IGNORED

Black Friday Impulse Buys and the Dangerous Incomprehensibility of Electronic Currency

T3551ER

Ignore the fancy title. Mainly just thinking about how easy it is to drops loads of cash on VST's and software where, if you had to put it against a physical object, you might think twice. 

Question here is: Is there anything you're picking up for Black Friday that's a super steal (or that you already have, but you've noticed is a key piece of software other people should take advantage of)?

I picked up NI Noire for their 50% discount sale - I had, ahem, tried it out beforehand and feel like it's my perfect piano VST - the feel of it is exactly what I want and the added bonus of the particles engine makes for some very excellent ambience. Highly recommended. 

Also, while I really can't justify spending any more, would note that Spitfire Audio is having their black weekend sale and pretty much all their stuff is excellent. In particular, the Olafur Arnalds instruments are great sounding w/ an interesting, sort of modular sequencer. 

I bought a vertical VESA monitor stand on Amazon for 10% off so I can stop sharing one monitor between both computers I use when I'm streaming. That's it.  Got it instead of the Sound Toys Little Plate (for about $12 less).

16 hours ago, T3551ER said:

Also, while I really can't justify spending any more, would note that Spitfire Audio is having their black weekend sale and pretty much all their stuff is excellent. In particular, the Olafur Arnalds instruments are great sounding w/ an interesting, sort of modular sequencer. 

Having a lot of fun at the moment with their free LABS sound libraries. 

3 hours ago, thawkins said:

Really glad that now when I am not buying so much gear, we get to have a GAS thread for each user.

I uhhhh want to buy some cable.. no I have all the cables. Maybe a MIDI interface? Yeah.

You should make a thread too.

re: the point about the nebulous value of digital goods, I bought my DEWALT miter saw for less than the sound toys bundle. 

• Like 1

@ignatius cheers, bought ?

@sheatheman yeah, the Soundtoys bundle looks great, wish I had a little more cash. Particularly like that Jamie Lidell vid. Miter saw ftw! (Sample that shit!)

@Berk totally! Their labs stuff always seems to have a high degree of quality and/or something unique about the sounds. Only recently discovered the company, really enjoy their obvious love of sound 

and, yeah, sort of a GAS thread but really more of a what kind of deals are out there for this particular period of time. Not trying to disturb the balance of the force so happy if mods want to merge (though it will assuredly die on its own in t-minus 5 days)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sheatheman said:

You should make a thread too.

re: the point about the nebulous value of digital goods, I bought my DEWALT miter saw for less than the sound toys bundle. 

An old roommate of mine who was a part time framer had a DeWalt miter saw, it was really nice for the price.  Good one!

3 hours ago, Hiek said:

having fun with the Reason plugin inside Renoise, just bought the intro version which is only 55 euro's atm.

Oh great. Now you have me gassing for something I really really do not need and will likely never use.

4 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

Oh great. Now you have me gassing for something I really really do not need and will likely never use.

?There's a 30 day trial/demo which will let you do everything besides saving, will be a good way to see if it can be usefull. 

12 hours ago, Hiek said:

?There's a 30 day trial/demo which will let you do everything besides saving, will be a good way to see if it can be usefull. 

Good one.

Now I know my eyesight isn’t good enough to work with Reason on a 13” MBP

Had fun playing with it, though.

Edited by rhmilo

I think it belongs more in here than the free software thread, but Slate have a a new enhancer plugin that's free right now, so you can make everything sound bright and painful:

https://app.slatedigital.com/checkout?catalogItemReferenceId=fresh-air

I just bought some Jorgensen clamps from Lowe’s that weren’t on sale. I almost bought a Lenox hole saw kit for 1/2 off, but can count on one hand the times I’ve needed a hole saw, and I can usually use my jigsaw instead.

oh I also got NanoStudio 2 and the synth in there is awesome.

anyone know of a good comb filter plugin? Can’t believe ableton doesn’t have one

plug in alliance $29.99 coupon for any plug in. bought the elysia Mpressor which blew my mind. the ant-log release and autofast settings are ridiculous. very creative compressor especially when in unlinked mode. didn't expect to be impressed by a compressor but it's got some magic in it. 

18 minutes ago, ignatius said:

bought the elysia Mpressor which blew my mind. 

that's one of my fav plugin compressors! sounds great, great control; so versatile! 

Edited by xox

5 minutes ago, xox said:

that's one of my fav plugin compressors! sounds great, great control; so versatile! 

i didn't expect the anti-log setting to be such a big deal but it is!

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 1:38 AM, sheatheman said:

I just bought some Jorgensen clamps from Lowe’s that weren’t on sale. I almost bought a Lenox hole saw kit for 1/2 off, but can count on one hand the times I’ve needed a hole saw, and I can usually use my jigsaw instead.

oh I also got NanoStudio 2 and the synth in there is awesome.

anyone know of a good comb filter plugin? Can’t believe ableton doesn’t have one

Don’t recall using any of them but there’s a couple free comb filters on maxforlive.com you could try. 

https://maxforlive.com/library/device/4862/bp-comb-filter-maxpat-amxd

Ended up picking up Wavesfactory Track Spacer for half off ($30) and so far it's been a really good move.  I already like to use sidechained dynamic EQ for a lot of things (I like to have pads with a lot of low and low-mid and use sidechain EQ to punch holes for kick and short bass notes, for example) and this is a much more controllable, detailed way to do it.  Different sound but I really like it. Only thing I wish it had was band reject on the sidechain instead of just low and high cut, so you could easily apply it to both extremes of the frequency spectrum only, without having to use a separate filter on the sidechain signal.

I’m buying a bunch of homemade masks for my whole family from a neighbor that runs a shop out of her garage. Their all quite good and a few dollars off this weekend. We have a few of her masks already and we get complements everywhere we go. 
Shopping small/local (I know, probably not the point of this thread) but still nabbing the Black Friday weekend deals! ?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

I’m buying a bunch of homemade masks for my whole family from a neighbor that runs a shop out of her garage. Their all quite good and a few dollars off this weekend. We have a few of her masks already and we get complements everywhere we go. 
Shopping small/local (I know, probably not the point of this thread) but still nabbing the Black Friday weekend deals! ?

MY mom made a bunch of Jesse Killion pattern masks (with ties instead of elastics) and having a good, fitted design makes such a huge difference.

• Burger 1