• Instagram
    • Facebook
    • The Twitters
    • Snapchat
    • Ticky Tocky
    • Grindr
    • Reddit
    • Other: explain below

Whadup WATMM! So, for one of my courses, I'm doing a specialization in Social Media Promotion. One of the research avenues I said I'd pursue was to reach out to forums to learn how other people are approaching this. Of course, when I think of Social Media Marketing empires, WATMM springs to the forefront of my consciousness. With over 10-12 people posting regularly at any one point of time, and a complete stranglehold over the extremely elevated and exclusive segment of the market for weird, zig-zaggy sounds that likely make most people want to vomit, I feel that WATMM has invaluable insight to share. 

Ok, seriously, all jokes aside, has anyone here had any success in social media marketing? Do you use Facebook, Youtube, Instagram or other outlets? Should I make this a poll? I should probably make a poll. 

Legitimately interested actually - this could be success either in your own music or for work stuffs, any info is gravy. TTFN

• Like 1

Lately I've been working with engineering companies that do basically just B2B so it's like 95% LinkedIn tbh.

1 minute ago, perunamuusi said:

can you make the poll so you can vote for more than one option?

not that I use any of them for promotion purposes,  but if I did I would use more than one

Done

• Like 1

I think @modey would be a good person to ask about this.

Personally, I haven't really had any luck with FB, but IG has had a good trickle of followers and site visits. Having an aggregate like a record label is really good because it's a sign of legitimacy in addition to reaching more people that never would have heard of you. Inside that, there's a bit of a catch 22 since you kind of need to have some followers to even get on a record label. Doing something novel or running a YT channel that's focused on music production or something like that could help.

Also, being part of a community like WATMM or r/idm is a strong way to do that. But you have to be active in it for it to be effective.

At the end of the day, you need to be social in order to get people to hear your music. Being social in person has been like ten times as helpful as trying to do this online. Not everybody is a Heorge Garrison, so don't hedge your bets on being able to grow interest because you're mysterious.

• Like 1

Thanks @Braintree really do appreciate your thoughts here. Will be interested to what modey has to say (if/when he responds). Something that I've definitely been thinking about over the course of this semester has been this sort of weird paradox where you need to have a certain number of followers to gain legitimacy but without legitimacy you can't gain followers. 

I agree about the social aspect - I've got a good m8 who is killing it on instagram, and it's partly because he really does a good job of continuously and actively engaging people. 

off topic: I just noticed your XBOX live handle and holy effing lol that's awesome

• Like 2

When I was working as a research assistant for a professor, one of his projects was a sort of micro-journal, like academic short-form writing (not really a blog, because there lots and lots of contributors). I used Twitter, Facebook, and an e-mail list to promote the work, and we did see some expansion in readership, which was pretty good for an Asian Studies focused project. 

I’ll note that “engagements” on socials need to be both sustained and if not attention grabbing, at least somewhat compelling to the target audience. 

4 hours ago, zkom said:

B2B so it's like 95% LinkedIn tbh.

same. I'm not in sales/marketing, but the sales people I work with all put out stuff on Linkedin all the time.

@chenGOD Cheers! Very cool to see this sort of stuff have an actual effect. It does seem like one theme that is emerging here is the sustained nature of social media stuffs - like, even the external research I've done has supported you have to have a regular cadence you maintain for it to work

@zero cheers. That's actually really useful - I'm such a casual user of LinkedIn, so it's interesting to have two people now peg this as a B2B strategy. 

On 3/30/2021 at 6:41 AM, Braintree said:

I think @modey would be a good person to ask about this.

ha maybe

I kinda know what has to be done, but I can never keep it up. Consistency is a big one. I also noticed a pretty decent increase in my subscribers/viewers once I started becoming a bit more open about my processes/knowledge, whether through live streams where people can watch me make a track, or even tutorial videos showing how to do some obscure thing generally nobody really would use but is perhaps interesting enough to attract viewers lol.

9 hours ago, Stickfigger said:

Modey has very nice hands and the word around reddit is that many people watch the vids just for a perve. Do we know if youtube can provide information about how many viewers watched a vid on mute?

I have looked everywhere in the analytics on YouTube and don’t see anyway to trace muted playback. It’s definitely something I’ve wondered before. Also, I’m always curious what quality people are choosing, I can’t find a way to track that either.

On 3/29/2021 at 4:24 PM, T3551ER said:

Thanks @Braintree really do appreciate your thoughts here. Will be interested to what modey has to say (if/when he responds). Something that I've definitely been thinking about over the course of this semester has been this sort of weird paradox where you need to have a certain number of followers to gain legitimacy but without legitimacy you can't gain followers. 

I agree about the social aspect - I've got a good m8 who is killing it on instagram, and it's partly because he really does a good job of continuously and actively engaging people. 

off topic: I just noticed your XBOX live handle and holy effing lol that's awesome

It really does seem like a lot of people are paying for subs and plays on YouTube and SoundCloud. I am curious to know what changes would occur on our YouTube if we did that. Would our videos seem more legitimate? Does anyone else on here feel somewhat a victim of this? 

Here is some very shameless self promotion/fun fact based on your comment:

https://pinebox.bandcamp.com/album/sociopathogen

@Braintree and I collaborated on this project years ago, and the name is actually based on a lot of the concepts in this thread.

• Like 1

@modey@Stickfigger I'm both more enlightened about social marketing and vaguely aroused. Thank you both. Seriously, though, helpful insights. My buddy who is killing it on the socials has been getting a lot of engagement doing live tests of synths and whatnot. Think stuff like that plus tutorials do tend to engage people a bit more sometimes - like, there is a takeaway lesson/bit of knowledge they can apply to their own projects. I know it's been something that's drawn me in - prob watched more Ned Rush tuts than any other vids in the past couple of years...

@Himelstein no worries about shameless plugs, that's kind of what this thread is all about! Digging the tunes - as I'm listening I feel like they do a nice job of being from no particular era in particular. Like I know they were written years ago, but the use of vocal samples and programming seem to juxtapose that old with the modern in a way that makes them out of time. Anyway, the name is probably perfect for this stuff. Virally and sociopathically spreading your musical infection into the ears of the masses like those worm things from the Wrath of Khan. 

• Like 1