IGNORED

Aphex already did it

marf

i think studying music can deepens the appreciation but i dont think its in any way needed or prerequisite

all you need to understand music is to have ears

i would even argue that the notion that music is to be understood is non sense

you either feel it or you dont

understanding doesnt mean anything

its like people looking at art saying ''i dont understand this painting''

there is nothing to be ''understood''

it is something to be felt more than something to be understood it seems to me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, brian trageskin said:

there's this misguided notion that the more you study music, the less you enjoy it.

sometimes i wish i was the beatles teen and listen to a goddamn song without looking at it in a technical perspective... i get what alcofibras said, u may know more and have a lot more to look at in a song if you study music but some of the magic is gone... imho, afaik, tldr, asap...

nah I think this is a weird positivist approach to music, that a proper understanding is inherently accumulative, ie more of a specific kind o information = more “true” understanding or something. I just don’t believe in that at all, it’s only one particular style of organizing information and forming a consensus. Not to mention the fact that it simply does not translate to understanding other kinds of music outside of the rough category of European art music from the last 300 years.

it’s wack to think someone spending years deeply listening to music doesn’t properly understand it unless they know what C major is or something. 

wake me up when we’ve surpassed the wynton marsalis school of music appreciation 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think the mistake Brian did is to underestimate the audience or have a bit of a generalization of the audience.

Never take for granted what an audience might like or not like.

To say it's better to start with bebop because it's easier is not a fact imo.

It's like saying the Beatles is easier to get into than Metal.

Might be true for some but you can't generalize too much with music, too many variables, too many different subjective point of views with something like music.

The guy in front of you maybe will become the biggest free jazz fan of all time, he just doesnt know yet.

It's like when people ask what is a good first track to recommend to people that are curious about AFX.

Many answer Flim or whatever because it's easier or chill or whatever.

Well i would say it certainly can be , but maybe ziggomatic will also really hook them.

Really, i think you should never underestimate people ability to feel pieces that are more unconventional or more intense.

Best example in my own life are my own mother and my girlfriend.

Neither are musicians but through my listening habits they've been expose to really weird and experimental stuff and they often love it.

People are surprising.

• Like 2

Now that is a good question.

I dont even know myself.It just double space everytime i hit enter.Probably lack of knowledge of the WATMM way of spacing sentences.

• Like 1

I will not write with big space anymoreI will not write with big space anymoreI will not write with big space anymoreI will not write with big space anymoreI will not write with big space anymoreI will not write with big space anymoreI will not write with big space anymoreI will not write with big space anymoreI will not write with big space anymoreI will not write with big space anymoreI will not write with big space anymoreI will not write with big space anymoreI will not write with big space anymoreI will not write with big space anymoreI will not write with big space anymoreI will not write with big space anymoreI will not write with big space anymoreI will not write with big space anymoreI will not write with big space anymoreI will not write with big space anymoreI will not write with big space anymoreI will not write with big space anymoreI will not write with big space anymoreI will not write with big space anymore

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

at least he's not talking shit like mr. brian dancer...

oh come now Tim, he's really not that bad... at least he isn't angry like some of the guys that used to post on here back in the day. jfc there were some mad people on here in the early years. remember that guy pen exper, or something like that? holy shit those were some angry, hateful posts.

52 minutes ago, zero said:

oh come now Tim, he's really not that bad... at least he isn't angry like YOU and some of the guys that used to post on here back in the day. jfc there were some mad people on here in the early years. remember that guy pen exper, or something like that? holy shit those were some angry, hateful posts.

lol i member

i'm just teasing brian, he knows i love him...

edit: don't get any ideas dingdong, it's just platonic love...

Edited by Tim_J
  • Like 2

• Joyrex changed the title to Aphex already did it