of me. desktop Evolver is going to be a straight up classic in another 10-20 years, but i think DSI sold a good bit of them so hopefully they'll never get stupid expensive or anything. not that i care, i'm never selling mine anyway :catghost:

55 minutes ago, neurone said:

you will laught at me, but I'm still using abelton V.5 and still does not feel like I need any upgrade since then.

...well I only use midi clips to feed a full hardware setup, mixed on analogue mixer, actually. so it does the job, obvioulsy.

as much as Ableton has changed, the core is VERY much the same as it has been for a long time, at least from my understanding of its history. i only started using it back on like 7 or 8, but i'm sure you could upgrade to 11 tomorrow and be perfectly comfortable using it for the most part....lots and lots of cool bells and whistles now, if you're into that tho ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, neurone said:

you will laught at me, but I'm still using abelton V.5 and still does not feel like I need any upgrade since then.

...well I only use midi clips to feed a full hardware setup, mixed on analogue mixer, actually. so it does the job, obvioulsy.

This is cool. I wish I could pull this off too, but for now I use Ableton as my mixer as well, so it's more difficult.

Your soundcloud is nice btw!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thawkins said:

This is cool. I wish I could pull this off too, but for now I use Ableton as my mixer as well, so it's more difficult.

shure , but right now you're saving a lot of space in your studio, and might have way more routing options than with an analogue mixer.

I still stuck to my mixer coz I love the instant access on every fader & aux sends , dub-style mixing, instant control on feedback loops without latency, etc...

and I always works on livesets, using clip mode not arrangement mode, for the sake of playing live.

but If I you work on proper studio tracks, ITB mixing is more flexible and it's easier to get excatly what you want, you can automate and save settings etc, wich I cannot.

3 hours ago, thawkins said:

Your soundcloud is nice btw!

hey thanks ! mostly old live drum'n' bass stuff in here, check out my bandcamp fore more different stuff :emb:

https://neurone45.bandcamp.com/

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 11:03 PM, neurone said:

i get this, however ableton recording midi in the background without having to press record which was introduced a few versions ago is extremely useful if you're using ableton as a sequencer

Edited by pizza

On 4/9/2021 at 11:56 AM, pizza said:

i get this, however ableton recording midi in the background without having to press record which was introduced a few versions ago is extremely useful if you're using ableton as a sequencer

I thought that function was for recording some MIDI that you forgot to set arrangement record for, not for catching full multitrack jam sessions. Like before you start play, set arrangement record and then hack away and edit all the MIDI and automation down later.

F***king piece of s**t software, deleting a MIDI track in the middle of arrangement record should not cause the whole computer to freeze and crash. Also who is the brain genius who wrote that auto-updating script to do it's thing while I am recording stuff?!?! Yup let me air gap the laptop I do live streams from like a aluminum foil hat paranoid person in order to prevent this from happening.

:catrage:

Sorry, just needed to get this out of my chakra system.

Does anyone know if there is a way to crossfade/blend between 2 or more MIDI clips in ableton? Vaguely recall this being possible with Clyph-x but I'd like to avoid diving down that rabbit hole again.  I'm not entirely sure based on which rules such an operation would decide which note gets blended in/faded out at what point, but I'm sure there would be some musically pleasing scenarios thinkable depending on the pattern. Or it could just be linear I guess where the first note in clip A gets added, which then replaces the first note in clip B for example. Or something based on velocity or note duration, or occurrence.      

Thought it might be cool to blend drum patterns and make melodies this way.          

Edited by user

sure most of you who might be interested have already heard of Ned Rush but he's doing some good stuff showing off some of the new manipulations/exploitations allowed w/ Live 11. was already working on an Ableton drum machine but he's showing off a few cool things i hadn't noticed in these last few videos

1 hour ago, user said:

Does anyone know if there is a way to crossfade/blend between 2 or more MIDI clips in ableton?

you can just use two tracks playing the same MIDI clips and feed them into the device playing MIDI. there's at least a couple of ways you could filter out one or the other to create a 'blending/crossfading' effect but not sure that's quite what you want.

16 hours ago, thawkins said:

F***king piece of s**t software, deleting a MIDI track in the middle of arrangement record should not cause the whole computer to freeze and crash. Also who is the brain genius who wrote that auto-updating script to do it's thing while I am recording stuff?!?! Yup let me air gap the laptop I do live streams from like a aluminum foil hat paranoid person in order to prevent this from happening.

:catrage:

Sorry, just needed to get this out of my chakra system.

settings: licenses maintenance: get automatic updates: never

edit: that does suck tho thawkins, losing recordings is always painful ?

Edited by auxien

7 hours ago, auxien said:

edit: that does suck tho thawkins, losing recordings is always painful ?

I would not give a damn if it was just the recording - I crashed straight out of our weekly livestream. We'll never make it big like that!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, user said:

Does anyone know if there is a way to crossfade/blend between 2 or more MIDI clips in ableton? Vaguely recall this being possible with Clyph-x but I'd like to avoid diving down that rabbit hole again.  I'm not entirely sure based on which rules such an operation would decide which note gets blended in/faded out at what point, but I'm sure there would be some musically pleasing scenarios thinkable depending on the pattern. Or it could just be linear I guess where the first note in clip A gets added, which then replaces the first note in clip B for example. Or something based on velocity or note duration, or occurrence.      

I would start with Note Modulator by Robert Henke (https://roberthenke.com/technology/m4l.html). Stick a Velocity device after it that does not pass any notes that are too silent.

Set it up on both MIDI tracks that you want to crossfade so that each of the knobs is modulating/muting all notes in the 1st 2nd 3rd etc sub-measure. And then just hook up a MIDI controller to both of the modulators to be able to flip whether the 1st quarter note is played from clip A or clip B. This way you should avoid any problems if both MIDI clips want to play the same note at the same time.

Alternative way with the notemodulator device - and how I use it sometimes - is to keep it running in the default mode so that you have 8 or 16 modulation steps, and each note passed through the effect is modulated accordingly (this explanation sucks, just try it out yourself). So if I have two clips playing on two tracks, both have a modulator on them, then I can gradually decimate all the notes playing on track A, while fading up the velocity modulation on track B. This is super cool with instruments that have good dynamic velocity response.

10 hours ago, user said:

You could try Interpolate from the Magenta pack.

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/magenta-studio-free-ai-tools-ableton-live/

• Like 1

What about setting 2 empty MIDI tracks (each playing a clip) which outputs are routed to a 3rd MIDI track (with all the instruments and effects you need), and using Live’s built-in Crossfader to blend both to taste ? I don’t know if it’ll work (can’t test it now) but that could do the trick.

26 minutes ago, Nil said:

What about setting 2 empty MIDI tracks (each playing a clip) which outputs are routed to a 3rd MIDI track (with all the instruments and effects you need), and using Live’s built-in Crossfader to blend both to taste ? I don’t know if it’ll work (can’t test it now) but that could do the trick.

I am not sure how this would work with MIDI events. I would be very surprised if Live allows to add MIDI tracks to the crossfade groups.

Never tried so I’m not sure either. Instead of the Crossfader, using a couple of Velocity devices (one per « device less » MIDI track) and some MIDI / kb mapping should work. Quite similar to what you’ve described already.

Trouble with that is if you have a monophonic synth or a limited amount of voices then you do not want the same MIDI note-on/note-off pair to be sent at the same time, because while glitches are cool, they can also make a note ring out forever (unless you send a CC 123) on an external hardware device. So to have a robust and smooth "cross-fading" with MIDI, you need to somehow ensure that this kind of cross-talk does not happen.

That's my armchair theory at least, maybe I will get a chance to try it out later on because it seems like a really cool thing to try. ? 

Damn, thanks for coming through with a whole bunch of good ideas everyone. Plenty to try out. Haven't tried it yet but would be cool if the crossfader idea works, but I think Live's crossfader only works with audio.   

• 1 month later...

what happened to the yellow max devices? at first they were blue, but then there was that update 2 or so years ago, and they turned yellow and had better interfaces (imo). now with live 11, it seems they are back to the blue ones. any one else encountered some confusing stuff like this?

also i hate how all the effects are sorted in folders now. kills my workflow.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 4:57 PM, sheatheman said:

what happened to the yellow max devices? at first they were blue, but then there was that update 2 or so years ago, and they turned yellow and had better interfaces (imo). now with live 11, it seems they are back to the blue ones. any one else encountered some confusing stuff like this?

BUMP