Trees are, together with oceans and seas, my favourite naturally occurring feature of the outdoors. I enjoy looking up at trees against the sky in winter because their branches and twigs look like the axons and dendrites of a neural network.

Also this song is quite nice.

• Like 2

image.thumb.png.7f85fb5158fc99d40f128082e2ae25d8.png

http://www.pitts.emory.edu/woodcuts/1587Sade/00024820.pdf

This image comes from “Sylvae Sacrae,” dated 1594, bound with “Solitudo, sive, Vitae patrum eremicolarum”. Saint Zoerarde, also called Saint Andrew Svorad (11th century) practices extreme penitence with chains, and devices to prevent sleep.

very weird woodcut. the more you look at it the stranger it gets. trees are weird and weird people like hanging out in trees. love it.

On 2/6/2021 at 12:05 PM, chenGOD said:

Although somewhat ubiquitous, the cherry blossoms in Japan are something quite spectacular. 

they are lovely, don't care how common they may be. considered planting a grove of them in a clearing in my back acre, but i think they're not too great for my area's climate. need to research some more because i'm sure gonna plant something there.

On 2/6/2021 at 10:19 AM, whosebrian said:

love how the supernatural force that has overtaken the tree makes sure to close the blinds after it's abducted the boy. courteous, at least.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

An_Oak_Tree_(conceptual_art_installation).thumb.jpg.384b4d378a4bbf9ff24a58df9ce96129.jpg

An Oak Tree is a conceptual work of art created by Michael Craig-Martin in 1973. The piece, described as being an oak tree, is installed in two units – a pristine installation of a glass of water on a glass shelf on metal brackets 253 centimetres above the ground, and a text mounted on the wall.

The text takes the form of a Q&A about the artwork, in which Craig-Martin describes changing "a glass of water into a full-grown oak tree without altering the accidents of the glass of water," and explains that "the actual oak tree is physically present but in the form of the glass of water." Craig-Martin considered "the work of art in such a way as to reveal its single basic and essential element, belief that is the confident faith of the artist in his capacity to speak and the willing faith of the viewer in accepting what he has to say".

The Catholic Herald compared the work to the Roman Catholic doctrine of Transubstantiation and the Real Presence.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Oak_Tree

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transubstantiation

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
2 hours ago, auxien said:

tumblr_c616e395a97d8bd7c9591ae062e4a845_59fe9d1e_1280.thumb.jpg.eca664fb5eb19b10202922a72d1d9df7.jpg

Is that you, Auxien? The tree looks like something out of a Brian Froud book. 

• Like 1

Got to visit this tree on my trip to Wales this past October. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llangernyw_Yew

spacer.png

This yew tree lives in the churchyard of St. Digain's Church in Llangernyw village. Although it is very hard to determine the age of yew trees,[2][3] the churchyard gate holds a certificate from the Yew Tree Campaign in 2002, signed by David Bellamy, which states that "according to all the data we have to hand" the tree is dated to between 4,000 and 5,000 years old. . . . A carved stone board by the tree itself also confirms that estimate and also puts the age of the tree at 4000-5000 years, which would make the Llangernyw Yew one of the oldest non-cloning trees in the world, potentially rivalling Methuselah in California and even the Fortingall Yew in Scotland. . . .

According to local tradition, the church of Llangernyw is inhabited by an ancient spirit known as Angelystor (the "Recording Angel" or "Evangelist" in Welsh[9]). This tradition holds that every year at Halloween a booming voice foretells the names of parishioners who will die the following year. Folklore tells of a disbelieving local man, Siôn Ap Rhobert, who challenged the existence of the spirit one Halloween night only to hear his own name called out, followed by his death within the year.[10]

When I visited, nobody was around so I spent some time with the tree and went into the church to sign the guestbook. As I was doing so, a female pastor came to lock up the church and was startled to find me. We had a lovely conversation and she gave me another tour of the tree with some of her insights. One of the highlights of the trip for sure. She also showed me a part of the ancient branch that unmistakably resembles the head of a dragon (a bit of national pride, as the dragon is the centerpiece of the welsh flag 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 ). 
Pretty cool how the old headstones were surrounding it. 
image.thumb.jpeg.af35f990c90857b4184a635c667e479b.jpeg

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, YEK said:

Is that you, Auxien? The tree looks like something out of a Brian Froud book. 

def not me, if that'd have been me i'd have never left. such a beautiful & weird tree. random photo found via Tumblr. definitely has those vibes you're talking about, just missing some little strange creatures...

8 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Got to visit this tree on my trip to Wales this past October. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llangernyw_Yew

spacer.png

When I visited, nobody was around so I spent some time with the tree and went into the church to sign the guestbook. As I was doing so, a female pastor came to lock up the church and was startled to find me. We had a lovely conversation and she gave me another tour of the tree with some of her insights. One of the highlights of the trip for sure. She also showed me a part of the ancient branch that unmistakably resembles the head of a dragon (a bit of national pride, as the dragon is the centerpiece of the welsh flag 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 ). 
Pretty cool how the old headstones were surrounding it. 
image.thumb.jpeg.af35f990c90857b4184a635c667e479b.jpeg

that Wikipedia pronunciation of the place is not what i was expecting, love it. lovely tree...can sure see the dragon hints there

• Like 2

8 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Where is this Mr xox?

Would love to tell you but i don’t know; I found those pictures on the internet, godknows where