IGNORED

Sound Toys Plugins

sheatheman

I’m not a big plug in guy as you may know since I evangelize myself as such every chance I get. I’ve tried waves stuff and even have a cracked tape waves plug a friend sent me, but besides a few odds and ends (the big free ones, air windows, korg polysix), I’ve never really used a brand of plugins. I despise running authorizing software/keys etc.

however, last year I saw a YouTube video by Jamie Lidell on the soundtoys little altar boy, and it was one of the best showcases of a plug-in I’ve ever seen. After seeing that, I downloaded the demo of the suite and made a bunch of tracks. It was the first time i ever felt that excited about third party plugins, and considered buying but the sale window expired.

Just saw they have another sale on, and I might pull the trigger this time.

Thought I would start this thread to hear if anyone else likes Soundtoys/ can relate.

soundtoys are worth the money IMO. ive had them for a long time and use them on the reg.  i would say mostly filterfreq/crystalizer/microshift and decapitator.  on the right drum break,  the devil-loc can do pretty crazy thing.  they provide free updates from time to time as well.

they're good and one of the best things about them is the input/output stages can be over driven and the saturation/distortion is really nice. 

same for a lot of eventide plug ins. the input can be pushed and the analog modeling is really good. 

Came in to recommend the little plate. It sounds really good to me and I like how there are only 2 or 3 controls. Slap it on something, it works and you can move on. If it doesn’t work you also move on but in a different direction perhaps. 

Bought the whole bundle a couple years ago when they were having a hurricane relief benefit sale and I’m glad to say that all those people didn’t suffer needlessly. 

• Haha 1

If anyone is sitting on a fence about the Sound Toys collection, I would simply recommend that they buy one plugin for now, and get a significant discount on the bundle during the next sales campaign.  I think I got SieQ and Little Plate for free a couple of years ago, and picked up the collection 3 months later for $169.  It was money well spent.  

• Thanks 1

Man, these really are nice plugins. Definitely worth $230 for all of them.

if anything it’s nice to A/B them with my beloved stock ableton racks to work on my patching chops, but they definitely do have their own character.

that little plate is one of the nicest reverbs I’ve ever used 

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted support and turns out I was right. From their email:

”Little AlterBoy unfortunately isn't intended for performance use in real-time because we didn't find a way to lower the latency of the algorithm that we were fond of, but it's been something we've been working on improving since it's been released. The specific amount of time it will add to the overall latency depends on how the plugin host handles all the processing, but it's expected to have at least 54ms of latency which is still difficult to perform with, at least in my opinion.”

so that’s at least good to know my computer doesn’t have any problems. It’s just a shame because I had some sick effect chains 

At this point you could host the calculations on a server somewhere and have faster turnaround time.

Don't steal my new business idea of a plugin that you write a descriptive text in a box about what sound you like, then it just uploads your sound on a server, and some guy on amazon turk eventually gets around to looking at it.

On 12/2/2020 at 6:43 AM, thawkins said:

At this point you could host the calculations on a server somewhere and have faster turnaround time.

Don't steal my new business idea of a plugin that you write a descriptive text in a box about what sound you like, then it just uploads your sound on a server, and some guy on amazon turk eventually gets around to looking at it.

Amazon turk. Amazing