IGNORED

Ableton Live 11

hijexx

Yeah I'm pretty sure I'll do the preorder deal too: I'm running live 9.7.7 i.e. The last 9 update before 10 came along (didn't deem 10 to be 100% worth the upgrade price plus think I was skint at the time)..think I can jump from  9.7 to 10 then 11 for the same price via this deal

Edited by Polytrix

I’ve been using Reaper for ages simply because Live is fucking expensive.  But I may be able to swing it with money from a little gig coming up — which I had initially planned to allocate to some hardware synthery. 

I like Reaper for straight live recording and it’s nice for mixing. But it doesn’t always feel like a great workflow for working with samples and softsynths with the odd bit of hardware thrown in.  Using Reaktor in Reaper has been a bit awkward, too, and a lot of midi setup seems to just disappear on a whim.

I dunno, I can try a stripped down version of Live but it’s really the stuff in Suite that seems interesting, but even with the discount it’s fucking pricey.

Not really sure what I’m saying here. Talk me out of it I guess?

The educational discount is pretty substantial if you can find someone to help you out.  Regardless, I think the basic Live will give you enough info on workflow.  All the Suite stuff can be safely Youtube'd IMO.

• Like 1

I feel like now that I have used suite for a long time, using lite feels nice. It’s still extremely useful. For instance, using lite as a hub for a bunch of hardware would solve all your audio and midi needs.

but for me upgrading has always been valuable. The new devices in 10 including integrated M4L basically evolved my style/workflow.

the most impactful upgrade though was that 9.5 upgrade in 2015. The analog modeled filters, for some reason, opened up my sound palate more than anything, and helped me go from using 10-15 effects to get my desired sound to maybe 3-4.

• Like 2

Slightly off topic: I love live 10, but I’ve never edited multiple midi clips at once, or edited audio directly in the arrangement view. I think I tried to figure it out but gave/decided I didn’t need to change that aspect of my workflow. Anyone know how to do this or do it regularly?

you can see it in this video at 1:40

Edited by sheatheman

I've yet to give multiclip editing a try with Live 11 but I'm pretty sure they've improved that feature quite significantly.

With L10, clips have to be sync'd (as in triggered at once) and in neighboor tracks. IIRC such limitations aren't anymore in 11. Once again, when L11 was first demonstrated from me I remember that very feature being redone in a clever, more intuitive way.

FWIW, these sweet sounding modeled filters are licensed by Cytomic, and are ports of the algos you'll find in Cytomic The Drop.

Edited by Nil

If you select multiple clips(with Ctrl or Shift), the editing window on the bottom should show both sets of MIDI notes overlapped.  If one clip is a few octaves above another, you may not see both sets right away, but if you hit 'fold' in the upper left of the editing window, it should show you all the notes from both clips.  You can swap between clips either by clicking one of the gray notes, or by clicking the corresponding bar at the top of the editing window.  

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, sheatheman said:

Awesome, thank you. What about editing audio directly in the arrangement view, as shown at 1:55 of the video. This one I really can’t figure

That one's new on me.  Although now I have something to figure out this afternoon.  

On 11/13/2020 at 8:30 PM, baph said:

I’ve been using Reaper for ages simply because Live is fucking expensive.  But I may be able to swing it with money from a little gig coming up — which I had initially planned to allocate to some hardware synthery. 

I like Reaper for straight live recording and it’s nice for mixing. But it doesn’t always feel like a great workflow for working with samples and softsynths with the odd bit of hardware thrown in.  Using Reaktor in Reaper has been a bit awkward, too, and a lot of midi setup seems to just disappear on a whim.

I dunno, I can try a stripped down version of Live but it’s really the stuff in Suite that seems interesting, but even with the discount it’s fucking pricey.

Not really sure what I’m saying here. Talk me out of it I guess?

If you can't find a way to use the edu discount, get the free lite first that's up at splice.com at the moment. Along with the 20% discount this will save you some extra cash (because of the lite to standard upgrade, or to suite)

Edited by Berk
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Berk said:

If you can't find a way to use the edu discount, get the free lite first that's up at splice.com at the moment. Along with the 20% discount this will save you some extra cash (because of the lite to standard upgrade, or to suite)

Doing this now, thanks!

22 hours ago, Berk said:

11 hours ago, baph said:

Doing this now, thanks!

And it works. Once you get Live Lite authorized on your Ableton account the cost of upgrading to Suite is $519 USD as opposed to the $599 at the 20% off pricing. 

Thanks again for suggesting this, I didn't realize that Lite would count towards a discount. 

• Like 1

It used to be that you also get a copy of Live Lite with some Novation controllers, so even once this Splice deal expires, you can sort of have a deal where you buy a controller and Live 11 and end up paying roughly the same amount as if just buying Live 11.

For once there is really nothing that attracts me in the update. If I'm looking at at 400 EUR upgrade price by the time 12 comes along, I'll seriously consider jumping ship for Bitwig.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

https://cdm.link/2021/02/monster-cheat-sheet-whats-new-in-ableton-live-11-and-how-to-start-using-it/

out today. CDM^ has a big 'cheat sheet' that looks like it's gonna be a good quick reference for new stuff

and of course Ableton detailed out some of the new bits: hybrid reverb sounds pretty damned good there, and i'm sure spectral time effect is gonna get plenty of (ab)use.

:catbed:

Thank you, it means a lot. I'm an IRL teacher / trainer, so it was quite intimidating to sit in front of a camera (rather than directly interacting with someone and cracking (poor) jokes while hopefully teaching something haha). It requires so much work, time and energy to shoot such a video. I don't know when, and I have no clue what it'll be about, but I'll make more, eventually.

The tune, Vwls, was first sketched after Ellipses sessions, totally reworked with Live 11 beta. I considered going full algomindfuck, then opted for poppier material hehe. Super glad you like the video, thanks again !

• Like 2